Google Delays "Nexus Q" Orb

HardOCP News

[H] News
Remember that Nexus Q orb thingy none of you pre-ordered? The company has delayed the device indefinitely and is offering a "preview version" to all three customers that did pre-order the device.

The company announced the indefinite delay of the orb-shaped media player device in an email on Tuesday to customers who had pre-ordered the made-in-America gadget, saying it wanted to add more features and functions. It offered a "preview version" of the streaming device for free instead.

I liked the idea behind the Q, was a very interesting device that could connect your devices easily, or supposed to anyways.

While they're at it, they should look into releasing a less expensive variant without the amp.

Between the Nexus 7 16GB selling like hotcakes the Nexus Q being a huge flop, I think Google underestimated how interested people would be in its cloud services.

I thought the amp idea was interesting, could've made a potentially nice all in one device. I remember seeing fairly good specifications for the amp chip. Didn't think it would be a huge flop though, that's unfortunate. Guess there's no market for it.

The Q was nice in theory, but as has been said, it was just too expensive. Dropping the amp would be a good start. I think a large number of people who would be interested in this device would already have a receiver that they could use, making optical out more than sufficient.

The Q was nice in theory, but as has been said, it was just too expensive. Dropping the amp would be a good start. I think a large number of people who would be interested in this device would already have a receiver that they could use, making optical out more than sufficient.

Yeah, because what I want is for an army of people to be dicking with my $300 stereo that comes with no speakers, and needs another $200 device to actually be able to see the UI and make it play anything. I can even have the same music playing in sync throughout my whole home for only an additional $300 per room. While $300 plus the cost of speakers.

What was the great part of the concept again?

This product should have been $75 max but since I don't own any Google devices for me its actually worth 0. They should have focused on making google tv better. I'm still hoping that the Vizio co-star is a decent offering.

Yeah, because what I want is for an army of people to be dicking with my $300 stereo that comes with no speakers, and needs another $200 device to actually be able to see the UI and make it play anything. I can even have the same music playing in sync throughout my whole home for only an additional $300 per room. While $300 plus the cost of speakers.

Exactly, isn't this the exact thing the Apple bashers hate, overpriced, inferior tech? Who the hell would pay $300 for this garbage?

If it lacked the amp and came with GTV and you could use your android phone as a remote that would have been freaking sweet. I would have considered paying around $200-$250 for the device. Hell they should be looing at that ouya game box and consider something similar. I really liked that it was made in the USA and I heard the build quality was Excellent so if they could make it more than an overpriced juke box then I'll be one of the first to not pre-order, but go to the store and pick one up on launch day while every one is still waiting for theirs in the mail :D

Not to mention how do you stuff a softball in your pocket...Another answer for which there was no question.

Who was the moron who designed this thing? Google just flat out does not get hardware. The Nexus 7 is an all ASUS design that google grabbed at the last minute to rebrand as a Nexus device. The Nexus Q was/is totally cloud dependant, no local media at all. You can tell Google envisions a future of no home storage. Even the Nexus 7 should be considered a 'caching' device for the internet.

Who was the moron who designed this thing? Google just flat out does not get hardware. The Nexus 7 is an all ASUS design that google grabbed at the last minute to rebrand as a Nexus device. The Nexus Q was/is totally cloud dependant, no local media at all. You can tell Google envisions a future of no home storage. Even the Nexus 7 should be considered a 'caching' device for the internet.

Google was hands on the development for the Nexus 7 each step of the way. You can find interviews with ASUS developers complaining that Google was always up their ass in each part of the development cycle.

Google was hands on the development for the Nexus 7 each step of the way. You can find interviews with ASUS developers complaining that Google was always up their ass in each part of the development cycle.

http://allthingsd.com/20120627/excl...onney-shih-on-how-they-cooked-up-the-nexus-7/

Yup, I think that they kept the Google branding off the device to help prevent the fact it was a Nexus 7 from leaking. It obviously worked, since ASUS paraded a mock-up of the MeMO ME370T around during CES and nobody was the wiser.

If Google Fiber was everywhere, I wouldn't mind. Its all part of their master plan of cloud computing. The ISPs are lagging behind, so you know what, lets make our own to speed up the process. They might as well buy OnLive and a wireless telco (which was rumored) while they are at it. Something tells me their purchase of Motorola is part of it too.

Back