4p Power advisory

Patriot

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - March 2011/June 2013/De
Please refrain from using Molex to EPS 12v adapters on your 4p systems.

I have seen this picture and those like it too much...

molex-eps-sm.jpg

Even dual molex to 12v eps are not a good idea.
If there is absolutely no way to do an 8pin EPS from the psu directly (no Ys or splitters)...
I suggest a PCIE to EPS adapter.

Each wire is rated at about 7A, the EPS 8pin is therefore rated at 28A.
A single molex has 1 7A line... dual molex 2, pcie 3....
Trying to push 28A through a single wire is just a bad idea.

Also 4-pin Molex are typically on the same "rail" as the 24pin...so you are not really gaining anything other than a firehazard.

Ouchie. We need a machine that takes smoke and puts it back in the computer part it came out of, thereby fixing it.

FYI - that particular adapter was in a 2P system - 2 x 6274 and only occured after making a change that sort of forced the CPUs to run at their all-core driven "turbo" speeds all the time. So while that does bump up the power usage (maybe 50-60W total) I was still surprised to see the melted adapter.

I have a dual molex to eps in their now till my 6-pin pci-e to eps adapter arrives.

It might be me, but what is the problem :D

Not as big of a problem if its the 3rd EPS plug and not the 2nd and 3rd.
Also 2 Molex to EPS is not AS bad...

But I still recommend for safety PCIE to EPS for all non native EPS board plugs.

Can anyone recommend a specific brand/model? The only one I can even find is this one.

There should have been made possible to buy extra EPS-12V cables such the original that came with the one rail PSU. My Corsair AX 1200W comes with 2 such cables, but have 8 connectors, so to use four EPS-12 cables is no problem. I have asked the shop for extra EPS-12V, but they can not buy them from the manufactor. I thinking to buy a Corsair AX 750 just to get the extra 2 x EPS-12V.

Looks like I missed putting the scacrams tags on my statement. On both of my 4P setups, I use 6-pin PCIe to 8-pin EPS adapters. Basically the same ones 'tkam' posted about.

There should have been made possible to buy extra EPS-12V cables such the original that came with the one rail PSU. My Corsair AX 1200W comes with 2 such cables, but have 8 connectors, so to use four EPS-12 cables is no problem. I have asked the shop for extra EPS-12V, but they can not buy them from the manufactor. I thinking to buy a Corsair AX 750 just to get the extra 2 x EPS-12V.

Corsair do sell cable kits so you might be OK, drop them an email and see what they can do, their service is awesome

Thanks, I will try doing that, that for sure!

Update: I did send them an e-mail, and I also find this in my local shop: http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=756994 Thanks to KMac Very expensive, about (NOK695 / 5,92) = $117.40. If there will be no answer from Corsair Customer service, this is an alternative!

Last edited:
I just made sure I had two connectors on the PSUs I bought. Then again, I bought the PSUs specifically for my both of my 4ps and also my 2p. Considering the cost of the other components and 7x24 nature of folding, I thought it was worth it. If you watch, you can get some very good deals on Corsair, SilverStone, and PC Power and Cooling PSUs.

The cables from the AX750 are not compatible with AX1200. At least, there are warnings not to mix the cables.

Thanks for warning, KMac PM me about that. And I learn that it is cheaper to buy the ekstra Sleeved Modular cables I linked to some where over here.

Back