Make OSX not treat HDMI devices as a TV

Does anyone know if it's possible to get OSX to see an HDMI display as a normal monitor rather than a TV? I bought that $400 27" display from Microcenter, and I'm trying to drive it at 2560x1440 over HDMI.

I know the hardware is capable. If I boot into Windows, I can select 2560x1440 just fine. But OSX refuses to let me go over 1920x1080 (and most of the resolution options are TV options, like 1080P, 1080i, etc..)

I'm on a retina MBP btw.

Last edited:
Use SwitchResX to create a manual override for it and see if it works. The problem isn't that it's seeing it as a TV, it's that Mac OS doesn't officially support HDMI 1.4. The Retina MBP is their first product ever AFAIK to have HDMI 1.4 hardware. Are you running 10.7 or 10.8?

Use SwitchResX to create a manual override for it and see if it works. The problem isn't that it's seeing it as a TV, it's that Mac OS doesn't officially support HDMI 1.4. The Retina MBP is their first product ever AFAIK to have HDMI 1.4 hardware. Are you running 10.7 or 10.8?

I'm on 10.8. I will try switchresx when I get home

Doesn't the mac mini also have HDMI natively? According to apple it is compliant with 1.4 (even 1.3 should support 2560)

I'm on 10.8. I will try switchresx when I get home

Doesn't the mac mini also have HDMI natively? According to apple it is compliant with 1.4 (even 1.3 should support 2560)

I wasn't aware the HDMI port in the Mini supported 1.4, but good to know. Either way, SwitchResX should solve your issue.

No dice with SwitchResX. I created a custom resolution with exactly the same parameters as defined in the EDID, and it doesn't take. I guess Apple's drivers maybe don't allow > 165MHz over HDMI?

Edit: Appears to be the case. I created a custom resolution at 40Hz (low enough bandwidth that SL DVI can drive it) and it went to the full res.

That is disappointing. How does it look at 40hz? Any flickering?

That is disappointing. How does it look at 40hz? Any flickering?

It looks fine. The display doesn't flicker at all. Of course most animations, including cursor movement, is pretty choppy. But it'll have to do until my mdp->DP cable comes in (though I was hoping to keep both thunderbolt ports open)

I was interested in knowing this as well. Might be a silly question, but did you make sure you had an HDMI 1.4 cable?

Does anyone know if it's possible to get OSX to see an HDMI display as a normal monitor rather than a TV? I bought that $400 27" display from Microcenter, and I'm trying to drive it at 2560x1440 over HDMI.

I know the hardware is capable. If I boot into Windows, I can select 2560x1440 just fine. But OSX refuses to let me go over 1920x1080 (and most of the resolution options are TV options, like 1080P, 1080i, etc..)

I'm on a retina MBP btw.

I recall seeing a setting for this in one of the control panels. It fixed the overscan issue I suspect you are having.

Maybe it was in the resolution setting. It may have said 1980 Monitor and 1980 TV.

It was in there somewhere on my Mini and Lion.

Back