new system X79 sabertooth - sleep = bluescreen

kandor

Gawd
Hi,

I just finished building a new system. X79 sabertooth with 3930k, 16gb (4x4) vengence, quadro 4000, vertex4 system drive, 2tb WD storage, H100 in a 550D case. Win7 64bit.

System power options default to sleep so the system went to sleep overnight, this morning I tap space bar and it powers up - I wait for about 15seconds of black screen then I see a blue screen flash up for a second and the system reboots. I'm using the latest bios (1204 I think).

This is getting frustrating, I can't sleep my P55 sabertooth (wont wake up), my Z68 wakes up but the G15 is borked after sleep and now I can't sleep the X79!!! lol

Any fixes?

Last edited:
are you using a corsair 850x power supply. they have been known to cause issues with sleep on asus motherboards

when I was getting those same errors as you I kept thinking it was my SSD or the controller.
Until Raj from asus came on here one day and said those power supplies are the cause.
Switched to a seasonic no more problems

I posted in corsair's forum to ask about it and got shut down pretty quick - someone asked where I heard about the ax850 having resume issues so I posted some links etc and the whole reply was wiped out by a mod saying 'stop spreading bad information'. When really I just want to find out what the problem is....

update, turns out my reply was only hidden temporarily for link scanning - not that anyone is listening, lol!

Last edited:
OP: I have a corsair HX750 and have no issues with suspend other then the computer waking itself up after a few minutes of being asleep.

I think a number of the posts in this thread so far have been unfounded...

I didn't know that, but this is the one I got.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151109

I guess seasonic skimps on parts when they make them for corsair
From what I have read corsair has seasonic make a number of their PSUs and they spec the parts that go in them to be a little better then seasonic themselves put in their own power supplies. That was a few years ago however, I can only guess that corsair asks for at least the same level of parts that go into their PSUs that seasonic has in theirs.

Seasonic only makes the AX1200 for Corsair (which is a top of the line PSU)... forgot who makes the others, but it ain't Seasonic
That is false, Seasonic makes the entire AX series for Corsair. I think they might also make a few others as well. Unless things have very recently changed that is.
Read a few reviews and compare the AX series to a like model of seasonic X series. Going by looks alone they are pretty much identical.

Edit: Channelwell makes most of the HX line of power supplies, however seasonic makes the HX650.

Last edited:
This is great information. I have a HX PSU good to know who makes them. Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for the info! Since the power supply in question is an AX model and because a lot of the 'evidence' of sleep mode issues with it is anecdotal, I'm trying to figure out if it's some problem with the mobo or chipset drivers or windows updates etc.

Hi,

Thanks for the info! Since the power supply in question is an AX model and because a lot of the 'evidence' of sleep mode issues with it is anecdotal, I'm trying to figure out if it's some problem with the mobo or chipset drivers or windows updates etc.
I have a feeling it's moreso related to the drivers as well. What video card do you have in the system (you sig doesn't seem fully up to date since I don't see the x79 there).
Have you checked to be sure you have all your drivers fully up to date?

Full system spec:

dzP93.png

Last edited:
Lots of questions, so I'll make them as brief as I can...
Is this the first time it has blue screened?

-Does the OCZ drive have the latest firmware?
-latest chipset drivers for the motherboard?
-I have a suspicion that the quadro might also be an issue, latest drivers there or are you using older ones?

Never checked the OCZ firmware, I need to do that. Situation complicated because I built this computer for my buddy. So, it only lived here until yesterday. I will be maintaining it so I'll have a chance to check this stuff.

Latest chipset drivers as per asus download website
Quadro is partner certified driver:
QUADRO/TESLA DRIVER RELEASE 275
Version:
275.89 WHQL
Release Date:

Thanks for your help. I don't like such a nice system to have a flaw like this.

Does it blue screen every time it comes out of sleep or is it sporadic?

I'm hoping that it's the firmware on the OCZ since everything else seems to be up to date.

If that doesn't do it you might want to install windows debugger to narrow down the problem. In the past this has helped me find and fix odd issues like this where the computer otherwise works just fine.

Cool, thanks for the info - I never thought about the OCZ firmware even though I went through hell with the vertex3 firmware bsod'ing last year. I'll check it out as soon as possible.

I have the AX series PSU in my system with my Sabertooth X79 System and have no issues, I know that the Sabertooth X79 had some issues with the intel drivers with SSD's esp if you try to raid them.
Asus used Enterprise Intel drivers with the X79 board for the Intel ports and have been known to have some issues with some SSDs. Mine are a little buggy at times. I couldn't raid my SSDs due to the issue so I have a stand alone drive and just the second SSD as a program drive. I was trying to use 2x Corsair Force 3 Drives at the time.

Haven't got any blue screens, but I would suggest looking into updating the Intel port drivers and SSD firmware..
And Yes, OCZ has some issues with the earlier Vertex firmware but OCZ released a update on fixing the issues.

Last edited:
Seasonic only makes the AX1200 for Corsair (which is a top of the line PSU)... forgot who makes the others, but it ain't Seasonic

This is actually completely backwards, the AX1200 is one of the only AX line PSU's NOT made by Seasonic. It is made by Flextronics.

I'm not sure about AX series sleep bug (I've had AX750, 850 and 1200), but I know I've never had any success resuming from sleep on any X79 setup I've owned (gigabyte, ECS, Asus, MSI) or any SB setup for that matter. Probably 4 out of 5 get a BSOD. Something about the deep sleep states doesn't seem to work properly. I'm not sure why it matters, with an SSD it takes just as long to do a fresh boot as to resume from sleep. I just let my machine run 24/7 so I don't have to worry about it, although I know some people don't like to.

This is actually completely backwards, the AX1200 is one of the only AX line PSU's NOT made by Seasonic. It is made by Flextronics.

I'm not sure about AX series sleep bug (I've had AX750, 850 and 1200), but I know I've never had any success resuming from sleep on any X79 setup I've owned (gigabyte, ECS, Asus, MSI) or any SB setup for that matter. Probably 4 out of 5 get a BSOD. Something about the deep sleep states doesn't seem to work properly. I'm not sure why it matters, with an SSD it takes just as long to do a fresh boot as to resume from sleep. I just let my machine run 24/7 so I don't have to worry about it, although I know some people don't like to.

Hmm, learn something new everyday...
jonnyguru said:
Well, now - that's certainly a different looking unit, isn't it? You say you don't recognize the layout as either Seasonic or CWT, like the rest of Corsair's units? That could be due to the fact that Corsair went to a new OEM on this one, Flextronics. And I'm just going to 'fess up right now - I am not desoldering all that stuff in there. Much of the electronics should be identifiable using clever camera angles and a lot of hard squinting.
Source:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=189

The only problem I have with sleep is the computer wakes itself up after a minute to a few hours after I put it to sleep (specs in sig). I've never had a BSOD or reboot from it going to sleep.

My x79 sabertooth build would wake up from sleep after only a few seconds. I traced the issue to the network adaptor.... There was some kind of "suspend" setting or something... Disabling it did the trick and I've had 0 sleep issues since then. That was right after the build in Nov so I do not recall the exact setting I changed. I can dig in there tonight to see if I can remember.

My x79 sabertooth build would wake up from sleep after only a few seconds. I traced the issue to the network adaptor.... There was some kind of "suspend" setting or something... Disabling it did the trick and I've had 0 sleep issues since then. That was right after the build in Nov so I do not recall the exact setting I changed. I can dig in there tonight to see if I can remember.
Fantastic! I'll check that out next time I'm at my computer :cool:

Back