IOC Starts to Delete Video of Olympics on YouTube

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you are excited over the Olympics and recorded something to share with the rest of the world on YouTube, chances are it will be taken down in short order. The IOC has given unprecedented coverage rights to official sponsors of the Olympics, but unauthorized copy and posting is being aggressively removed almost as fast as it goes online.

Search for scenes from the spectacular opening ceremony in London and while you will find excerpts from official broadcasters like the BBC, videos uploaded by ordinary users are being gradually being stamped out.

Since when can you post a 3-hour long opening ceremony video on YouTube? ^-^

Haven't they done this for the past 2 or 3 Games?

Yup... try to find video of Phelps gold medal races... if you're lucky you'll find a grainy 240 shot from a foreign team which doesn't have much of an interest in the US team Quite sad actually that there's so much of a lockdown on the "ownership" of the rights of this video that a lot of historic moments will be forgotten.

Yup... try to find video of Phelps gold medal races... if you're lucky you'll find a grainy 240 shot from a foreign team which doesn't have much of an interest in the US team Quite sad actually that there's so much of a lockdown on the "ownership" of the rights of this video that a lot of historic moments will be forgotten.

It isn't just videos amigo. In my field of specialty, most materials are out of print and almost impossible to get a hold of except for the absolute most popular.

I never understood the logic in doing this for sporting event.

The real value is during its live broadcast, who cares after the event is already over?

I never understood the logic in doing this for sporting event.

The real value is during its live broadcast, who cares after the event is already over?

You want to watch that 5 second pole vault? Sorry you can't see it online...but you CAN see it in our special box-blur-ray set of the entire Olympics that is available today for the low price of ONLY $899.00!

IOC: "Adding extra shit to NBC's shitty coverage of the 2012 Olympics."

Thanks guys. :rolleyes:

*watches more commercials of banks bragging about Olympic support*

:rolleyes:

IOC: "Adding extra shit to NBC's shitty coverage of the 2012 Olympics."

Thanks guys. :rolleyes:

*watches more commercials of banks bragging about Olympic support*

:rolleyes:

My Favorite was British Petroleum adverting their proud support of the US Olympic Team. I did a double take.

And so began the era in history where all knowledge was transformed into property, and any public existence of knowledge was violently erased from the annals of time.

Since when can you post a 3-hour long opening ceremony video on YouTube? ^-^

sure you can post 3 hour long videos and longer. just depends on the size of the file, but youtube usually craps out if it's in HD and doesn't render at anything higher than 480p. the longest that worked for me was slightly below 3 hours.

We still do the Olympics thing? I thought that went out with challenge of the stars. :rolleyes:

This is why i built my own TV network for friends and family. Im recording all the olympics, compressing them to mobile and uploading to my dropbox, which auto-generates links and emails my users.

You want to watch that 5 second pole vault? Sorry you can't see it online...but you CAN see it in our special box-blur-ray set of the entire Olympics that is available today for the low price of ONLY $899.00!

That wouldn't be too bad actually, well not for that price obviously.. move the decimal to the left once would be great... but if they actually had all the events and had them laid out in such a fashion that you could zip around to them and watch only what you want... awesome. Unfortunately though you basically will only get what NBC showed, and then on top of that you'll get a synopsis of all but the most popular events... kind of like how NBC does.

Although I'm confused the first day they felt the need to show a mind number 6 hours of cycling through the country side, but some chicks flipping each other in a judo match... "ok here's one throw where she was choked out... but she came back to win"... wow thanks NBC!

well there's going to be over 53,000 hours (53,3xx if I recall) of footage, so a box set of everything for 899 would actually be a steal for what you get, I mean you pay 20-30 bucks just for a 2 hour flick, and maybe 1-2 hours of extras that no one watches

well there's going to be over 53,000 hours (53,3xx if I recall) of footage, so a box set of everything for 899 would actually be a steal for what you get, I mean you pay 20-30 bucks just for a 2 hour flick, and maybe 1-2 hours of extras that no one watches

A "flick" involves a whole lot of people paid to make the movie. The Olympics you have what, camera men and editors once its done?

Well, I for one don't give a shit about the Olympics. I'd rather watch golf while having teeth pulled sans anesthetic.

I can't wait until they're done, not that NBC has anything particularly interesting. They did, but he's now on cable.

Anyway, the IOC might have pals in the MPAA/RIAA.

Is it me or does all of this kinda stand against the whole principle of the games?

Take down illegal uploads of the NBC feed/etc - fine, go for it. But taking down privately shot photos/videos from paying spectators?

Isn't this true of basically all sporting events? They don't want you to watch it on youtube, they want you to go buy the DVD or a cable subscription or watch replays on a network that has paid them money for the rights. Then if you are going to watch it on youtube, they don't want you watching on some random person's account, they want you watching on their youtube channels or their own external sites so they can get money from advertising.

i noticed they locked this shit down tight.

all i see are stillshots with the thumbs rating purposely disabled.

I wanted to see videos of the James bond stunt and Mr Bean, but all they have are fake videos

only place to get olympic videos are on pirate sites, not that I give a shit. The olympics are boring to me.

IOC represents greedy businesses having too much control for the most part to me. I rarely have a bit of joy in me to feel excited about the Olympics & what it represents in this present century.

I like the Olympics somewhat, but this excessive control destroys my interest. It absolutely did in 2010, and I am en route to the same this year.. I want to watch weightlifting pretty bad, but the coverage is poor on that event, the NBC videos online are poor also, it plain sucks, can't find a dawn good source... I like track also, but like last time around I am getting frustrated already and with track coverage coming later on, I probably will forget to care then, like last time.

People should boycott the Olympics for this very reason... not that it will or would happen anyway. :D nobody cares about post-Olympics.

It is a bit understandable, NBC did shell out a lot of money for the rights, I just wish that they stopped caring when the Olympics are over. It's not like they keep on making money on it years from now.

People should boycott the Olympics for this very reason... not that it will or would happen anyway. :D nobody cares about post-Olympics.

What good would that do? The only people who haven't yet gotten their money are the athletes. The IOC already got their billions of money out of broadcasters long ago. The broadcasters get money out of anyone who pays for cable/Dish regardless of whether they watch or not.

Master [H];1038986368 said:
Well, I for one don't give a shit about the Olympics. I'd rather watch golf while having teeth pulled sans anesthetic.

I can't wait until they're done, not that NBC has anything particularly interesting. They did, but he's now on cable.

Anyway, the IOC might have pals in the MPAA/RIAA.

Glad I'm not the only one. To each his own.

The dinosaur of network ownership of content needs to really be done away with at this point. NBC and the IOC are proving that.

A "flick" involves a whole lot of people paid to make the movie. The Olympics you have what, camera men and editors once its done?

I will promise they will use more camera men, more equipment, more royalties for footage, a HELL of a lot more man hours editing. Do the math. thats 74 YEARS of footage to sort through to make a box set.

It has to make you wonder, why exactly, any one company can have "rights" over an international meeting such as this. Would you even be allowed to take a very high quality video camera in with you?

Back