Google Play Developer Program Policies Updated

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like Google is trying to cut down on the crap apps in the Google Play marketplace. While some of this seems pretty obvious, we all know that unless it is in black and white, spammers and scammers will try to get away with anything.

Dangerous Products: Don't transmit viruses, worms, defects, Trojan horses, malware, or any other items that may introduce security vulnerabilities to or harm user devices, applications, or personal data. We don't allow content that harms, interferes with the operation of, or accesses in an unauthorized manner, networks, servers, or other infrastructure. Apps that collect information (such as the user's location or behavior) without the user's knowledge (spyware), malicious scripts and password phishing scams are also prohibited on Google Play, as are applications that cause users to unknowingly download or install applications from sources outside of Google Play.

Thank goodness. With this clause in their TOS, nobody would dare put malicious apps on Google Play!

Thank goodness. With this clause in their TOS, nobody would dare put malicious apps on Google Play!

Right. I can see legions of hackers in their evil, dark lit basements in eastern Europe and China cringing in terror at the mighty power of Googles new TOS.

Well, I was planning to make several malicious apps to upload to Google Play, but I guess since there's a new TOS, I guess I can't do that anymore. :(

I wonder if they changed it so that they would have more legal ammunition to recover funds gained via malicious apps?

Apps that collect information (such as the user's location or behavior)

So they don't allow any google apps on google play?

Apps that collect information (such as the user's location or behavior)

So they don't allow any google apps on google play?

You missed the rest of the sentence: "without the user's knowledge (spyware)". Google is always up front about what exactly they capture when you hit that "opt in" button.

The point is that Google can now ban them for it, not that they can't be put up there.

You missed the rest of the sentence: "without the user's knowledge (spyware)". Google is always up front about what exactly they capture when you hit that "opt in" button.

The point is that Google can now ban them for it, not that they can't be put up there.

You're too serious. Laugh a little :-P

Back