Copyright Troll Lawyer Slammed By Court of Appeals

HardOCP News

[H] News
It sure doesn't seem like a good time to be a copyright troll, does it? It's actually kinda funny to see how the tide has turned against these guys. :cool:

A lawyer who threatened countless individuals in copyright troll-style lawsuits has been slammed by the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. The highly colorful Evan Stone sent subpoenas to ISPs without permission of the court in order to extract payments from alleged BitTorrent users, but will now take a huge hit to his reputation. On top of a fine and paying costs to the EFF and Public Citizen, he will have to inform all clients and judges he currently has cases with about this ruling against him.

Maybe this will make groups like the RIAA and MPAA think twice about using these tactics.

But true to form Stone would not be giving in, informing Ars Technica: “After three rewrites, I finally decided I’m just going to have to let Justin Bieber do my quoting for me: ‘Whenever you knock me down I will not stay on the ground.’”

did he have permission to use that lyric? ;)

Maybe this will make groups like the RIAA and MPAA think twice about using these tactics.

Probably not.... the MPAA and RIAA probably has enough money to make such things slide under many carpets. Expensive ones... owned by judges, at that.

Probably not.... the MPAA and RIAA probably has enough money to make such things slide under many carpets. Expensive ones... owned by judges, at that.

True, but we can dream, can't we? ;)

Back