eBay Launches Same-Day Delivery Program

HardOCP News

[H] News
Does this sound appealing to anyone? It's not like you are getting same day delivery on that video card auction you just won, these are stores like Best Buy, Target and Toys'R'Us in your own home town. If that is the case, why wouldn't you just order from them directly?

The new eBay Now service doesn't work the way the traditional auction site does. Instead of buying items from a stranger in Arkansas selling a life-size bigfoot replica, eBay Now connects you to stores in your neighborhood such as Target, Macy's, and Best Buy. That way, you can order an item and get it delivered in as little as an hour.

Why not just go to the store directly? In most cases, you could go to the store, purchase the item, and be home in under an hour.

It made no sense until I read that it's basically like a courier service between you and the store. So you don't actually have to leave your house and get the stuff delievered immediately. Would be good for those without easy transportation or, depending on distance, those that are far enough away to make it not worth the gas. For instance, they have B&N and Best Buy listed for me, but those stores are about 18 miles away. For me to go there it would take almost an hour of travel time alone, plus the cost of gas which, for 36 miles, would be about a gallon and change for me (so around $4-5). This service offers $5 same-day shipping. Seems worth it to me.

It made no sense until I read that it's basically like a courier service between you and the store. So you don't actually have to leave your house and get the stuff delievered immediately. Would be good for those without easy transportation or, depending on distance, those that are far enough away to make it not worth the gas. For instance, they have B&N and Best Buy listed for me, but those stores are about 18 miles away. For me to go there it would take almost an hour of travel time alone, plus the cost of gas which, for 36 miles, would be about a gallon and change for me (so around $4-5). This service offers $5 same-day shipping. Seems worth it to me.

wow, 18 miles takes an hour for where you are? that's some traffic. i do not envy that.

honestly, i kind of dig this, for my situation.. i work overnight, and sleep during most places hours of business.. so if i can be asleep, and take delivery of items, it would be fairly handy..

Why not just go to the store directly? In most cases, you could go to the store, purchase the item, and be home in under an hour.
Why would anyone pay $2.50 delivery charge AND tip the driver for pizza, when they could just drive to the pizza shop and get it themselves?

No one is ever going to do that... pffft.

So, are items priced based upon competing with AZ, or are you charged what the local store sells at? Who do I return/rma to?

wow, 18 miles takes an hour for where you are? that's some traffic. i do not envy that.

honestly, i kind of dig this, for my situation.. i work overnight, and sleep during most places hours of business.. so if i can be asleep, and take delivery of items, it would be fairly handy..

He said he lives 18 miles one way and so round trip 36 miles would be roughly an hour. I bet you would be hard pressed to find a normal city or urban area that does much better than that.

Convenience, same reason I don't call each hotel to find the price then book locally, why when one site has it all, and if I am used to using that site its great, I don't even need to leave my house. It used to be very popular for people to hire groceries to be delivered.

The fact is I think this will soon be the future of America, the auto industry already has just such a system set up because cars need to be fixed same day. They take your vehicle in the morning figure out what is wrong then distro centers deliver all order same day if they are in before lunch. Then they fix all the cars after lunch.

We could see the same thing for high volume items, imagine you put together an order and local distro centers fill the order sometimes from many different stores and it all plops down on your door step the same day or the next day depending on when you order.

Amazon Prime. Free 2nd day delivery, at longest. Usually I get things next day. No tax either. Hell, I ordered q-tips from them recently.

Back