Is my Samsung SSD 830 dying?

walkman

Limp Gawd
Win 7 - t a week ago I started getting random system hangs. Programs stop responding and eventually I have to power cycle.

I just ran an explorer backup of files copying from my SSD to a mechanical hard drive. It started out copying at 200 meg/second but after a while it was down to 15 mg/sec.

What's the best way to test my Samsung SSD and mechanical drives?

It started out copying at 200 meg/second but after a while it was down to 15 mg/sec.

That could be totally normal. Remember the harddrive will not get good throughput with lots of small files.

What's the best way to test my Samsung SSD and mechanical drives?

I like to start with seeing if the drive thinks it is operating abnormally. Look at the SMART data with a program like CrystalDiskInfo.

better yet - use the Samsung SSD Magician software that was supplied with your 830.
My 830 came with it

I ran HDTune and it didn't find any errors on my hard drives. It looked like it just checks for bad sectors.

I ran SSD Magician -- it spotted a firmware update which I applied and a couple of OS tuning suggestions which I implemented - but I didn't see an option to validate the disk.

SSD Magician also recommended AHCI mode. When I tried to make that change in my Asus Rampage II BIOS windows 7 wouldn't boot and I had to put SATA back at IDE Mode.

There is a registry mod to get AHCI working if it has already been set in IDE.

Your loosing some advanced features by not using AHCI.

Code:
How to enable AHCI in Windows 7 RC after installation

May 8, 2009

AHCI  (Advanced Host Controller Interface) enables native command queuing and hot-plugging through SATA host controllers (Serial-ATA) for your hard drives. In many scenarios it enables more efficient multi-tasking. Vista was the first Windows OS to support AHCI out of the box, where as Windows 7 does the same. But an issue with AHCI is that if you install the OS without enabling AHCI in the BIOS, enabling it after installation will render your OS unusable. This is because Windows disable the AHCI driver since it is not needed during the installation.

There is one way to fix this, although you need to have knowledge of registry editing. The detailed steps from Microsoft are as follows:

To resolve this issue, enable the AHCI driver in the registry before you change the SATA mode of the boot drive. To do this, follow these steps:

Exit all Windows-based programs.
    Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
    If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
    Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesMsahci
    In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
    In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
    On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

After this you’ll have to restart your computer, go to BIOS and enable AHCI. When you log in to Windows again, you’ll notice the installation of drivers for AHCI. Another restart will be required to finish the driver installation.enable ahci in Windows 7

I’ve simplified the steps by Microsoft by exporting the registry key. Just download the following file and run it. You’ll still need to go through the steps of restarting your computer and enabling AHCI in the BIOS.

Hopefully, you’ll find a somewhat noticeable improvement in multitasking, specially if you’re a notebook user. Of course with the variety of PC hardware, experience many vary

I ran HDTune and it didn't find any errors on my hard drives. It looked like it just checks for bad sectors.

What about the health tab? That should also look at the SMART data.

I would upgrade the firmware on the 830. Having the board in IDE mode will lower performance but that will not cause locking up.

There is a registry mod to get AHCI working if it has already been set in IDE.

Done - thanks.

I would upgrade the firmware on the 830. Having the board in IDE mode will lower performance but that will not cause locking up.

I applied the firmware update with Magician. The next time I get a system hang I'm going to start looking for the problem somewhere else.

Just when I convinced myself that the SSD was not the problem, I haven't had any system freezes since I applied the firmware update, applied the Magician suggested OS changes, and switched to AHCI.

Knock on wood.

Back