Smallest case that fits ATX mobo

jhwk6957

Limp Gawd
I built my system about two years ago now. The specs are in my signature. I don't really like the case I have now. It is pretty big for my tastes, The front bezel rattles, the audio ports in the front don't work. etc anyways I want to upgrade. I wish I had a micro atx board but I don't and I don't feel like upgrading my whole system quite yet. So does anyone have any suggestions on a good solid case that is quiet, elegant and slim that fits a standard ATX motherboard?

any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

What is your budget, and preferred form factor?

Oh ya I always for get that part lol.

I don't really have a form factor preference i guess the smallest case that will fit an ATX board. and my budget is around $100

Forget about the PC-A55, it has horrible thermals. http://www.anandtech.com/show/6012/lian-li-pca55-case-review-unfortunate-name-befits-design/5 OC results are even worse.
From the conclusion:
Ultimately I feel like all Lian Li's engineers have done with the PC-A55 is prove that they could make a small case that could still support a full ATX motherboard. In the process, we lose a tremendous amount of thermal efficiency and acoustics go up catastrophically as a result. What are we left with? Unfortunately, a case I can't find any argument for.

Arguably the best small case is still the PC-A05; the A05FN isn't too bad but the thermals are better on the original A05 (where it was rotated ATX). However I don't know where you're going to get one of those (short of buying a used one), so the A05FN is probably the best option.
You could also go with a Corsair 300R but that's fairly close in size to what you already have. (arguably the best case for <$100 though)

Last edited:
If you have the budget the Lian Li PC-V650 previously mentioned looks like a nice case when it becomes available. It looks to be a lot like the mATX version PC-V354 which is popular and it will fit a full size ATX board.

Thanks for the suggestions. I also think that I may have to get a smaller cooler if i am going to get a smaller case. The N520 is pretty big. Maybe an Corsair h60. that way I can cut down on noise as well.

Thanks for the suggestions. I also think that I may have to get a smaller cooler if i am going to get a smaller case. The N520 is pretty big. Maybe an Corsair h60. that way I can cut down on noise as well.

Not really; shouldn't make much of a difference with cooler size.
There aren't many "small" cases that support an ATX board. Seems like the smallest square ones are 17x17 and then there are the few that are shorter but longer (15x19) [or thereabouts].

If you really want a small case you're going to have to buy an mATX or ITX board, and IMHO I think ITX boards are fairly useless for anything other than an HTPC.

I was looking at A05FN too, but doesn't look like a dual GPU setup would be possible since the PSU would block the bottom card...

I guess my question is related: what is the smallest case, ATX OR mini-ATX in which I could fit dual GTX 680s?

ATX = A05 (again have to go used).
mATX = probably TJ08-E. Plenty of shots through Google of TJ08-E's with dual GPU setups.
2011-08-25_17_11_40.jpg

The new Lian Li PC-V700 does fit two graphics card. It is ATX.

His budget is also "around $100" and that case is $220 not including shipping. :rolleyes:

Nice suggestion, but way out of his budget.

OP keep in mind you could always buy an AM3 mATX board and sell your ATX board used. Depending on what mATX board you buy, you could be out $0 (or even make some money back). Just another suggestion...:)

Last edited:
Actually... the real question is does the OP have a Dremel? :D

If you do, or have another way to punch a whole in the side of one of the afore mentioned Lian Li cases (A55 - A05fn), you can make it cool multiple cards well with a fairly minimal effort. You might have to go with the A55 if the GPU's have any length to them. That is how I would handle this issue.

Not really; shouldn't make much of a difference with cooler size.
There aren't many "small" cases that support an ATX board. Seems like the smallest square ones are 17x17 and then there are the few that are shorter but longer (15x19) [or thereabouts].

If you really want a small case you're going to have to buy an mATX or ITX board, and IMHO I think ITX boards are fairly useless for anything other than an HTPC.

While I like the option to have multiple GPU slots, as far as ITX format mobos go this is a stunner:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131840

Ivy Bridge CPU, PCIe 3.0x16, great onboard audio, etc.

A bit pricey - but depending on your budget you could throw a GTX690 in that one GPU slot and have a tiny beast!

Drop it in a BitFenix Prodigy and I might be convinced to make it my next rig.

(This is not to say that microATX doesn't offer more performance options... ;))

OP keep in mind you could always buy an AM3 mATX board and sell your ATX board used. Depending on what mATX board you buy, you could be out $0 (or even make some money back). Just another suggestion...:)

hmmmn...Not a bad idea.

While I like the option to have multiple GPU slots, as far as ITX format mobos go this is a stunner:

Yeah I really like that board....and I drool at the thought of micro-sizing again. However due to the nature of the small beast (well not *that* small....but after trying my luck with a few enthusiast SFF mATX builds)....I really don't have a desire to build a small machine again.

Even with these newer cases having better thermals (really good ones, actually)....small is always a cable nightmare, even with a modular PSU. I'd rather take up more desk/floor space, have more room for wiring, and have an easier time putting things together and doing cable management. I love the small size of SFF, but it's just not that fun to actually do something in. Well, it is, but it isn't. :D

Yeah I really like that board....and I drool at the thought of micro-sizing again. However due to the nature of the small beast (well not *that* small....but after trying my luck with a few enthusiast SFF mATX builds)....I really don't have a desire to build a small machine again.

Even with these newer cases having better thermals (really good ones, actually)....small is always a cable nightmare, even with a modular PSU. I'd rather take up more desk/floor space, have more room for wiring, and have an easier time putting things together and doing cable management. I love the small size of SFF, but it's just not that fun to actually do something in. Well, it is, but it isn't. :D

Agreed.

Since my next step will only entail moving my internals to a new case, and that case is most likely going to be the NZXT Switch 810 - I am obviously not concerned with the size of my system!

I wouldn't even bother except for my CM Storm Scout is just too cramped with all of my components and doesn't cool them very efficiently or quietly.

Getting more than 7 expansion slots, adding bottom fan locations, and not having the whole front of the case be just an open mesh panel should take care of all my problems....

Still - there may be room in my life to get an additional MicroATX or MiniITX build in the future. There will be more and more updated and higher-tech solutions coming by then, I'm sure!

;)

Are you looking for smaller volume, smaller footprint or something else?
Compact (depth/footprint) (m)ATX cases are unfortunately hard to find.

Are you looking for smaller volume, smaller footprint or something else?
Compact (depth/footprint) (m)ATX cases are unfortunately hard to find.

If you're referring to the OP's queston (which we slightly deviated from) - he wants the smallest ATX case.... :D

Oh ya I always for get that part lol.

I don't really have a form factor preference i guess the smallest case that will fit an ATX board. and my budget is around $100

That's my question: smallest in what way?

He answered that... and I was stating that he originally wanted ATX, not mATX.

Someone else suggested selling his existing ATX and buying a mATX or ITX - but I'm guessing he would have a simpler time just getting the smallest ATX case he can find.

We're just talking semantics here... ;)

No he didn't. :p

Jeez - you are extremely picky about wording... :eek:

I'm begging for the OP to come back to the thread and give clarification right away.

However, it sure sounds to me like he just wants it to be very small - and he currently has an ATX mobo to fit in it.

Not having a form factor preference is what leads me in that direction.

I am not him and he is not me - so we shall see what we shall see!

Back