John Romero Talks About OUYA Android Console

Great , more irrelevant insight from the guy that hasn't had a hit game in decades. I honestly couldn't give two shits what John Romero thinks about gaming. Why are people seemingly hung up with asking/interviewing him for his dated opinion?

Soooo he doesn't like it because anyone can program for it, it's open and it's not an iPhone. Does that about sum it up?

Great , more irrelevant insight from the guy that hasn't had a hit game in decades. I honestly couldn't give two shits what John Romero thinks about gaming. Why are people seemingly hung up with asking/interviewing him for his dated opinion?

Agreed. I think it's just a sad attempt at trying to appear relevant still.

Romero: This console doesn't let me make you my bitch. It's worthless! Now let's talk Daikatana 2!

What...an...assclown.

Why are people seemingly hung up with asking/interviewing him for his dated opinion?
The question was asked by someone who attended a conference for the Apple II. I get the impression that dated opinions on things is what these people want, so Romero was a perfect fit as keynote speaker.

The Apple II was great machine and everything, but shit...

Does he have a tablet stand in the pic in the op? Must be nice not having to hold a real job...

I don't really think the OUYA is going anywhere, but this guy is dreaming if he thinks that integrating consoles into TVs is the next step to anywhere. It's a completely retarded idea.

I would propose that his long hair has also grown into his brain and is now controlling him, but that STILL doesn't explain his opinion.

I don't really think the OUYA is going anywhere, but this guy is dreaming if he thinks that integrating consoles into TVs is the next step to anywhere. It's a completely retarded idea.

Integrating a TV into a console, though...I could get into that. :p

Whatever :mad: That's a great idea (for Apple)...when your console breaks your WHOLE TV has to be replaced! It's the Apple way ;)

... still waiting for that story, Steve. I'm outta here at 3:30 and come Monday I'll forget this thread. :D

Kim-Schmitz-Kim-Dotcom-007.jpg

So...? Let's have it then! :p

I talked long smack on Daikatana back in the day and John sent me an e-mail about how easy it was for nerds to talk trash hiding behind their monitors at home etc. etc.

I got to meet John for the first time about a month later at E3, intoduced myself at "the nerd hiding behind the monitor". You could tell he wanted to take that statement back pretty damn bad, it was pretty comical:

320_74691495213_1881_n.jpg

He was actually really friendly / nice, not at all what I expected.

Sounds like an Apple ad, apple runs perfectly, development is super smooth, use the new yet-to-be announced TV that may have games developed for it at some point in time or other.

Not predicting anything, but I sure hope that consoles aren't phased out by 'tv' systems. The dumbing down of gaming from the PC to console was bad enough, a streaming based TV console does not appeal.

"Android is a piracy platform!"

That's not a piracy platform!

This! THIS is a piracy platform!
black-pearl.jpg

ARR!

John sent me an e-mail about how easy it was for nerds to talk trash hiding behind their monitors at home etc. etc.

Why yes John. Yes it is! Isn't it?

And of course he's nice in person. He's trying to sell you something. ;)

Yeah. I agree with the general consensus in this thread.

Romero = Assclown. Romero = Apple payroll? Romero = Wants Profitz!

It's a known fact that Steve and John Romero have exactly identical mass.

You know what is funny about that? Look at John's head (not just the hair) compared to mine...dude has a pretty big melon. :eek:

But, seriously, he is a pretty damn nice guy. Not sure when he started guzzling the Apple flavored Kool-aid though...it is strong in this video.

I think he's missing the point. I don't think Ouya is being marketed as next gen console at all. And a phone, like the iPhone mirroring stuff he's talking about, won't fully be able to replicate what the Ouya is going to be capable of doing (which is nothing unheard of but many wishes in a single box). And certainly not for the same price point?

How much does an iPhone 4 S cost off contract?

Sounds like an Apple ad, apple runs perfectly, development is super smooth, use the new yet-to-be announced TV that may have games developed for it at some point in time or other.

+1 on this. I swear I was watching a commercial for developing on th iOS environment. Apple is perfect and always works, while Android is a "piracy platform" that will keep you from making money. Nothing but Apple propaganda here.

How much does an iPhone 4 S cost off contract?
$649. Add an Apple TV for AirPlay Mirroring and you're up to $749. Add an iPod touch to use as a controller (in Joypad-supported games) and you're at $949.

It obviously starts to get a little silly.

It's worth pointing out, of course, that Apple could very much bury OUYA by making the Apple TV what it should be and what it should always have been: a screen-less iPod touch. They aren't, though. Until they do, the OUYA's something that developers should be very interested in.

I was surprised by this video, not because of what he said, but because somebody somewhere still thinks John Romero is relevant. I don't understand this whole Android is a piracy platform thing came from. I understand that piracy exists, and probably even more so than on iOS, but I would imagine that the vast majority of users pay for their apps. Everyone I know at work save maybe one or two people that own Android devices have absolutely no idea how to side load an app.

It appears to me that Romero was pandering to his audience (Apple fans) and that like some other developers doesn't even want to give Android a chance because of the fear of piracy. I have news for them. Piracy exists on every platform, and I would be willing to bet money that the percentage of people who pirate software on each platform is about the same.

Also, the idea of building consoles into TV's is so short sighted and stupid, I can't believe he actually thinks it's a good idea. What we'd end up with is a very small percentage of people using iTV's (or whatever they are going to call it), and tons of other devices. Fragmentation hell is what I see that becoming. It already sucks having to buy 2 or 3 consoles if you want to play every game available, but imagine the hell that would be created if TV's had them built in with, at this point, no standards established.

The other issue with that concept, is most people don't replace their TV's for at least 4-7 years on average. I don't see that idea flying anywhere except in Apple's own little world where their customers will buy anything with an Apple logo on it.

He mentioned anyone can program for iphone, but you need 100 dollars. This true. This is the whole problem. If you want to write a program for the PC you don't have to pay anything. Just put it out there for free and not pay 100 dollars. I have a feeling this is the way windows is going and eventually you won't be able to code your own program and put it out there unless you pay MS. Cause it'll be the only way to add software to windows.

He mentioned anyone can program for iphone, but you need 100 dollars. This true. This is the whole problem. If you want to write a program for the PC you don't have to pay anything. Just put it out there for free and not pay 100 dollars. I have a feeling this is the way windows is going and eventually you won't be able to code your own program and put it out there unless you pay MS. Cause it'll be the only way to add software to windows.

If you ask Gabe Newell, he would say it's happening now.

its ok Mr. Romero, I havent been too impressed with your last few games either.

The OUYA strikes me as a gimmick gadget that won't really amount to much. Kind of like Romero,started out with lots of fanfare during his iD days,then faded away into irrelevance

2 problems;

1. Not everyone can publish a game to iOS. You need to have Apple gear, you need to pay $100 per year, and you NEED TO HAVE YOUR GAME APPROVED BY APPLE.

2. iOS is also a piracy platform... jailbreaking = enabled piracy.

The question was asked by someone who attended a conference for the Apple II. I get the impression that dated opinions on things is what these people want, so Romero was a perfect fit as keynote speaker.

The Apple II was great machine and everything, but shit...

I have to admit that every time I think "suck-it-down" Romero (his famous words during the Daikatana -sp?- ad campaign) has exceeded his penchant for gross stupidity and bombastic irrelevancy--he surprises me like this and manages to surpass himself by acting far more stupid than all of the Baldwin brothers rolled into one and multiplied by 10. Romero is remarkable. I especially dig the "wild stallion" look he's got these days (I know barbers are expensive, but his mien would have been ridiculous in 1965 at the corner of Haight&Ashbury!)

As far as Apple goes...Back in the 80's I called a number of fledgling game studios (EA, Microprose, and several other what-would-become-household-name game companies later on) and asked them--once they connected me to their "programming departments"--which computer they'd advise me to buy for gaming--as I'd narrowed it down to an Amiga 500 or an Apple IIgs.

Yea--it was amazing that back then you had but to look on the back of a game box, get the city and state of the game company, and then call information to get the number and then call the number and then actually end up speaking with an in-house programmer! Ah, there were some perks in those days, for sure...;)

Anyway--I will never forget this--out of the half-dozen or so major game publishing and developing houses I called about it--every single one of them recommended the Amiga over the Apple. It was unanimous. Not too long after buying my first Amiga the reasons for their recommendations became crystal clear...;) The Apple wasn't in the same league. Really sad how things worked out. C= had the technology, but Apple wound up with the business acumen.

Back