Apple Didn't Steal iPhone Design From Sony?

HardOCP News

[H] News
It is hard not to look at the image below without thinking Apple stole the iPhone design from Sony but, according to this article, Apple already had a prototype that coincidentally looked just like this. Hey, maybe Sony was stealing from Apple?

Eh, according to the article, Samsung was trying to misdirect by pulling in another brand in their attempt to accuse Apple of copying. Sony already said it was a side-project and they had no intention of launching it, else, knowing Sony, we would have heard about it 7 years ago. Samsung needs to focus on Samsung versus Apple. Else they're just opening a big can of worm because God knows how much copying really goes on between all companies, Samsung included.

Of course they didn't, Apple is full of original ideas and would never steal ideas from another company.

Eh, according to the article, Samsung was trying to misdirect by pulling in another brand in their attempt to accuse Apple of copying. Sony already said it was a side-project and they had no intention of launching it, else, knowing Sony, we would have heard about it 7 years ago. Samsung needs to focus on Samsung versus Apple. Else they're just opening a big can of worm because God knows how much copying really goes on between all companies, Samsung included.

Would it be more correct to say that Samsung could use Apples argument on this as evidence to help prove their argument that they had not copied Apples design either?

Samsung could use this as evidence to prove that Apple was copying as well. Of course that would then be an admission of guilt on Samsung’s part.:eek:

Maybe the courts should realise that ideas can co-exist and be generated in asynchronous similarity and how that is a fundemantal problem with the patent system. IE: Who gives a crap if the phones look the same... really.

Samsung could use this as evidence to prove that Apple was copying as well. Of course that would then be an admission of guilt on Samsung’s part.:eek:
Yeah it really makes Samsung's argument look childish because while Apple's not backing away from saying "Samsung copied us!" anytime soon, the best that Samsung could come back with was "yeah, well...Apple copied Sony!"

They need to just change the laws. Whoever can make it better for less money is all that matters. Maybe they can agree on 5% kickback to whoever can prove they "invented" a pda with built in phone. Even that much seems ridiculous. Anyone can dream up ideas. Making them happen at a reasonable cost is what should be valued.

Yeah it really makes Samsung's argument look childish because while Apple's not backing away from saying "Samsung copied us!" anytime soon, the best that Samsung could come back with was "yeah, well...Apple copied Sony!"

Court: Samsung to Apple: “Have you ever been accused of copying someone else’s design?”
Court: Apple to Samsung : “No”

Something like this would be allowed.

As I understand, Samsung is saying that as Apple copied a design from Sony, Apple's design patent should be invalidated, as there was a similar design prior to Apple's.

As I understand, Samsung is saying that as Apple copied a design from Sony, Apple's design patent should be invalidated, as there was a similar design prior to Apple's.

I believe this is also what they are going for.

But at the same time Samsung could also argue that this design use is very convoluted and just about every phone has extremely similar design types and to give an overlapping design patent to one company when all major brands use/used the design already would be too overwhelming.

Samsung's only hope is to get the patent pulled other wise they are just delaying the inevitable here. Or just have them place a dumb removable sticker on the device that has the company S on it.

it's too bad sony never released that shit.

they probably could have sold millions.

sony ericsson phones have always sold like shit.

I would have though that Samsung would have a substantial amount of engineering drawings, going back decades, for pretty much every conceivable enclosure shape they can fit their displays into. There must be something like Apples (and Sony’s) amongst them.

Of course they didn't, Apple is full of original ideas and would never steal ideas from another company.

Hear, hear! A believer, here in a hive of heretics. It is with much joy that I, a mere messenger of the Holy Apple, have encountered you, one of the faithful of the Sacred Company.

Not really surprising. Apple has a long history of stealing but complaining whenever it happens to them.

I believe this is also what they are going for.

But at the same time Samsung could also argue that this design use is very convoluted and just about every phone has extremely similar design types and to give an overlapping design patent to one company when all major brands use/used the design already would be too overwhelming.

Samsung's only hope is to get the patent pulled other wise they are just delaying the inevitable here. Or just have them place a dumb removable sticker on the device that has the company S on it.

"Steel" lol

If Apple wins, then, Apple should just be GIVEN to Xerox because Apple's copying of the mouse was a heck of a lot more of a big deal than any of Samsung's SLIGHT resemblance to Apple's iPhone.

Hear, hear! A believer, here in a hive of heretics. It is with much joy that I, a mere messenger of the Holy Apple, have encountered you, one of the faithful of the Sacred Company.

I'd be willing to bet the text you is sarcasm. 99% sure.

I think we all know Apple has not invented anything that I can recall. They have only bettered, improved or made a more user friendly device that was inspired by other company's original device. Goes far back even to Macintooshie days

Didn't Apple release a patent for a future console like device controller? The funny (or sad I should say) thing is that it looks just like a Dual Shock. As you know, that's the Playstation controller for 3 generations. (well 2 but PS1 had the same design sans dual remotes for rumble)

So the question is, will Apple try to sue Sony for "copying" it's controller?(Lulz)

On topic, I don't think Sony cares about their old prototype. SE is dead anyways so no big deal any more.

On topic, I don't think Sony cares about their old prototype. SE is dead anyways so no big deal any more.

However if Samsung's point sticks, it might open Apple to being sued by Sony. Sony profitable again in 3 ... 2 ... 1.. :)

So how did Samsung get this information regarding Sony? Seems like those Koreans have spies everywhere, I guess that's how they can copy so many products nowadays.

I think it will actually be even more damning if it turned out that apple had nothing to do with Sony at all since that'll put into question the validity of the patent itself.

So how did Samsung get this information regarding Sony? Seems like those Koreans have spies everywhere, I guess that's how they can copy so many products nowadays.

Reciprocal agreements exist between a lot of companies that share competitive space within an industry for research, development, design, and manufacture. Furthermore, a well-established, prime components supplier like Samsung would have access to prior design efforts from companies that would be looking to them to provide parts that meet the specifications of something from Sony. Failing that, a subpoena can be furnished to Sony. Failing that, would it shock anyone that Sony sees a potential long-range threat to some current or future product by legal precedent set in this case and has a vested interest in seeing Apple's patent yanked out from under them?

The picture is a Sony inspired design that Apple created after listening to a Sony designer talking about future products. It's not an actual Sony design.

Didn't Apple release a patent for a future console like device controller? The funny (or sad I should say) thing is that it looks just like a Dual Shock. As you know, that's the Playstation controller for 3 generations. (well 2 but PS1 had the same design sans dual remotes for rumble)

So the question is, will Apple try to sue Sony for "copying" it's controller?(Lulz)

The patent isn't for the hardware design, but for the technology it uses to communicate information between devices (NFC and RFID IIRC). The illustration is just outlining the types of devices that can/will use it.

here is the patent

On a related note, I hope Samsung beats Apple in that lawsuit that just started, although the judge seems hellbent on helping Apple win. :rolleyes: :mad:

Back