Zuckerberg Wins Privacy Patent

HardOCP News

[H] News
This has to be the "lol wut?" post of the day.

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg's 2006 patent application governing certain privacy settings has been approved by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office -- six years after first being submitted. The patent, number 8,225,376, was first applied for on July 25, 2006. Zuckerberg and Facebook's former chief privacy officer Chris Kelly are credited as inventors for the patent, which is titled "Dynamically generating a privacy summary."

"Dynamically generating a privacy summary."

Or, "Changing Privacy Policies on the Fly to Exploit User Information"...

I don't see how something like privacy settings could be a patent worthy subject.

I'm going to patent life, libery, and the pursuit of happyness and the American Dream.

Dynamically generating privacy settings? Is this a joke?
Replace privacy settings with anything and then patent that too?
This whole IP-thing is beyond ridiculous.

So there really is no one at the patent office who actually looks these things over. Just submit a patent on anything and have it automatically approved.

Read the article and it gets worse.

The original request for a patent was denied because it was obvious. After FB went public they went back and requested numerous interviews and investigations to push the patent through. Which it finally was.

I don't blame FB on this one. Who wouldn't throw money at a problem if they knew it would work? I blame the USPTO for having such a system in place as to allow this type of abuse by FB and every other corporation out there.

Basically, it's like playing an MMORPG or other online game and you found a hack/exploit that works in your favor. You run that exploit into the ground until it's fixed or you're banned.

So there really is no one at the patent office who actually looks these things over. Just submit a patent on anything and have it automatically approved.

Yes, but there's a step or two in between submission and approval that involves losing the paperwork on someone's desk for six years, finding it while looking for that one last Tic-Tac at the bottom of a drawer and rubber-stamp rushing it along through the rest of the process without reading any of it.

Honest, how can I patent things? I need to start patenting shit today.
How can I do it without getting robbed of my idea, do I need a lawyer?

Sarcasm:

I want to patent solar system formation.
I want to patent h2o.
I want to patent patenting.
I want to patent impregnation.

"Dynamically generating a privacy summary."

It should have been "Dynamically generating a privacy summary that no one can understand and the ability to change privacy settings on the fly based on what private information FaceBook may need at any one time".

I don't see how something like privacy settings could be a patent worthy subject.

I'm going to patent life, libery, and the pursuit of happyness and the American Dream.

Already done, but apparently it expired a long, long time ago.

The new patent is the same, it just adds "If you have lots of money".

Honest, how can I patent things? I need to start patenting shit today.
How can I do it without getting robbed of my idea, do I need a lawyer?

Sarcasm:

I want to patent solar system formation.
I want to patent h2o.
I want to patent patenting.
I want to patent impregnation.

You patent a process. You copyright an idea, but you need to describe, in detail, your process in order to submit it as a patent.

Let's patent the ability to patent. Then these assholes can't be patenting at free will and/or someone else will be filthy rich in the process.

I think I'll patent life. Everytime someone is born, they gotta pay me a nice wad of cash.

Obligatory: So you can in fact patent Nothing and the USPTO will approve it.

Back