Logitech Launches Skype Cam for Living Room Video Chats

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Tired of huddling your family around your computer screen to make video chat calls on Skype? Logitech has just rolled out its HD vid cam for your living room or den, using your HDTV to get the whole crowd in on the action all at once.

This looks really great. The big problem I see is the bandwidth requirement: 1 Mbps each way. Upload speeds are usually a fraction of download speeds. Often 512K or 256K maximum.

This looks really great. The big problem I see is the bandwidth requirement: 1 Mbps each way. Upload speeds are usually a fraction of download speeds. Often 512K or 256K maximum.

That really doesn't have anything to do with the product. That's just the cost of streaming 720p with Skype's compression. It would be the same requirement on a PC with a PC 720p webcam. Skype can decrease video settings to save bandwidth if required, and I believe it actually does it automatically now.

I use theViera Connect model for my TV and I think it's great. The family can talk comfortably sitting on the couch and not crammed around a computer desk. Worth the money IMHO

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That really doesn't have anything to do with the product.

Unfortunately it most certainly does. If the bandwidth isn't there, it won't work properly (and I wouldn't be surprised if it really needed 2 Mbps each way). People will blame the product and not their connection.

and this is why google is doing fiber roll outs
wile down stream speeds are ok UPSTREAM is still a joke imagine what you could do with a 100Mbps upstream speeds let a lone 1Gbps

If you are paying to crap ISP than yes, it's not for you.

Unfortunately it most certainly does. If the bandwidth isn't there, it won't work properly (and I wouldn't be surprised if it really needed 2 Mbps each way). People will blame the product and not their connection.

I think the point was that the product has to use the skype protocol, not that the bandwidth is inconsequential to the products use. 1mb up isn't really a big deal anymore, though. I have a middle of the road Cox connection and I get around 5meg up. Like any other tech product, you need the infrastructure to support. This isn't going to be getting skype into low income homes but it's still a pretty cool product.

All I have ever wanted was Skype integration with XBMC or WMC7.

Tons of TVs have skype built in and a lot of people already use their hdmi outs from the laptop.

You're pointing at one thing and I'm telling you that it is not news.

You are implying that this is suddenly a new problem introduced with this new product. It is not. Skype has had this issue for years, as there has been 720p webcams and 720p Skype for years. I don't think I've ever read anything ever or heard anyone ever blame their webcam on bandwidth issues on Skype (it's actually a very hard thing to do because when Skype does not have enough bandwidth, there is a giant ass pop-up that informs you that SKYPE does not have enough bandwidth), and this new webcam isn't trying to expand a market (at least with their current marketing strategy), it's cashing in on an existing user base. People dealt with it then, people will deal with it exactly the same now.

And again, Skype scales down audio/video when bandwidth constrained automatically (and on the fly), so it'll continue to work as it has on desktop 720p webcams.

Isn't even easier to gather the family around a laptop or tablet? Though sure, the big HDTV screen is a plus.

The keywords there are "gather the family". With a TV in a living room, there is no gathering involved. Everyone is already there. You don't need to move. So no, it is not easier.

You're pointing at one thing and I'm telling you that it is not news.

You are implying that this is suddenly a new problem introduced with this new product.

No, I'm not. It's a significant obstacle to the success of this product.

Skype has had this issue for years, as there has been 720p webcams and 720p Skype for years. I don't think I've ever read anything ever or heard anyone ever blame their webcam on bandwidth issues on Skype (it's actually a very hard thing to do because when Skype does not have enough bandwidth, there is a giant ass pop-up that informs you that SKYPE does not have enough bandwidth), and this new webcam isn't trying to expand a market (at least with their current marketing strategy), it's cashing in on an existing user base. People dealt with it then, people will deal with it exactly the same now.

You're missing that this isn't aimed at the geek market. It's aimed at the consumer market: this does nothing that a HTPC with a wide-angle camera can't do, but it does it in one box which you just plug in and switch on. This is aimed at your grandparents and your children. It is most definitely expanding the market. It's a black-box solution. It's got to just work. And for the most part, over here it won't if it needs a 1M bps uplink. And people will deal with it by telling their friends that it doesn't work.

The keywords there are "gather the family". With a TV in a living room, there is no gathering involved. Everyone is already there. You don't need to move. So no, it is not easier.

no, get 3-4 people are squinting to see the laptop screen and everyone to fit with in the range of the web cam... doesnt usually work out.

Back