The World’s Most Famous Photo?

I thought for sure I was taking a significant risk clicking the comments link from my work computer and instead I find...nothing.

I love this photo, it leave so much room for Photochopping lol

Huh interesting. If I was asked what photograph was the most famous, I would have answered the sailor kissing some random girl at Times Square during VJ-Day celebration.

Huh interesting. If I was asked what photograph was the most famous, I would have answered the sailor kissing some random girl at Times Square during VJ-Day celebration.

That is what I thought was going to show up when I clicked the link.

I hate that picture with a passion. I can´t count the number of times I have removed this from computers.

Fuck the default Windows XP wallpaper. I am sick to death of that picture. I am greeted with it everytime I sign into work.

Really, "Most Famous"? Not the picture of the guys putting up the flag at Iwo Jima, or the kissing picture on VE-day?

Maybe one of the most inadvertently viewed, but certainly not the most famous.

And here's what it looks like today

blisstoday.jpg

http://thenextweb.com/shareables/2011/08/28/ever-wonder-where-the-windows-xp-default-wallpaper-came-from/

Wow I expected Mona Lisa or something like that. Though that's not really a "picture" per say.

I just realized how funny it would be to set it as my desktop on my Linux machine. I think I need to do this. :p

Really, "Most Famous"? Not the picture of the guys putting up the flag at Iwo Jima, or the kissing picture on VE-day?

Maybe one of the most inadvertently viewed, but certainly not the most famous.

Not errybuddy is 'Merican!

I was expecting Buddhist monk self immolation.

Not errybuddy is 'Merican!

I was expecting Buddhist monk self immolation.

I doubt it matters too much if you're American for those two pictures I mentioned. But yeah, yours is another one. Also, the guy standing in front of the tank at Tienanmen Square.

I doubt it matters too much if you're American for those two pictures I mentioned. But yeah, yours is another one. Also, the guy standing in front of the tank at Tienanmen Square.

Yes it does. I seen those maybe once or twice in some historic documentary, and many didn't even seen those even there. As he said, World doesn't equal USA.

You guys and gals are posting ideas of what intelligent people may consider a famous or widely popular picture. You have to know a little history to recognize those pictures apart from the awesome RATM album artwork. On the other hand, billions of people have most likely used Windows XP, and even if they did learn to change their wallpaper they had to of at least seen the image. Perhaps instead of the most famous image it should be labeled the most infamous.

Damn am I a noob, I didn't realize that was a real photo. I thought it was just a doctored piece of work with elements from different photos because of how crips the sky and everything was.

World doesn't equal USA.

And you just lost all American readers :p

It probably is the world's most famous photo just purely as far as exposure goes. You can go into a little cyber cafe in some third world country and still see that wallpaper, I doubt any of the VJ day photos or Iwo Jima have anywhere near that exposure. Maybe the image of Che Guevara might be up there, but still... Windows XP wallpaper you'd think just about anyone who has seen a computer in the past 10 years has seen that image.

Damn am I a noob, I didn't realize that was a real photo. I thought it was just a doctored piece of work with elements from different photos because of how crips the sky and everything was.

Same here. I guess I've been living in the city way too long. Still use the wallpaper on my XP laptop.

I've never heard of either of those two pictures, so I think it does matter.

Now the Mona Lisa, or Starry Night... those I think most people know.

I've never heard of either of those two pictures, so I think it does matter.

Now the Mona Lisa, or Starry Night... those I think most people know.

Them ain't no stinking photographs. Them is paintings. Why you ain't know this?

I'm sure people in Croatia remember vividly when Dewey defeated Truman.

They should. They (and Serbia) started both World Wars despite popular beliefs that Germany did. The Croat children are told stories about Truman and FDR when they misbehave to put them back in line.

I'm glad to not be the only one that always thought that pic was a photoshop special. Seriously, the sky just looks so pasted in I always thought it was fake. As for the most famous part, I would agree.

Back