NVIDIA Gets $12M Department of Energy Contract For Exascale Research

HardOCP News

[H] News
The U.S. Department of Energy has awarded NVIDIA a $12.4 million contract to research and develop technologies to achieve exascale computing. We’re very excited to work closely with DOE scientists to advance the frontiers of science.

The two-year contract calls for NVIDIA to conduct research and development in processor architecture, circuits, memory architecture, high-speed signaling and programming models to enable an exascale computer at a reasonable power level. The concept is to use thousands of efficient, throughput-optimized cores to perform the bulk of the work, with a handful of latency-optimized cores to perform the residual serial computation. We’ll work with scientists at seven DOE laboratories to ensure our design meets their needs and runs their scientific workloads.

wonder why didn't they go with intel. i know amd/ati is out of the pic because it is not from US.

Come on guys, keep up. Intel got a separate grant from the DOE. They will do development on their MICs for the DOE. They may not have much on the consumer market, but the MICs kick butt on HPC workloads.

This is what is known as corporate welfare. This is why the DoE is one of the first departments that needs to go away. The free market determines where to future of computers goes, not the federal government. I bet this doesn't create any new jobs. Have you noticed the the DoE has been giving away a lot of your tax dollars lately?

This is what is known as corporate welfare. This is why the DoE is one of the first departments that needs to go away. The free market determines where to future of computers goes, not the federal government. I bet this doesn't create any new jobs. Have you noticed the the DoE has been giving away a lot of your tax dollars lately?

This isn't corporate welfare. This is the DoE doing advanced R&D for their next generation of super computers.

The DoD and DoE have been doing this for close to a century now. The very technology we are communicating through is the direct result of DoD/DoE research funding.

In this case the research contracts that the DoE just released are fundamental to the national security directive of the US Constitution in that they are part of the plan for the Stockpile Stewardship undertaken by the DoE National Labs (LANL, LLNL, Sandia, etc).

The primary mission and cost of the DoE is the nuclear security apparatus without which the US would have no nuclear weapons, no nuclear aircraft carriers, no nuclear submarines, no nuclear reactors, etc.

If you want to target corporate welfare, I would suggest you take a long hard look at the DoD, quite likely the most wasteful department in the whole entire government which has more projects cancelled without results and more projects that exponentially exceed their budgets with still below par results than the rest of the government combined. The F-35 cost overruns alone are enough to pay the DoE budget for over 10 years.

Back