Apple Officials Said to Consider Stake in Twitter

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
According to an article in the New York Times, Apple has been in talks with Twitter over the past year discussing the possibility of Apple investing hundreds of millions of dollars into the social media giant and partner against rivals Microsoft and Facebook. The investment would be a departure for Apple, who usually buys companies rather than invest in them.

Such a deal would give Apple more access to Twitter’s deep understanding of the social Web, and pave the way for closer Twitter integration into Apple’s products.

Apparently they don't have a lot of faith if they don't want to just "acquire" them.

Interesting.

I'm not quite sure why anyone would want to pour money into Twitter. Call me stodgy, but it's a service easily duplicatable, which generates no content on its own. Kinda like myspace, digg, facebook, etc....

I'm not sure how Apple would benefit from such an investment.

^ Yeah, what is it with Mac users and wanting to Tweet all of their bullshit.
I've never understood that, yet I've known so many individuals with Macs and all they do is Tweet. :confused:

I don't think it's much more different than Google offering software for free (and now hardware for cheap): they want people to use their services.
Apple wants to do the opposite, services that sell hardware. Though buying Instagram could have made more sense.

It is weird, since Apple usually buys services and patents to give their products certain aspects that other competitors can't integrate.

Investing in twitter, its not like twitter will become apple-centric just because they have money on it, and its not like twitter is exactly a money printing machine. It does well and is popular but its not exactly "growing" or changing its model to enable growth either.

I'm not quite sure why anyone would want to pour money into Twitter. Call me stodgy, but it's a service easily duplicatable, which generates no content on its own. Kinda like myspace, digg, facebook, etc....

I'm not sure how Apple would benefit from such an investment.

Then you don't understand social media very well.

It is weird, since Apple usually buys services and patents to give their products certain aspects that other competitors can't integrate.

Investing in twitter, its not like twitter will become apple-centric just because they have money on it, and its not like twitter is exactly a money printing machine. It does well and is popular but its not exactly "growing" or changing its model to enable growth either.
This is why Instagram would have been better. Now Instagram is on Android and the old users' reactions were really funny to see.
However, do note that Twitter is already trying hard to restrict what other services and clients can do, and also buying popular clients or trying to attract users from clients to the plain old website.

Then you don't understand social media very well.
The only thing to understand is that there is nothing to understand.

This is why Instagram would have been better. Now Instagram is on Android and the old users' reactions were really funny to see.
However, do note that Twitter is already trying hard to restrict what other services and clients can do, and also buying popular clients or trying to attract users from clients to the plain old website.

Awesome, obtain growh through restriction and obscurity.

Back