Question about ASUS Fan Xpert 2

1Wolf

Limp Gawd
I've ordered an ASUS P8Z77 board, and watched some videos about the ASUS Fan Xpert 2. I was wondering if you needed PWM fans, or any special kind of fan, to take advantage of Fan Xpert2? In the video I watched, they showed the mobo hooked up to 4 or so case fans...and Fan Xpert2 was running through some sort of test procedure where it was determining the max and minimum speed of each fan and syncing.

I just wasn't sure if the 3-pin case fans that my NZXT Switch 810 came with will be able to take advantage of the full functionality of Fan Xpert2, or whether I should order different fans. etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

if it's the same as on P8P67 EVO (and from what I've seen it should be) then you only need PWM fans for CPU headers

on Asus boards only CPU fan connectors are PWN, PWN only! 3pin fan will work at constant speed and you wont be able to control it with Fan Expert or other tool

CHA fan connectors work for both PWN and none PWN fans

I've tested it on my board so I'm pretty sure about it

if you want to control your 3pin fans with Fan Xpert then connect them to CHA headers on your mobo with Y cables or sth, CHA fans are also regulated by CPU temp, only thing you have to do is disabling "no cpu fan" warring ;)
but since those are case fans then no problem, they will work ;)

if it's the same as on P8P67 EVO (and from what I've seen it should be) then you only need PWM fans for CPU headers

on Asus boards only CPU fan connectors are PWN, PWN only! 3pin fan will work at constant speed and you wont be able to control it with Fan Expert or other tool

CHA fan connectors work for both PWN and none PWN fans

I've tested it on my board so I'm pretty sure about it

if you want to control your 3pin fans with Fan Xpert then connect them to CHA headers on your mobo with Y cables or sth, CHA fans are also regulated by CPU temp, only thing you have to do is disabling "no cpu fan" warring ;)
but since those are case fans then no problem, they will work ;)

This. CPU headers (there are 2) will only control speed with PWM fans.

CHA headers (4 on the P8Z77-V Pro) will control either 3-pin or PWM.

With Fan Xpert 2 first step is to "auto tune" the fans (so the software can figure out the min/max speeds) then you can set a graph (by fan) related to the MB's CPU temperature sensor.

Hi,

Does anyone knows if I can use Fan Xpert 2 on P8Z77-M? I'm currently using Fan Xpert + (only avaialble form my mobo d/l section). I use 3pin fans, with custom profile I can control them. However Fan Xpert 2 looks better, and really like the calibration feature.

TIA

ASUS' lower end boards or some of the smaller form factor boards like the P8Z77-M Pro and P8Z77-I Deluxe only support Fan Xpert+ and do not give you the granular control found in Fan Xpert2. To answer the original poster's question, you can use 3 or 4 pin fans with Fan Xpert2. You can even mix combinations of them if you wanted to. This is one thing that sets ASUS apart from other vendors who do not offer the same level of control.

not sure if i'm gonna necro this thread, but...

I just pulled an older 2 pin fan from a computer. It hooks up and works fine, but fan xpert won't recognize it.
Is there a way to modify the fan to work with the program? (it's really frikkin loud)

thx

I guess it uses the RPM signal to detect the fan. The only way to modify it is to build a circuit emulating an RPM signal, i.e. cheap microcontroller or timer circuit. It would be easier to buy a 3-pin fan.

With regards to main topic:
Some ASUS mainboards have a jumper to switch between 3-pin and 4-pin fans for the chassis connectors. In 3-pin mode they would adjust the voltage while in 4-pin mode they output constant 12V and modify the PWM signal.

Hello All,

Dan pretty much nailed it on the head.

Any Fan Xpert II motherboards has full control options within the UEFI or OS for 3 pin and 4 pin fans. The only consideration point is that the CPU header is limited to control of 4 pin fans all chassis headers support both 3 pin and 4 pin. As for the functionality it is up to the user we do offer a full automatic calibration process that will measure and tune the fans based on RPM detection. This allows much more precise profiles and tuning. An example if if you hit silent the fan will actually stop as it know what the min RPM level is for the fan.

Hope this clarifies things.

What's the reason for not supporting three pin fans for the CPU header?

Probably a cost savings measure? I think on the Z87 boards (the higher end ones at least), every header is both 3-pin and 4-pin PWM.

Sorry to wake up an old thread, but if you connect more than one fan via a splitter does Fan Xpert2 give you control over the fans individually?

Of course not. Both will be adjusted equally and based on the fan which rpm signal goes in the mobo.

Back