Win 8 Storage Space - How do I remove a Hard Drive??

Savi

Gawd
Hello, I need some help with Win 8 Storage Space's Aside from a few small things so far I am happy with how it is working, but I can not seem to find how to remove a Hard Drive from my Storage Pool/Space I want to remove a 500gb HD and add in a 3tb HD I do not have any more room to add in more Hard Drives unless i buy a new case and a controller card

I have about 7tb of data in the Storage Space, I have about 12tb total capacity leaving me 4.8 tb free space right now. I should have plenty of room to remove a 500gb HD I am using Parity

From control panel all I can do is rename a Physical Drive, every time I added a new hard drive there was a remove link right under the rename but after a PC restart that would go away.

No idea what to do lol I have tired to Retire a hard drive from power shell but it told me access denied, First time using power shell btw so i might have done some thing wrong i took a screen shot any help be nice. Sorry for any typos

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/1993/52539267.png

As far as I've been able to determine, there is no graceful way to remove a drive from the pool. I played with Storage Spaces for a bit, but eventually just gave up on it due to these kind of teething issues. Perhaps they've fixed that since I last used it and someone else might be able to chime in with a solution?

I've looked for the solution myself, and it doesn't look like there's a way to evict a drive yet.

that really sucks wonder why they dont have that.

Well atm all i have on the Storage Space is tons of video, I turned off the PC and unpluged 1 500gb HD and turned back on, it showed 1 missing hard drive with a remove link, I hit it and not it is repair the Storage Space. I guess becuase i picked Parity Storage Space, it is rebuilding the files from the missing drive.

Once it is finished repairing I will see how it does, but man you would think they would let you remove a HDD to upgrade to a bigger one

that really sucks wonder why they dont have that.

Well atm all i have on the Storage Space is tons of video, I turned off the PC and unpluged 1 500gb HD and turned back on, it showed 1 missing hard drive with a remove link, I hit it and not it is repair the Storage Space. I guess becuase i picked Parity Storage Space, it is rebuilding the files from the missing drive.

Once it is finished repairing I will see how it does, but man you would think they would let you remove a HDD to upgrade to a bigger one

I wondered if physically swapping the drives might work, but intentionally breaking an array always feels wrong to me. Glad to hear that it's rebuilding for you though.

Is the parity through win 8 or a raid 5 controller? Is win 8 using raid 5 for the pool?

it rebuilt the Storage Space and it says it is fine, every video file i have tired so far have worked as they should. But yea having to break it by removing a drive with out win 8 removing it from the pool does feel wrong.

And the parity is through windows 8 I am not using any raid i spent a good hour and half to 2 hours surfing the web for this problem and it seems others have had a hard time taking out a drive as well. Aside from this problem so far Win 8 seems to be a great replacment for WHS for basic video, music, images, etc stuff that I use it for

If any one finds a answer for this problem please let me know cause i still have 3 500gb HD,s I plan to upgrade one day

http://social.technet.microsoft.com.../thread/dbbf317b-80d2-4992-b5a9-20b83526a9c2/

Doesn't look like its supported. The suggested method of 'copy all files to backup, delete the space and rebuild it' is frankly insane.

Yeah... ReFS and Storage Spaces had so much potential as a real ZFS alternative, but unless Microsoft makes some really huge improvements, nobody is going to use this in a production environment--and the inability to safely do simple things like the OP wanted to do means that it's not really ready for home users, either.

ReFS still has potential, and there's a whole lot to like over NTFS, its just going to take 6-12 or more months after release for it to mature a bit more to even begin to try and take it seriously or trust any data to it.

ReFS still has potential, and there's a whole lot to like over NTFS, its just going to take 6-12 or more months after release for it to mature a bit more to even begin to try and take it seriously or trust any data to it.

True - the potential is there, but so far Microsoft is not delivering a very promising solution.

Back