Windows 8 Will Be Available Oct. 26th

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to the Windows team blog, Windows 8 will be available on October 26th. How many of you will be updating?

October 26th, 2012! That’s right! Just a few minutes ago, Steven Sinofsky announced at Microsoft’s annual sales meeting that customers will be able to get Windows 8 – whether in upgrade fashion or on a new PC – starting on October 26th. Earlier this month at the Microsoft Worldwide Partner Conference, Tami Reller told attendees Windows 8 would be available in October. But now everyone has a specific date to mark on their calendars. It’s on mine!

I see no reason to upgrade at this time. I'm perfectly happy with Windows 7. It does everything I want just fine. Just because MS builds it doesn't mean I will come. :D

If I can get Win8 Pro for $39 then I'll do it... Otherwise I'll just wait for Win9

They would have to pay me daily for me to ever use that crap .... i feel sorry for all those people that dont know what its like and get it pre installed on their nice new computer :p

I think Windows7 is maybe the best operating system ever and I have no complaints with it and it works flawlessly. Ill definitely check out the reviews and write ups on it but I doubt Ill be upgrading. Ill more than likely be waiting for Win9.

I will probably not upgrade my desktop to windows 8 but I will probably pick me up one of the windows 8 tablets (idk if I want the ARM one or the traditional x86 one, price will be a big factor).

Nope. My systems work flawlessly as it is with Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. I don't see any reason to upgrade to Windows 8.

sign me up for 2 , vista sucks on my laptop and w7 runs worse than xp cause i don't have the magical 3gig of ram #. It'll stretch my upgrade time a bit more.

I just got an older Vostro with Vista Business. It'll be getting a Windows 8 upgrade and probably my netbook too. :)

won't you guys be forced to upgrade because of the next generation of directx being released only for Windows 8?

I will be buying 3 copies, 1 for my laptop, 1 for my desktop and 1 for my tablet. By the way, for people here who are supposed to be [H]ard, all I can think of is your [J]oking, right? Obviously, none of you have seem to have heard of dual booting, eh?

I will be buying 3 copies, 1 for my laptop, 1 for my desktop and 1 for my tablet. By the way, for people here who are supposed to be [H]ard, all I can think of is your [J]oking, right? Obviously, none of you have seem to have heard of dual booting, eh?

They probably fell into the trap of making fun of Window 8 in order to hide their basic human fear of change. In doing so, they've gotten stuck with words previously stated and would be going back on them in the eye of an uncaring public (which they mistakenly think they will lose face with by trying Windows 8) by buying into and learning the new OS. Not consciously aware of that, they've grown progressively more irate because the walls are closing in around them, but they haven't yet comprehended why because the ability to perform constructive, critical self-analysis is beyond their reach. It's funny a human's psyche is so frail that it gets to this point over a stupid operating system on a stupid piece of computer hardware.

At least, that's my psycho-bs troll post for the moment (even if it is the truth). :D

WOW that is the same fucking day i planned to buy 2 copies of windows 7...

That plan is not changed im buying windows 7.

If the 39 dollar option is available for me, I'll upgrade. No more than that though, won't be paying 89 bucks for it.

I just started using Release Preview 2 days ago, and frankly, after a couple hours of WTF moments, it's starting to grow on me, and I've been using Win 7 since well before it came out. I really don't get the aversion to it. From the desktop, it's pretty much identical to windows 7 in every practical way, plus it has a few neat new tools. The only thing disappointing to me is IE 10...it's still woahfully behind Chrome, and I was really hoping to make the switch back.

I'm surprised nobody's bitching that you can't get Windows 8 Full Retail editions anymore. You can only buy the upgrade version and upgrade if you have an existing version of Windows, or you have to buy a new PC (or my guess would be the equivalent of an "OEM" version when we build our own new PCs). That'll limit us to having to keep our old CDs/DVDs/Product Keys and/or buy a new copy of Windows 8 every time we upgrade our hardware in any significant way.

No, I just got all the computers in my building moved to windows 7 and have the users, mostly, adjusted to it. Maybe I'll look at a new OS 4 years down the road.

They probably fell into the trap of making fun of Apple in order to hide their basic human fear of change. In doing so, they've gotten stuck with words previously stated and would be going back on them in the eye of an uncaring public (which they mistakenly think they will lose face with by trying an iPhone) by buying into and learning IOS 6.0. Not consciously aware of that, they've grown progressively more irate because the walls are closing in around them, but they haven't yet comprehended why because the ability to perform constructive, critical self-analysis is beyond their reach. It's funny a human's psyche is so frail that it gets to this point over a stupid operating system on a stupid piece of computer hardware.

At least, that's my psycho-bs troll post for the moment (even if it is the truth). :D

Skirbbel, awesome post. I made a couple of changes above to see if it has the same effect for my Android loving, Apple hating friends on here!

i was hoping win8 would release earlier... not that i care for the os... but the touch screen ultra books are looking to launch to coin side with win 8 release... and i want to get my hands on one lol

They probably fell into the trap of making fun of Window 8 in order to hide their basic human fear of change. In doing so, they've gotten stuck with words previously stated and would be going back on them in the eye of an uncaring public (which they mistakenly think they will lose face with by trying Windows 8) by buying into and learning the new OS. Not consciously aware of that, they've grown progressively more irate because the walls are closing in around them, but they haven't yet comprehended why because the ability to perform constructive, critical self-analysis is beyond their reach. It's funny a human's psyche is so frail that it gets to this point over a stupid operating system on a stupid piece of computer hardware.

I ditched Windows for GNU/Linux (except for my Wintendo, but with Steam coming out for GNU/Linux, I hope to soon bring that over as well). Please tell me again how I am afraid of change?

How many of you will be updating?

Not I. Windows XP, FLP and 7 will be the last versions of Windows I ever use. If Microsoft gets their head on right for Windows 9 I may reconsider but until then my main desktops will be Mac OS X and Ubuntu. Microsoft can thank themselves for driving me, a Windows user since WFW 3.11, away.

Back