Silverstone Modular 450W SFX (ST45SF-G) - Now has a product page - NextQ = When?

That is freaking amazing. About time, but freaking amazing :D

shut-up-and-take-my-money-1f46.jpg

Time to give another Sugo-6 a haircut and put the PSU on the floor in front of the mobo!

Tony mentioned there was a couple weeks delay for some reason so I'm guessing August now. Can't be too long if they are showing it on their website I would think.

From the product page:

"Class-leading single +12V rail with 37A"

Man oh man how I loves me some +12v amperage. :D

It has a $130 retail price, and it will likely be selling at retail price.

When you can get the regular bronze version at Amazon for $63, I'm going to choose the bronze. (It's not like I'm not using all of the cables on the PSU)

My biggest issue is what is the largest GPU you could run at 450Watts? Wouldn't you need something like a 500-550 watt to power an entire system, especially one that is OC'd?

My biggest issue is what is the largest GPU you could run at 450Watts? Wouldn't you need something like a 500-550 watt to power an entire system, especially one that is OC'd?

A couple folks on here are running GTX 680's on them.

Yeah, its been proven that the GTX680 will run fine with the regular 450w unit.

A couple folks on here are running GTX 680's on them.

Hmm that seems a bit scarey since the 680's have been benchmarked to use I think it was around 300ish watts at full load during benchmarks.

I'll have to try to find the links I found when I was looking to upgrade to the 600 series.

So I wasn't really off at all, running that high of load as the PSU ages might not be the best idea, however it's really amazing that this PSU can handle that GPU.

So I wasn't really off at all, running that high of load as the PSU ages might not be the best idea, ...

Yes you are totally off :) NVidia designed the 680 to draw under 200W.

I can try to explain what those test numbers mean if you'll bear with me. The test system used in the review used less than 400W when both CPU and GPU were overclocked and driven hard. As tuanster1119 says, those numbers are measured at the wall. From http://hardocp.com/article/2012/07/23/msi_geforce_gtx_680_lightning_video_card_review/10
To measure power consumption we use a P3 International Kill-A-Watt device to measure power consumption from the wall. The entire testing system, excluding the speakers and monitor, are plugged into the Kill-A-Watt device. Therefore, power consumption numbers include all components, not just the video card.

If you look at the second page of that review, you can see the components they used. We're interested in the CPU and the PSU.

We see that the CPU is overclocked to 4.8GHz. From another hardocp review of the i7-2600K we know that this CPU at full-load uses 120W more than idle. We pick a game from the benchmarks which is known to use CPU. Maybe games don't use as much power as Prime95, but it's a good guide. So for example, from the BF3-multiplayer test you can subtract say 100W. 366W - 100W = 266W.

It was mentioned that the system uses 67W at the wall when idle. Subtract that as well. Now we're left with 199W that the GPU is supposedly using.

We can see that the PSU they used has bronze efficiency. At 50% load it has a rating of 88%. It means that for example, the total system power needed by the components while playing BF3-multiplayer was 366W at the wall, but actually only 322W inside the PSU.

Extrapolating the efficiency with the 199W supposedly used by the GPU, you can see in that case, the GPU is using only 175W.

Sandy/Ivy Bridge CPUs and Kepler GPUs are very energy efficient even when overclocked. Silverstone SFX power supplies offer almost all of their power on the 12V rail. Conclusion should be obvious: this power supply is suitable for almost anything you can connect to a Z77 mITX motherboard.

I seem to remember there were talks of an individually-sleeved cable kit. Not sure if it'll be short or regular length.

Reading this article made me stop overclocking the CPU, its only for benchmarks and videoediting. in gaming there is nothing to gain, so jus save all the 12V for the gpu...

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-7970-cpu-scaling-performance-review/8

As long as U stay away from furmark and prime95 i would not be suprised if this PSU could run the gtx 690, it has a peak powerdraw IN GAMING of 274w and with a 70W cpu, we are just over 350W

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_690/26.html

The supplied cables are long, but it should pair well with the Short Cable Set
I dont think that you need the short cable kit. The cables in the specs are around 30cm to 40 cm. Similar to the PPT05. They are probably measured to fit good with the SUGO series and Forttress ITX case. There is no picture on the site but there should be one split PCIE 2x6 pin cable for that blue plug like int the ST PSUs.

Last edited:
I seem to remember there were talks of an individually-sleeved cable kit. Not sure if it'll be short or regular length.

They showed some at Computex, but I think those will be intended for the whole range of modular PSUs, so I think the individually sleeved kits will be long cables. If they follow Corsairs pricing, you can just as well spend 50 euros on 100 meters of MDPC black and resleeve the included wires yourself.

I dont think that you need the short cable kit. The cables in the specs are around 30cm to 40 cm. Similar to the PPT05. They are probably measured to fit good with the SUGO series and Forttress ITX case. There is no picture on the site but there should be one split PCIE 2x6 pin cable for that blue plug like int the ST PSUs.
I haven't worked with the SUGO cases, but the FT03-Mini has such a strange layout that it would greatly benefit from short, modular cables. Because of the placement of the PSU in relation to the motherboard the main power and CPU cables could be 10cm long. Other cables could be 20cm and be plenty long. However I know that won't happen unless they sell a specific cable kit for the FT03-Mini, and at that point $130 for the PSU and another ~$30 for a cable kit makes it a rather pricey solution. I'm highly tempted to de-solder my current PSU and create custom lengths as there just isn't room for clean cable management with 30-40cm long cables in this case:
DSC03326.jpg

Same reason I bought an extra modular set with my X-750 and made my own 5cm set :D

I haven't worked with the SUGO cases, but the FT03-Mini has such a strange layout that it would greatly benefit from short, modular cables. Because of the placement of the PSU in relation to the motherboard the main power and CPU cables could be 10cm long. Other cables could be 20cm and be plenty long. However I know that won't happen unless they sell a specific cable kit for the FT03-Mini, and at that point $130 for the PSU and another ~$30 for a cable kit makes it a rather pricey solution. I'm highly tempted to de-solder my current PSU and create custom lengths as there just isn't room for clean cable management with 30-40cm long cables in this case:

You kinda have worked with the Sugo cases, because the FT03-Mini is more or less just an SG05/06 with a different outer shell.

If you have a soldering iron and don't mind breaking the warranty on your bronze ST45SF, then it's a lot cheaper to do it that way. I warn you though, I tried it, it's busy inside there. For me the biggest interest in this modular PSU is so that I don't have to open up and resolder 60-odd wires to get custom lengths. But then I have the crimp tool and I understand that many people don't want to make that investment.

You kinda have worked with the Sugo cases, because the FT03-Mini is more or less just an SG05/06 with a different outer shell.

You got me there :)

But then I have the crimp tool and I understand that many people don't want to make that investment.
Could you elaborate on this a bit? What crimp tool do you have, is it one that works with the modular connectos on the power supply? Do you re-use the pins on the connectors, or do you have a source for new pins?

What crimp tool do you have, is it one that works with the modular connectos on the power supply? Do you re-use the pins on the connectors, or do you have a source for new pins?

I bought the MDPC crimper because Nils is one of the few people I trust to sell me something that works. He tests and adjusts each one himself and sends you the proof crimps. It comes with enough original Molex MiniFitJr pins to make a whole set of extensions and enough fan pins for like 20 fans.

Tony mentioned there was a couple weeks delay for some reason so I'm guessing August now. Can't be too long if they are showing it on their website I would think.

The German distributor just added the unit to their website for preorder. € 109,90 and "Lieferdatum August". I see it also on one French site and one Swiss site.

A pin is just easier with warranty and stuff. And to be honest I'm not really a hero with a soldering iron. :eek:

If you unscrew the case, you have voided the warranty. There is a case sticker over one of the screws. You can remove the sticker with a little heat and a sharp utility knife but it doesn't always work.

yeah, 30A max load on the 12V is pretty nice; looks like the 5A dumps a bit, but I'll wait for the JG review :D

this is definitely going in my next mod.

Interesting document matt9669, but I'm sure I've seen it posted here somewhere before. New for this thread though :)

In other news, I got an order confirmation from www.alternate.de. Some conflicting data: on website it says "Accepting preorders"; on the confirmation email it says "This item will be back in stock within the next three to five working days." But on the delivery slip, it says "delivery time up to you: 2 weeks".

Did anyone else manage to order one of these yet?

Come on silverstone get someone reputable a unit to review so I can shell out some of my hard earned cash already. I also hope they will be selling spare cables or they use a non proprietary modular connection so I can just make my own cables because I only need like a 3" 24pin cable!

Back