British Man Wins 'Twitter Threat' Appeal

HardOCP News

[H] News
Good news! It isn't illegal for morons to tweet stupid crap like this on a plane. The bad news for everyone else? It isn't illegal for morons to use Twitter. :(

A British man on Friday won a High Court challenge of his conviction for tweeting that he would blow up an airport if his flight was canceled, a ruling that had made him an Internet free speech cause celebre.

Free speech only goes so far. I heard of a dumb kid years ago in a middle school near my town who threatened the President's life on the internet. I don't remember the details, but I remember they didn't go easy on him. And I think they have right cause for being hard on him.

My understanding is that, within a certain context of complaint messages, he joked about “blowing up an airport”, not a blowing up a plane. Not any kind of plane, whether on the ground or in the air. My understanding is also that “an airport” cannot be blown up as it is a big field. There are certain weapons possessed by the military designed for disabling runways; there are also snow blowers for blowing up the snow from the runway.

As for the “joke” about terrorism: I would suggest that he gave it more from a terror victim point of view, rather than from a terrorist point of view. Terrorism is not about the violent act itself. It is about inducing a state of terror or paranoia amongst the general population and the authorities to cause them to turn against each other. Jokes are simply a way of conveying ones realisation of this paradox effect.

This makes me so angry that I'm going to go blow up....a balloon...for a child's birthday party.

Free speech only goes so far. I heard of a dumb kid years ago in a middle school near my town who threatened the President's life on the internet. I don't remember the details, but I remember they didn't go easy on him. And I think they have right cause for being hard on him.

It seems unlikely that anyone, who intends to take someone’s life, is going to publish their plans about it on the Internet. However, the Police will have to investigate just in case, because they will look bloody stupid if something came of it.

It seems unlikely that anyone, who intends to take someone’s life, is going to publish their plans about it on the Internet. However, the Police will have to investigate just in case, because they will look bloody stupid if something came of it.

You vastly underestimate the stupidity of humanity.

The bad news for OP? Twitter is retarded to use anyways for anyone. It's the equivalent to posting comments on YouTube and reading them.

I'm glad this got overturned, it is obvious that the tweet was hyperbole.... It is ridiculous that we can't say or do anything anymore in the world today for fear of being treated like a terrorist, racist, rapist, etc.... exaggeration is a common element in communication, and freedom of open communication should be allowed.

I'm glad this got overturned, it is obvious that the tweet was hyperbole.... It is ridiculous that we can't say or do anything anymore in the world today for fear of being treated like a terrorist, racist, rapist, etc.... exaggeration is a common element in communication, and freedom of open communication should be allowed.

Completely agree, most of the "no tolerance" stuff is garbage too. There are good people that make mistakes, say things they don't really mean etc etc.

I grew up right under a major airport landing path, airplanes constantly flying low over head to land. You got used to pausing conversations when outside when they came.

One day my step-dad just got pissed, like this guy and called the airport and told them if another plane flies over my house (insert address here), I will shoot it down. He was a hot head.

The FBI called within the hour and asked if he had the capability to shoot down an airplane.

He explained that no he was just overly-upset, that was that.

Yes authorities should follow up, but some common sense should also be applied instead of these "black/white" laws we are making.

Completely agree, most of the "no tolerance" stuff is garbage too. There are good people that make mistakes, say things they don't really mean etc etc.

I grew up right under a major airport landing path, airplanes constantly flying low over head to land. You got used to pausing conversations when outside when they came.

One day my step-dad just got pissed, like this guy and called the airport and told them if another plane flies over my house (insert address here), I will shoot it down. He was a hot head.

The FBI called within the hour and asked if he had the capability to shoot down an airplane.

He explained that no he was just overly-upset, that was that.

Yes authorities should follow up, but some common sense should also be applied instead of these "black/white" laws we are making.

Actually, the USA law on this is more sensible than the UK law. As I understand it, the USA law requires that the Police have to prove that the accused has the capability and the intention of carry out what they said, before they can be regarded as a threat. The UK law does not have that. In the USA, they probably would not even press charges. In UK it is likely to go to Trial.

9/11 changed things way too much. Its like an alternate reality. Say the word bomb and you're arrested.

Actually, the USA law on this is more sensible than the UK law. As I understand it, the USA law requires that the Police have to prove that the accused has the capability and the intention of carry out what they said, before they can be regarded as a threat. The UK law does not have that. In the USA, they probably would not even press charges. In UK it is likely to go to Trial.

Does that mean that everybody that does that and drives a diesel truck and has a hobby of gardening will have a serious problem then ;) .

Back