AMD Reports Second Quarter Results

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD today announced revenue for the second quarter of 2012 of $1.41 billion, net income of $37 million, or $0.05 per share, and operating income of $77 million. The company reported non-GAAP net income of $46 million, or $0.06 per share, and non-GAAP operating income of $86 million.

“Overall weakness in the global economy, softer consumer spending and lower channel demand for our desktop processors in China and Europe made the closing weeks of the quarter challenging,” said Rory Read, AMD president and CEO. “We are taking definitive steps to improve our performance and correct the issues within our control as we expect headwinds will continue in the third quarter as the industry sets a new baseline. We remain optimistic about our core businesses as well as future opportunities with our competitively differentiated next-generation Accelerated Processor Units (APUs). Our recently launched Trinity APU continues to gain traction with customers. We are committed to driving profitable growth.”

"We are committed to driving profitable growth" .. **cough** we have heard that for years...

The fact is, they are committed to moving forward and that is a good thing. After all, you are not going to wrong a right overnight, it does take time. Also, even though I am not a big console gamer, I cannot wait until Sony and Microsoft release their new ones so AMD can bring in some money on that.

Blaming the economy is such a fucking cop-out. If the economy is so bad, people would be looking for cheaper computer products (ie AMD). A weaker economy should actually HELP AMD. That would probably happen if their stuff wasn't junk.

They made a profit. Being in business last quarter made people money. There are worse places to be, even if the number is low.

I've been holding on to about 1K worth of AMD stock for about 4 years now. Don't know why. This stock will never get past $10. Lucky if it climbs up to around $7.

Despite my fondness for them, if I was just thinking as a cold-hearted wall street shark :cool:, i would rate this stock a 'sell'

Amd made a profit soo i do not get all the negative bitching about how much they made?

The fact is, they are committed to moving forward and that is a good thing. After all, you are not going to wrong a right overnight, it does take time. Also, even though I am not a big console gamer, I cannot wait until Sony and Microsoft release their new ones so AMD can bring in some money on that.

wrong a right? is that a subtle slight or a mistype :confused:

but I do wish the best for them but they do not seem to be doing well in their core areas. their new hybrid chips are pretty awesome in some ways but in top dog cpus they are about two gens behind now. if low end would cut it cyrix would still be a contender.

So we get the threads that AMD lost money and they suck, should close their doors and hang themselves. Now we get a thread that AMD made a net profit of 37 million dollars in 3 months and they suck, should close their doors and hang themselves? I will never understand the nerd rage and abject hate for AMD.

So we get the threads that AMD lost money and they suck, should close their doors and hang themselves. Now we get a thread that AMD made a net profit of 37 million dollars in 3 months and they suck, should close their doors and hang themselves? I will never understand the nerd rage and abject hate for AMD.

Would you be impressed if they made a profit of $5 million?

You're not looking at the big picture. Sales went down, they got pummeled by Intel, and they had a shitload of leftover inventory they couldn't sell, which is what everyone thinks caused the release delay of Trinity desktop.

Would you be impressed if they made a profit of $5 million?

You're not looking at the big picture. Sales went down, they got pummeled by Intel, and they had a shitload of leftover inventory they couldn't sell, which is what everyone thinks caused the release delay of Trinity desktop.

You forgot to mention that there's been no posts in the thread raging about how AMD should go die in a fire as MacLeod seems to claim is the case.

Back