UK Man "Allergic" To Technology

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm not saying this story is complete B.S. but, if you are going to claim you are severely allergic to technology, you probably shouldn't show a picture of you using a laptop in the article. Just sayin'.

Phil Inkly claims he suffers from a condition called electromagnetic hypersensitivity. He claims he becomes ill from radiation from Wi-Fi, cordless and mobile phones, microwaves, computers, phone masts, TVs and even batteries. 36-year-olds symptoms include nosebleeds, blackouts, sleep disturbance, unbearable burning and crippling headaches.

Sounds like a schizoid gypsy to me. Why not just build a mobile Farraday cage?

Good catch, Steve. Undoubtedly, his reality distortion field contributes to his allergies ...

Pretty sure these claims have been falsified at least dozen times (with blinded studies and so forth). He's just a crazy person.

It could be a brain tumor or a glandular issue coupled with mental instability.

thats why he has long hair... a beard ... and dress like a hippie.

The photographer probably used telescopic lens from a mile away to take these digital pictures of him so he doesn't bleed out while they take photos of him.

The photographer probably used telescopic lens from a mile away to take these digital pictures of him so he doesn't bleed out while they take photos of him.

Doesn't matter now, as those pictures are holding his soul captive. Time for some healing crystals!

Are there no more manually operated 35mm cameras out there?

I call horsepuckies.

Now, what's his angle? Is he gonna sue 50,000 companies? The family of the guy that invented electricity? The earth for being a magnetic bitch?

I'm sure there are a few deserted islands he could move to.

Sounds like an excuse to live like a dirty hippy and collect disability to fund your organic pot farm.

haven't claims like this been debunked before?

Yep. Majority of the shit people complain about barely exceeds background radiation. My personal favourite is someone who claimed she could tell whenever had a certain carrier of cellphone with them because of the frequencies it used.. and it had to be kept far away from her else she would have problems.

Nevermind that it was near the same frequencies as GPS and she was flooded with that.

And that the reporter had a camera man hold the phone in his pocket. Camera man noted (by recording) that the phone had near full signal. In an area where the woman claimed she was "free" from the kind of signals that bothered her.

This might have been on Dateline, but in any case... Yeah, it's all been debunked. http://www.skepdic.com/electrosensitives.html

Perception of electromagnetic sensitivity is purely psychosomatic. Unless you're inside a microwave when it's switched on. In that case, you'e just dead.

This is odd, that I finally see something on the front page news that I have direct experience with. My former brother in law has a pretty severe case of whatever this stuff is. He is a captain in the Army (a special forces guy), been deployed a bunch of times. Doctors said in his case that because of his numerous inoculations and vaccinations required to go into so many foreign countries for his missions, he had the nerve casings in parts of his body deteriorate from the heavy metal content in all the shots.

It had been building up over time for a while, and he had to really work hard to reduce the amount of wireless stuff, and active electronics he was around (because any electronic device creates a magnetic field if only a small one) about 5 years ago because it got so bad. They had to move out of one house they had at one point because of old/heavy copper wiring.

For him, I can tell you it was a very real diagnosed thing, although I can't speak for other crazy people out there. I don't claim to be a medical expert, but I know that him having less stuff turned on his house all the time, helped his symptoms. Thankfully for him, he's not being deployed anymore because he's getting his masters in Philosophy now so he can teach at West Point, and apparently the heavy metal content in your body goes down over time from aforementioned vaccinations and in his case he's getting better (in a sense).

That's all I got.

So I should pulling out the film to lick it and go back to licking lead paint from window sills. Gotcha!

Well the lead in the paint will keep radiation from entering your body. I always recommend eating lead paint.

I'm 'sensitive' to some electro magnatism, but it was fairly limited. It didn't manifest in any symptoms, except in these giant crappy monitors that used to be in my parents' house. I could tell from any room in the house if they were on, because to me I could hear a 'humming' from them that most people couldn't hear.

Of course, if I apply Occum's Rasor and try to jump to fewer conclusions, my case could just be that the TV did in fact make a noise in the spectrum that's hard for some people to pick up.

I'm 'sensitive' to some electro magnatism, but it was fairly limited. It didn't manifest in any symptoms, except in these giant crappy monitors that used to be in my parents' house. I could tell from any room in the house if they were on, because to me I could hear a 'humming' from them that most people couldn't hear.

Hearing the flyback transformer whine is very, very different than feeling affected by electromagnetic radiation.

I'm not saying this story is complete B.S. but, if you are going to claim you are severely allergic to technology, you probably shouldn't show a picture of you using a laptop in the article. Just sayin'.

Never heard of burning headaches, sounds like he has severe migraines like I did until I was 14, also had nose bleeds on a regular basis, but that's just a weak blood vessel in my nose. I call BS on this, looks like a slightly odd guy who wants to live off the land because he watched the good life, and river cottage repeats.

Of course, if I apply Occum's Rasor and try to jump to fewer conclusions, my case could just be that the TV did in fact make a noise in the spectrum that's hard for some people to pick up.

Yes, some TVs make high frequency noises, that some people can hear (and others can't). Fortunately this is a testable hypothesis. Go into the room blindfolded and say if the thing is on or off. Leave and enter the room several times with the device in different states. If you can tell the thing is on or off when it's on or off, you're not crazy. Most (all?) cases of sensitivity to wifi etc, sensitive people claim the device is powered on when it's not.

Never heard of burning headaches, sounds like he has severe migraines like I did until I was 14, also had nose bleeds on a regular basis, but that's just a weak blood vessel in my nose. I call BS on this, looks like a slightly odd guy who wants to live off the land because he watched the good life, and river cottage repeats.

I dunno man. You should consider going Robinson Crusoe. The migraines and nose bleed is just the beginning.

Id grab this guy, wrap him up in christmas lights and duct tape, and stick him in a datacenter.

Hearing the flyback transformer whine is very, very different than feeling affected by electromagnetic radiation.

Yeah. It'll drive you frickin' insane after a while.

From hearing them to replacing them to soldering them to buying the parts, if there was something I do NOT miss in the computer industry it is CRT Monitors and those GD Flyback's.

Yeah. It'll drive you frickin' insane after a while.

From hearing them to replacing them to soldering them to buying the parts, if there was something I do NOT miss in the computer industry it is CRT Monitors and those GD Flyback's.

Man, CRTs used to be annoying as hell. I could hear 'em from the opposite side of the house, other end of the office, etc. I have a couple of battery chargers that also have some whine in them from a transformer or something(so I just don't leave them plugged in unless I'm actually using them).

But as people have pointed out, that's completely different(and easily confirmable) than the "wifi makes my brain hurt" garbage that's spread by the same types of people who claim smart meters kill trees(and all of the other nonsense that seems to crop up about electromagnetic radiation from people who never seem to understand how it works, or just how much of it they're constantly showered with).

It's been medically proven, detailed and documented many times over that a "Hypochondriac" can have real symptoms based solely on the fact that they truly believe they are suffering from whatever it is they have a real fear of. Maybe not the exact medical definition for any one disease but the experts general come to the conclusion that something is afflicting the patient.

I don't know enough to really give an informed opinion here but I wouldn't be so quick to call fake or B.S.

Headline starts with "UK" and ends in a preposterous statement. I rate the chances of this being a dailymail.co.uk URL at 95%. Oh look, spot on.

Well the lead in the paint will keep radiation from entering your body. I always recommend eating lead paint.

That means, if I eat enough lead paint, I won't need to line all my clothing with tinfoil. This is good news! Now, if you'll pardon me, I have a window sill I need to lick. *om nom nom*

It's been medically proven, detailed and documented many times over that a "Hypochondriac" can have real symptoms based solely on the fact that they truly believe they are suffering from whatever it is they have a real fear of. Maybe not the exact medical definition for any one disease but the experts general come to the conclusion that something is afflicting the patient.

I don't know enough to really give an informed opinion here but I wouldn't be so quick to call fake or B.S.

Hence "psychosomatic". He has a broken brain. Or should I say unique brain for all those sensitive to such non PC opnions.

Yep. Complete B.S. with no basis in fact. There's something wrong with him, but it's not electromagnetic hypersensitivity.

So I should pulling out the film to lick it and go back to licking lead paint from window sills. Gotcha!

Mmmm, paint chips! Once you had one you can't stop eating them!
Don't forget to eat the mystery berries that grow outside of your house and the play with plastic bags.

Anyhow, I'm "allergic" to stupid people and to thing all thing stupid. Can I cash in on free money too?

there is SO much EM flying around all the time a few milawatt wifi radio is nothing

As much as I like technology, it would be kinda neat to go camping for life. :p

This is semi plausible though, maybe he's allergic to a mineral commonly used in circuit boards like silicon or lead, and when it heats up only slightly it emits enough gas to affect him. This is a long shot though, he's probably just insane. :D

I'm the same way and I just realized how it's been a while since I heard that sound. I can also hear the 60hz buzz of incandescent light bulbs that are on a dimmer due to the dirty power they're getting. I always assumed everyone could hear that, but when I mention it people think I'm crazy.

Yes, some TVs make high frequency noises, that some people can hear (and others can't). Fortunately this is a testable hypothesis. Go into the room blindfolded and say if the thing is on or off. Leave and enter the room several times with the device in different states. If you can tell the thing is on or off when it's on or off, you're not crazy. Most (all?) cases of sensitivity to wifi etc, sensitive people claim the device is powered on when it's not.

Agreed.

I never ruined my hearing with loud music, so I have always been able to hear (and be bothered by) high pitched sounds that other people around me couldn't hear.

Electromagnetic sensitivity has about as much credibility as fans in South Korean chopping up the oxygen atoms in a room and suffocating people.

Doesn't, just like my Christan boss and husband talking about people with tattoos and piercings. People will always judge a book by their covers.

You do realize that most of the books ever printed have only had the title printed on the cover, right? That'd be like you judging me on my name tag! Oh wait, religous people, never mind, forget I mentioned it.

:D

Back