Hackers Claim To Have Stolen 450,000 Yahoo Accounts

HardOCP News

[H] News
Hackers are claiming they have stolen 450,000 Yahoo accounts. Yahoo has notified the 6 actual people affected as well as the 449,994 spammers that owned those accounts.

A previously unknown hacker group has posted online the details of 450,000 user accounts and passwords it claims to have taken from a Yahoo server. A Yahoo spokesperson in Singapore declined to comment.

6 people would actually be a lot for yahoo. who on earth uses yahoo voices?

I never knew Yahoo had such a service and I've been a Yahoo subscriber for a decade+. Way to advertise, Yahoo. ;)

Yes, I change my Yahoo password frequently.

Can they post passwords? I assumed that a company like Yahoo would only keep password hashes, which don't reveal the passwords without a tremendous amount of computing power.

Yahoo still exists? Lol

Anyways im sure most accounts are spam bots.

Can they post passwords? I assumed that a company like Yahoo would only keep password hashes, which don't reveal the passwords without a tremendous amount of computing power.
There is no amount of computing power that can reveal the password from a hash because it is a one-way algorithm.

There is no amount of computing power that can reveal the password from a hash because it is a one-way algorithm.

True to a point. If you know the output hash all you need to do is find an input that produces a hash collision. Pretty expensive to do that from a compute standpoint but is more feasible that reverse computing the original password.

i had 3 kind of accounts, my favorite is yahoo..........worse one for me its hotmail.

Hacker walking into the Yahoo building at 10am on a Tuesday and notices no employees there walks into the server room and finds a server not locked and prints out 450,000 yahoo accounts. Walks around the abandoned building for 5 minutes looking for where these pages printed at and finally runs into an employee whom has to do a double take at the amazement of someone else in the building and quickly runs to great a human then directs the hacker to the printer. He notices the pages has a list of the last 450,000 yahoo users and thinks to himself.....Maybe they will finally give me my severance package.

My question is regarding the Yahoo spokesperson in Singapore. Were they on vacation or do they have a significant presence there?

Oooh! Better yet, maybe this should be the headline:

"In desperate bid to become relevant again, Yahoo pays a hacker to take 450,000 passwords so they can report the 'hack' to the news."

This is not yahoo.com accounts; it's accounts on a sub-site (Y! Voices) which was an acquisition (Associated Content), and apparently didn't migrate to standard yahoo login.

My question is regarding the Yahoo spokesperson in Singapore. Were they on vacation or do they have a significant presence there?

Singapore is one of the tech capital of the world, like Taiwan, Japan and China. Since Singapore is a small island city with virtually no resources, most of the companies there are managerial and service-based.

Singapore is one of the more advanced and modern country in the world.

Singapore is one of the tech capital of the world, like Taiwan, Japan and China. Since Singapore is a small island city with virtually no resources, most of the companies there are managerial and service-based.

Singapore is one of the more advanced and modern country in the world.

This stuff...think ultra-modern and super high-technology with cybernetic enhancements, gigantically fast networks, and mega-hackers all trying to defeat one another in a dystopian, eighty years from now, future. So, exactly like Louisana except surrounded by water and a lot smaller.

True to a point. If you know the output hash all you need to do is find an input that produces a hash collision. Pretty expensive to do that from a compute standpoint but is more feasible that reverse computing the original password.

I thought the only real world collision success was the recent one aimed at Microsoft by a probable state actor.

Back