thinking of upgrading to 7770 will my e5200 be enough

rcf1987

2[H]4U
Well im thinking about grabbing a 7770 since my 4870 is pretty old although it has served me well. Basically will my e5200 at 3.3 be enough to power it. I game at 1080p usually with no aa since its the first thing i turn off on my 4870. I just dont wanna buy a new gpu and it only be as good as my 4870 cause its cpu limited.

Well im thinking about grabbing a 7770 since my 4870 is pretty old although it has served me well. Basically will my e5200 at 3.3 be enough to power it. I game at 1080p usually with no aa since its the first thing i turn off on my 4870. I just dont wanna buy a new gpu and it only be as good as my 4870 cause its cpu limited.

Might help a lil bit, Either way you are bottlenecking your system.

It would be better to upgrade your PC over a video card.

P.S. My old Phenom II 940 @ 3.5ghz was bottlenecking my 4870....and the Phenom II is faster then the E5200

P.S. My old Phenom II 940 @ 3.5ghz was bottlenecking my 4870....and the Phenom II is faster then the E5200

Highly doubt that, but a few games are a lot more demanding on the CPU then GPU. My Phenom II doesnt bottleneck my 7970, so im not sure how you bottlenecked a 4870....

the 7770 isnt a massive upgrade in my book. Id put the 7770 about 15% faster then a 4870. For almost the same price you could try to nab a 6870...ive seen them around $140

Highly doubt that, but a few games are a lot more demanding on the CPU then GPU. My Phenom II doesnt bottleneck my 7970, so im not sure how you bottlenecked a 4870....

the 7770 isnt a massive upgrade in my book. Id put the 7770 about 15% faster then a 4870. For almost the same price you could try to nab a 6870...ive seen them around $140

Well I had tested it on my own back in the day. I am talking about experience.

I would think a I3 intel with a new mobo ram would be way better then a new video card.

Why people think adding a beefy card to a slow ass proc is the best upgrade route is beyond me.

Well I had tested it on my own back in the day. I am talking about experience.

I would think a I3 intel with a new mobo ram would be way better then a new video card.

Why people think adding a beefy card to a slow ass proc is the best upgrade route is beyond me.

Because a GPU is a drop in upgrade, while doing something about that old CPU means new CPU/Mobo/Ram usually. And they'll still have to upgrade the video card later. So a new GPU is often the best first step or stopgap solution if you can't afford to upgrade the entire PC.

Because a GPU is a drop in upgrade, while doing something about that old CPU means new CPU/Mobo/Ram usually. And they'll still have to upgrade the video card later. So a new GPU is often the best first step or stopgap solution if you can't afford to upgrade the entire PC.

How is it a drop in upgrade where he will probably keep the same framerate with either card.

You cant increase your framerate if your CPU is holding you back. It's called CPU bottlenecking.

I agree. You need a new CPU and motherboard before you upgrade your video card. To me, getting a better graphics card is a waste of money with your CPU.

Why do I say this? because i was in the exact same position once.

I agree. You need a new CPU and motherboard before you upgrade your video card. To me, getting a better graphics card is a waste of money with your CPU.

Why do I say this? because i was in the exact same position once.

The problem is alot of people get horrible advice and think they know everything about how a PC works.

Even recently one of my Best friends buddies, Upgraded to a 6970 for his PC so he could play Crysis....but he bitched about it not playing all that better. I ask what CPU he is using....LAUGH an old 6400+ X2..

Then he wonders why it didnt do a damn thing for him,

Back