Building a PC for gaming.

Innomine

n00b
Right, so I'm planning on building my own PC for gaming. I have never done this before, so I'm after a bit of help, just to make sure that I haven't screwed any of this up.

Basically, overall I have around $1800~ to spend all up. So far my build prices out to around $1750~, with everything included. My basic goal is to be able to run all games at max settings. To make this a realistic goal in my price range, I'm going for 1080p, not 1440p.

I've seen a few other threads around here on the same subject, but everyone has their own needs, so I'm making one of my own. Here is my list of parts. I'm going to be buying this from the website www.pccasegear.com, so all the links go there.

Let's start with stuff I know nothing about:

Corsair Carbide 300R Compact Gaming Case $109

Ok, so I did quite a bit of research into the case. According to some reviews I looked at it's very good in terms of both fitting everything in there, keeping everything relatively cool, and not being noisy as hell. I also like the idea of having something small and not flashy that doesn't have 10 LEDs glowing blue all over the place. I like it's relatively simplicity, and that fact that it doesn't look like all that much. It seems quite subtle. So basically, am I missing something? Is there a reason I shouldn't get it?

Corsair TX-650M Modular Power Supply $129

I have no idea whatsoever about this. I think I just stole someone elses suggestion from another thread. Comments?

ASUS P8Z77-V LK Motherboard $165.

Same as above. I honestly know less than nothing about motherboards. Does this support all of the other things I'm buying? Should I be buying something better? I honestly don't understand what they do, apart from the fact that they're the thing you plug stuff into. All I know is that it's compatible with my CPU, my case says something about ATX, and so does this.

CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler $36

Do I need a CPU cooler? Don't they come with one?

G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 $59

It's ram. Should I get better ram? Should I get cheaper ram? Should I get more ram? I have no clue.

CPU:

Intel Core i5 3570K $239

It was either this, or the i5 2500k. Considering the new generation costs only $10 more, is there any reason not to get it?

I should also point out that at this stage I'm not really planning on overclocking. I may or may not decide to in the future though.

Graphics Card:

Gigabyte Radeon HD7870 2GB Overclocked $349

Ok, so this is probably the thing that I am most unsure about. I've read a lot of things, and none of them tell me specifically whether I should AMD or Nvidia. What I do know, is that this card seems to be very good, and it should be more than sufficient for 1080p gaming. This is the review I'm basing this on btw.

So basically, my question here is the same as before really. Am I missing some kind of information? Should I be going for a Nvidia card in the same price range? I don't really want to spend more than $350 on a graphics card at this point. Also, if I do decide to go to 1440p, is there any reason I couldn't just add another one of these cards, and do the crossfire?

The rest of the stuff:

Intel 330 Series 180GB SSD $169

So, I haven't had an SSD before, except in my iPhone. But I do know that I want one, and that I want one that can fit everything that I'll be primarily doing. I've read a review on this one that makes me unsure, but I don't really care about write speeds. The only reason I want an SSD is for my OS, general apps and games. Will this suffice for this?

Western Digital WD Green 2TB WD20EARX $115

Ok, so it's a 2TB HD that costs $115. I'll be using this for storing media, and whatever else I want to. Won't use it all that often. I plan to keep all my main stuff on my SSD. I've also had good experiences with WD on my elements external HD.

Samsung SH-222BB SATA DVDRW Drive OEM $22

I haven't used a CD or DVD drive in a long long time. But I figure i'll need one to actually install windows in the first place heh. I doubt i'll ever use it after that, but probably best to have it just in case.

Samsung S24B300H 24in Widescreen LED Monitor $179

So, I've got a friend who swears by Samsung for displays, and frankly, his does look pretty good. It seems to come down to this, or Asus. And Samsungs look better aesthetically imo.

Filco Majestouch2 $150

This is probably the thing I was the most indecisive over. Initially I was planning on the Razer Blackwidow Stealth version. But that sold out, and I've resigned myself to paying $150 for a keyboard. Is there something significantly better for the same price? I did a lot of reading, and this is the one I like the look of the most.

So, that's pretty much that. I'm basically looking for feedback about my selections, and whether I'd be better off doing something different somewhere. If this all looks good, I'll be pretty happy, as not only does it seem like it'll do what I want, it'll also do it for $1700. Which isn't bad considering that I have to buy everything except a mouse. (I have a Razer Deathadder, which I'll probably switch for a Steelseries sensei at some point)

I'm planning on buying all of this within the next week. Appreciate any comments.

I'll also add this to the end, just in case I missed any of it in the actual post.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

Primarily gaming, bit of web browsing.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

1750. The website im buying from is linked, I'll be picking the stuff up from the warehouse.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

Australia.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

Is everything but a mouse a valid answer? :p Anyway,everything's listed above.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

Mouse.

6) Will you be overclocking?

Maybe, I like to keep my options open.

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

24" 1080p. Or, it will be.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

Within the next week.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

I honestly have no idea. :( I think the one I picked has all of that though.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Yes, 64bit. Win7.

Edit: I was referred to this forum when I was asking for advice on another. I wish I'd found this place before I started thinking about building. Would of made my life a lot easier. :( You guys have great resources here though. I'll definitely be coming here more often in the future.

I'm on my phone so can't get in depth but so far you are on right track. However one part does stand out to me as a poor choice: the PSU. It is only partially modular and its performance is worse than the non modular version of that PSU. So go for the Corsair TX650 V2. If you want an actual modular PSU, go for the Corsair HX650.

Also you really should decide whether or not you want to overclock as it will Determine whether or not you will save money.

I agree that the power supply is a bad choice. Also if you are going with the boxed CPU you will get a heatsink/fan with it. Since you say you are not overclocking I would stick with that. You can always add a better hs/f later.

This is the HX650 you mentioned, but I see no mention of it being modular? I really do like the idea of a modular PSU, so it is preferred.

Also, I don't think I'll need to be overclocking now, but I probably will in the future as games become more demanding. So that's a yes on overclocking.

This is the HX650 you mentioned, but I see no mention of it being modular? I really do like the idea of a modular PSU, so it is preferred.

Also, I don't think I'll need to be overclocking now, but I probably will in the future as games become more demanding. So that's a yes on overclocking.

I don't see any Corsair PSU's in that price/power range that are fully modular.

I did find this: (fully modular) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139015

That PSU is definitely a modular PSU. Check on Corsair's website. It'll list it as a modular PSU:
http://www.corsair.com/us/power-supply-units/hx-series-power-supply-units.html

I do not recommend the AX850 that HDriscoll listed because it's stupid overkill.
Then stick with your current mobo and CPU. Since you live in a relatively warm climate, I'd recommend getting a 3rd party HSF right away. I recommend the Coolermaster Hyper 212+.

That PSU is definitely a modular PSU. Check on Corsair's website. It'll list it as a modular PSU:
http://www.corsair.com/us/power-supply-units/hx-series-power-supply-units.html

I do not recommend the AX850 that HDriscoll listed because it's stupid overkill.

Then stick with your current mobo and CPU. Since you live in a relatively warm climate, I'd recommend getting a 3rd party HSF right away. I recommend the Coolermaster Hyper 212+.

The HX650 is partially modular. The AX850 is fully modular and if you are thinking about overclocking in the future, overkill is a good thing. I've also not had any problems with Corsair PSU's (running a AX1200 now).

if you are thinking about overclocking in the future, overkill is a good thing.

With modern GPUs and CPUs, even if you are overclocking, you don't really need more than 600 watts. If you are overclocking in SLI/CF, you wouldn't need more than a 750. Both of those numbers are generous. With the parts he's selected, he already has overkill, and past this point it is a waste of money.

For example, right now I have a(n admittedly slightly) overclocked 670 and an i3-2105. It takes me fully loading the GPU and CPU with "artificial" loads to draw 400+ watts from the wall according to my UPS. This also includes my receiver's and 2 monitors' power draw.

The HX650 is partially modular. The AX850 is fully modular .
And?

Why would I want the 24Pin and 8PIn connectors to be fully removable? Those cables have to be connected at all times. In addition since the OP plans on using a video card, the PCI-E connectors has to be connected at all times. As such, the fully modular is just a marketing gimmick as it doesn't give you that much more cables that should be disconnected.
and if you are thinking about overclocking in the future, overkill is a good thing.
Not when it's stupid overkill and therefore an unncessary expenditure. As noted by BigJayDogg3, modern hardware don't take that much power these days, even when OC'd. As such for most PC gaming builds, a solid 650W to 750W PSU is all that you need. A 850W PSU is just plain overkill unless the OP is planning on triple-SLI/Crossfire or 30+ hard drives.
I've also not had any problems with Corsair PSU's (running a AX1200 now).
I haven't had problems with Corsair either. Hence why I recommended two Corsair PSUs earlier. So not sure why you posted this.

So yeah, just to confirm, besides the PSU that I replaced, does everything else look good?

I'm gonna go ahead and order soon, so yeah.

Ok, so I have bought all of the components, put it all together. However, got a problem.

Basically, system powers on, all the fans start, GPU fans start, but display just doesn't register anything. It just says "Check signal cable. I've tried HDMI from the graphics card to the monitor, and the analog cable from the motherboard to the monitor.

For both it just says "Check signal cable".

It's also worth noting, that the second I turn the system on, the fans all start, then pause for a second, then start again. I'm not sure if this is relevant or not.

Either way, help please!

Hit up the stickied "Basic Troubleshooting Guide" on what to do when the PC does not POST.

Back