Sony Posts $312M Q1 Loss

HardOCP News

[H] News
Things just seem to be getting worse for Sony. Even the company's game unit is losing big money now. :eek:

The net loss for Sony widened in the quarter to 24.6 billion yen ($312m) from to 15.5 billion yen ($200m) a year ago. The company also reported a year-on-year fall in its first-quarter operating income, dropping 77 percent to $80.3 million. The slide was larger than expected, with analysts having predicted a decrease of around 35 percent.

mac-pirates.jpg

Inspirational.:D

Falling sales of the PlayStation 3 and PSP handheld console, although partially offset by PlayStation Vita sales, led to a $45 million loss for Sony's Game unit.

How's that long console life cycle working out for you? Let's drag it out another two years and see if we can't make people completely lose interest in the platform.

How's that long console life cycle working out for you? Let's drag it out another two years and see if we can't make people completely lose interest in the platform.

Nothing wrong with the PS3 though. It's still a stunning piece of machinery that outputs good looking games. And it plays Blu-ray to boot. It's light years ahead of the Wii and quite ahead of the Xbox 360 in some respect. I think it's still good enough for another couple years.

They just need to stop dicking around with their OS. Their PSN hack didn't do them much favor either. They're more difficult to program for than other consoles, but they're not lacking games regardless.

I don't know that much about Sony.

But I do know the PS3 offers me very little in terms of Games I'd want to play. I don't think a PS4 will change that as its 3rd party games that I would like to be enjoying.

Which saddens me because my PS1 and PS2 Library is off the hook......I mean my copy of Suikoden II is worth more now than it was the day I bought it....I doubt the same will ever be said about a single PS3 game.

Maybe if they stop treating their customers like criminals I'll buy one of their products. The last sony product I bought was a pair of earbuds about three or four years ago. Unless they change the way they do things, that will be the last sony product I buy.

I don't forsee Sony getting their playstation magic back, the 360 took a big chunk of it and Sony wasn't able to steal it back. They fought hard but they decided to fight back too late.

Did they put something like 40% of their future growth all on the smartphone business? The business they have repeatedly failed to move into, the one where they just launched a brand new device running android 2.3?

Did they put something like 40% of their future growth all on the smartphone business? The business they have repeatedly failed to move into, the one where they just launched a brand new device running android 2.3?

They are too scared to enter into the high end business, all they have been doing is tipping their toes into the medium to low end range and not at all advertising their products.

I think the only way for them to save face is to get the PS4 out BEFORE the next xbox whatever.

The Xbox 360 didn't whip them because it was better. It whipped them because it was out a YEAR before the PS3 and consumers were eager to upgrade thus committing to XBox for this generation before the PS3 was even a thought.

But I do know the PS3 offers me very little in terms of Games I'd want to play. I don't think a PS4 will change that as its 3rd party games that I would like to be enjoying.

Which saddens me because my PS1 and PS2 Library is off the hook......I mean my copy of Suikoden II is worth more now than it was the day I bought it....I doubt the same will ever be said about a single PS3 game.

The reason I went for a PS3 was that the exclusives were far more interesting than the Xbox (proper) exclusives which are all generic FPS crap (and later kinect junk). The multiplatform titles you get on the PC, but the PS3 has some things that you can't really find on PC.

So what you're saying is you are hardcore in Gears of War, Forza or Halo player? That's honest to god the only thing that the Xbox has that is worth a damn.

The above poster was spot on, and I have all the platforms other than handhelds. I usually only buy the AAA exclusives and my Xbox library consists of basically those 3 franchises where as my PS3 library is fairly large now. I refuse to buy third party on the consoles, I'd rather wait for the PC release or not even bother.

The reason I went for a PS3 was that the exclusives were far more interesting than the Xbox (proper) exclusives which are all generic FPS crap (and later kinect junk). The multiplatform titles you get on the PC, but the PS3 has some things that you can't really find on PC.

including All PS3 game I have 3 I want to play. Tales of Graces, Disgaea 4, and Valkyria Chronicles.

Once the ps3 is 100 bucks I'll probably pick it up for these.

90% of consoles are sold for Christmas. So, losing money in all but Q4 on consoles isn't a big deal, especially if Sony is ramping up PS4 development.

The PS3 and Xbox 360 are both doing very well. Nintendo only now feels pressure to join the HD television age with middling 720p DX10 graphics. Consumers aren't very demanding. (I feel compelled to make a political point about who people elect as president.)

I hold grudges for a long time. I've basically boycotted all Sony products since the whole rootkit fiasco in 2005. Sony did something stupid, exacerbated the problem by lying and then releasing a flawed "removal tool" that left systems wide open for exploitation by truly malicious malware. They can all rot in hell.

Back