How HP Plans To Do 'That Cloud Thing"

That's pretty funny. "1000". :D

Which is all some CEO needs to hear before signing the check :D

"Cloud Computing" is all the rage... and yet no one really knows what it is other than real tech folks, and we're not too fond of it in terms of control and management. The vid really hit home that most people have no idea what "The Cloud" is... or how to use it... they just know they need to use it. I pretty much giggled all the way through it.

anyone get a creepy corona light comercial before the video ? that sheep will give me nightmares x.x

anyone get a creepy corona light comercial before the video ? that sheep will give me nightmares x.x

Yeah, got the Corona ad, too. Thought it was odd and wondered how it was going to spin "the cloud" and "HP" into it. HA. Took me a sec to realize it was just an ad.

Not sure which is funnier, the parody of "the cloud" or the actual concept of "the cloud".

It's the stupidest thing I have heard in a long time. I'll pay you to store my shit when the hard drives for me to do it would cost less, and then when you go belly up, I lose all my shit anyway. :cool: :eek:

Yep, I'll get right on it.

I don't want to OWN any of my software, hell no, not when I can RENT IT for twice the price. :rolleyes:

Not sure which is funnier, the parody of "the cloud" or the actual concept of "the cloud".

It's the stupidest thing I have heard in a long time. I'll pay you to store my shit when the hard drives for me to do it would cost less, and then when you go belly up, I lose all my shit anyway. :cool: :eek:

Yep, I'll get right on it.

I don't want to OWN any of my software, hell no, not when I can RENT IT for twice the price. :rolleyes:

Yea--it's today's extension of yesterday's "Network Computer" thinking (courtesy of SUN.) There is one frightening difference, however, between now and then: today we've got the bandwidth (pretty much) to do it. Then, we did not.

I agree with you that it will be a fight as to who actually owns the programs we buy--as in, will they be stored locally or in the cloud? I don't think cloud computing will fly except in commercial and highly generalized uses--and even then it will be iffy. The principle of personal ownership is so deeply ingrained in the American psyche that you might even call it "human nature."

I can only see "cloud computing" becoming popular if software companies were to offer steep discounts for "Keeping it in the cloud"--like maybe 80%-90% off. But I can't think of one good reason why software companies might ever want to do that...;)

"Crowdsourcing 2.0" - I lol'd.

Scary thing is, I've heard people discuss things in a similar manner at meetings. :eek:

I can only see "cloud computing" becoming popular if software companies were to offer steep discounts for "Keeping it in the cloud"--like maybe 80%-90% off. But I can't think of one good reason why software companies might ever want to do that...;)

Too bad Steam and EA don't share that sentiment. Those services aren't quite the cloud computing model we're talking about, but it's on the fringe. One nice thing about the, gosh, I even hate saying this phrase, "cloud computing" is that I don't need to worry about damaging DVDs/CD or loosing my installation key. I do use Google <aheem> Docs/Drive and like it for mobile uses, but if I were to ever compose a full document, I much prefer using my local Office applications.

Real cloud computing has a place in business. It's not that the cost of software is cheaper, it's that the cost of maintenance and deployment is far cheaper.

Wow, this is the first honest video about somebody's cloud facilities I've seen.

WaltC, the Network Computer is just a prettier teletype.

Real cloud computing has a place in business. It's not that the cost of software is cheaper, it's that the cost of maintenance and deployment is far cheaper.

Real businesses have had their own network distribution setups years before the cloud fad. I really dislike the term.

Yes , in a big company perspective , with many locations. Thats all.

This was as funny as watching our(U.S.) Presidents, past and future crack a joke during their The State of the Union Address, which isn't funny, at all.

Uploading stuff to a server is not "the cloud." People were doing that in 1985. Any idiot will call anything "the cloud" now.

I don't mind keeping things "in the cloud", as stated before having mobile access to them is great and no need to carry around thumb-drives. Just make sure you have access to "the cloud" from where you are. One last thing, my "cloud" is WAY better than yours!

Had the same corona add, was like I swear I've seen this, didnt know it was cloud based lol

in other news...

we got 4G, 5G, 6G, really all the G's

LOL

This used to be a bannable offense. Check the forum rules.

I can use ad blockers on other sites without blocking ads here. The video wasn't hosted here and as such fell subject to ad blocking rules.

My whitelist
HardOCP.com - Allow
Teamliquid.net - Allow
All other sites - Deny

:confused:

OK, all this talk of the forum rules prompted me to re-read the rules - yesterday when this ad blocking topic was first mentioned and then again today. Someone point out which line item says one cannot block ads (from [H] or otherwise) because I am just not seeing it. Rules 19 and 22 are the only ones that reference any sort of advertising but even those do not really apply to blocking ads. Someone help me out here.

Forum rules link is at the bottom of the page, left side inside the "Posting Rules" box.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, so forgive me for blocking your rays, but what is this "real cloud computing" thing you speak of? Cloud computing is just a lot of marketing smoke that fogs up how people view existing technologies, making the industry a stormy place where vaporous promises are made about the benefits of old ideas branded under a new moniker. It's doing nothing but confusing the tech industry and causing unnecessary turbulence.

Real cloud computing involves doing serious tasks that benefit from non-localized assets. You're working in some scientific or engineering corp somewhere, trying to crunch some serious numbers, and in a server farm the hypervisor breaks off a chunk of computing power for you, configures a virtual workstation with sufficient resources to accomplish the task, etc.

Or say you're developing software and want to test different configurations of processing power, OSes, memory, etc. A lot easier to have the hypervisor set that up virtually for testing than to actually try to build and set up all that stuff.

But yeah, on a number of users basis, most people are using "the cloud" to back up pictures no one is ever going to look at anyway...BFD.

Real cloud computing involves doing serious tasks that benefit from non-localized assets. You're working in some scientific or engineering corp somewhere, trying to crunch some serious numbers, and in a server farm the hypervisor breaks off a chunk of computing power for you, configures a virtual workstation with sufficient resources to accomplish the task, etc.

Or say you're developing software and want to test different configurations of processing power, OSes, memory, etc. A lot easier to have the hypervisor set that up virtually for testing than to actually try to build and set up all that stuff.

But yeah, on a number of users basis, most people are using "the cloud" to back up pictures no one is ever going to look at anyway...BFD.

That's called virtualization though.

It's also called cloud computing. I guess that's part of the problem of "cloud," it's kind of ambiguous.

That's called virtualization though.

Why on earth would one want to backup a regular cloud when you could backup to the cloud rolls! :D
rolls_0.jpg

Back