Facebook Groups To Show Who Saw Each Post

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Facebook creepy factor has just bumped up another notch. :eek:

Starting today when you visit a group, you can view who’s seen each post. This way you can stay updated on the group’s activity. For example, in your soccer group you can post the new practice time and then see who got the update.

get ready for a brave new world everyone... seems like those dystopic movies like 1984 and brave new world aren't so far-fetched after all

The site mixi has had this since forever. You can see the last 40 people to view your page/blog/whatever. Just not which page exactly they viewed.

I have many problems with Facebook regarding privacy, but this is hardly one of them. This isn't even in the same vane as their other privacy violations. I mean consider this, is this different than when people come to a meeting and have to sign/badge in? Or attendance for class? Or read receipts for e-mail? I don't see a problem with this. If you don't want to be part of a group, then don't be in one. It actually sounds like a perfectly acceptable idea to me.

Or read receipts for e-mail? I don't see a problem with this. If you don't want to be part of a group, then don't be in one. It actually sounds like a perfectly acceptable idea to me.

I agree. If this was a global facebook thing, that would be different. But seeing as it seems to only relate to groups, it's not a big deal. Quite handy if you like to organize stuff with friends on facebook, actually.

I have many problems with Facebook regarding privacy, but this is hardly one of them. This isn't even in the same vane as their other privacy violations. I mean consider this, is this different than when people come to a meeting and have to sign/badge in? Or attendance for class? Or read receipts for e-mail? I don't see a problem with this. If you don't want to be part of a group, then don't be in one. It actually sounds like a perfectly acceptable idea to me.

Yep. The only issue I have is if you can't join any group without being required to sign up for the Facebook group as more people adopt this kind of practice.

This is storing user activity so it does run into privacy problems. I see this as a first step towards eventually being able to see exactly who visited your profile and when.

That would be a bad idea of course, because one thing people definitely like on facebook is the ability to browser people's pages/posts/images without that person knowing.

All true.
Facebook remains viable because (let's face it) stalking from one degree to the other. They'll never disclose who has viewed what on what profile, at least if they were smart.

I personally hate using Facebook, but there's too many people on there in one nice centralized place to share updates with that it's too hard NOT to use.

This is storing user activity so it does run into privacy problems. I see this as a first step towards eventually being able to see exactly who visited your profile and when.

That would be a bad idea of course, because one thing people definitely like on facebook is the ability to browser people's pages/posts/images without that person knowing.

Right and wrong at the same time. One, everything you do is stored by FB. But not everything is made public (yet). What this is doing is making public to the group owner and only the group owner whether or not you read a post made in the group. It is not making public all of your activity. So really, what is the problem here?

I have more of a problem with them actively monitoring all my chats and sending information to the authorities. Luckily I don't often use their chat service or really much of anything on FB except to keep up with old friends from time to time.

Back