Twitter Shielding Man Threatening A Shooting Rampage?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Twitter needs to get its priorities straight. The company's response to someone making a "people are gonna die like Aurora" threat? This:

“We appreciate the timeliness and sensitivity of this matter, and have reviewed the reported Twitter account,” the e-mail said. "While we do invoke emergency-disclosure procedures when it appears that a threat is present, specific and immediate, this does not appear to fall under those strict parameters as per our policies.”

The 4th is there for a reason. Twitter is well within it's rights.

Aside from Twitter being yet another place where some really stupid stuff is posted by some really stupid people...do you really want service providers to hand out your information to anyone who asks for it?

Didn't twitter turn over the comment made to the olympian regarding "letting your father down" or something to that effect that he is now facing criminal charges for in England?

I'm kind of torn on this one. On the one hand, I don't think Twitter should just give out info so that more people can get wrongly "swatted", but at the same time it appears this guy made multiple specific threats and continues to do so.

Didn't twitter turn over the comment made to the olympian regarding "letting your father down" or something to that effect that he is now facing criminal charges for in England?

I thought the comments were retweeted by a follower.

Yet they hand out your data nilly-willy when it suits their needs. Tweet about the Olympics? Your ass is turned IN MISTAR!!! Mass murder / death threats? Not so much.

Oh well, at least we can all take comfort in knowing that Twitter is the one deciding what is a threat and what isn't. :rolleyes:

Yet they hand out your data nilly-willy when it suits their needs. Tweet about the Olympics? Your ass is turned IN MISTAR!!! Mass murder / death threats? Not so much.

Oh well, at least we can all take comfort in knowing that Twitter is the one deciding what is a threat and what isn't. :rolleyes:

And you would prefer that the government decides this? Sign me up for a tin foil hat, but no thank you.

And you would prefer that the government decides this? Sign me up for a tin foil hat, but no thank you.

Even your Doctor is legally bound to divulge your identity if you make death threats.

Doctor patient privilege goes out the window under those circumstances.

Twitter is a BS social network and I doubt the courts will award them more privilege than a Doctor.

If people were less dumb and out of control of themselves, there'd be no reason for this kinda thing.

On the other hand, they can wake up a judge, and get it legally in a couple of hours without encroaching on anyone's freedoms. All anyone is saying is that they have to do through the judge to check the power first. And it's a good thing.

Even your Doctor is legally bound to divulge your identity if you make death threats.

Twitter is a BS social network and I doubt the courts will award them more privilege than a Doctor.

Same thing with lawyer/client privileges. If their client tells them that they are going to go out and kill people, lawyers are legally bound to turn them over to the cops.

However, some lawyers might not do so because they don't feel like they'd get caught.

Credible threats. As in they have to believe there is a chance you'll do it. How you can assign the same credibility towards a post on twitter that you would confide in a doctor is beyond me.

Next you are going to tell me everything said on [H]ard is 100% people's real and true opinions, no one ever jokes, hyperboles, or trolls.

I'm pretty sure that 0 % of all mass killings are tweeted before hand by the Killer.

props to twits for keeping their wits.

What I find funny is that I've seen someone first hand trying to get someone arrested for a valid death threat (by a guy that punched an on duty cop ten years prior) made with witnesses present to back it up and the Sheriff clearly stated "death threats are not crimes unless it's associated with domestic violence".

We believed him...

What I find funny is that I've seen someone first hand trying to get someone arrested for a valid death threat (by a guy that punched an on duty cop ten years prior) made with witnesses present to back it up and the Sheriff clearly stated "death threats are not crimes unless it's associated with domestic violence".

We believed him...

If that's the case, then me saying "I'm gonna blow up this school" is not a crime until the bomb is triggered.

Credible threats. As in they have to believe there is a chance you'll do it. How you can assign the same credibility towards a post on twitter that you would confide in a doctor is beyond me.

Next you are going to tell me everything said on [H]ard is 100% people's real and true opinions, no one ever jokes, hyperboles, or trolls.

I'm holding a knife here and I'm gonna

Ouch fuck! ouch! I fucking cut my hand! God, fuck!

I don't think that a warranted search with respect to a clear deliberate death threat is in any way unreasonable.

Key word in that statement is warrant. They didn't have one. They could EASILY get one if it is a clear and deliberate death threat.

Aside from Twitter being yet another place where some really stupid stuff is posted by some really stupid people...do you really want service providers to hand out your information to anyone who asks for it?

If the cops want info from twitter they will need a judge to sign off on it. Twitter had every right to tell them to go pound sand.

Related story...I work at a telecom company where we offer VoIP with E911 services. I got a call from someone claiming to be an officer with a sheriffs department asking for info on a particular number that had just called 911 making suicide threats. For whatever reason our wholesale customer never put in a service address so the 911 dispatcher never got an address when the person called in. I couldn't help the supposed officer guy. Even if I had an address I still wouldn't have given it to him. How would I know he just wasn't some jag off trying to hunt his ex girl friend?

What happened to the supposed 911 caller? Don't know, don't care. He could have eaten his shotgun for all I cared.

Long story short...don't fault anyone for not telling the cops anything without a warrant or subpoena.

Back