10 Years Ago Today in Tech

HardOCP News

[H] News
It's funny how 10 years ago today, overclocking was as important to our readers as ever, memory prices were sky high and tech support still sucked. The more things change, the more they stay the same. ;)

Thought we might let you know that we have noticed that DDR prices are on the rise, last month 512MB PC2700 = US$87, today = US$125. Pentium4 1.6As going up in price as well, that means they are getting ready to dry up. While the price of DDR is still cheap, it is on the way up…you might want to get what you need now…or snag that 1.6A while you can.

My desktop at home has 16GB. How things have changed! One thing that hasn't changed, is that 10 years ago i'd have been rocking my GeForce 2 Ultra card or my GeForce 4 TI4600. Today... i have dual GTX580's. :D

lol

i just got 16 ggb of 1333mhz ddr3 for $85, but back in the early 90s i paid $640 for a whoppino uprade my awesome 50 mhz 496g 16 mb based computer with a who;le 120 mb hd, those were the fun days of computing for me.

I think my work computer has a Pentium 4.

:(

Pretty sure it's a Prescott.

Same here, the State is talking about giving us upgrades soon. Of course an "upgrade" here is usually 4 year old tech, at least.

lol

i just got 16 ggb of 1333mhz ddr3 for $85, but back in the early 90s i paid $640 for a whoppino uprade my awesome 50 mhz 496g 16 mb based computer with a who;le 120 mb hd, those were the fun days of computing for me.

Early 90's? Sorry to point this out, but that's nearly 20 years ago now.

Remember chasing BH5 DDR sticks! For the best overclocking results.

Hell, I go back 20 years today, to the early 90's when each 4Mbit chip of dram was costing me $95 (x8 on a SIMM) when I was manufacturing memory upgrades for Mac/Amiga/Atari.

Same here, the State is talking about giving us upgrades soon. Of course an "upgrade" here is usually 4 year old tech, at least.

If you State workers get an upgrade before me in private industry, I'm gonna "accidentally" spill coffee on the motherboard of this ancient beast.

It takes me ~4 minutes to load Illustrator and all my plugins, but hey, at least I have 2gb RAM! :cool:

This is when everyone was trying to find Athlon XP 1700+ (Palomino) with the JIUHB stepping that OC'ed like crazy. Or maybe the first Thoroughbreds were coming out.

That's why I keep that old DDR ram, because they don't make it any more in large quantities it's quite pricy. Sell 512MB of PC2700 for 16gigs of DDR3? Yes please... now just need to find someone who wants it for that price :D

lol

Back then, that amount of RAM was borderline overkill. That was the max amount supported in MS-DOS 5.0 and Windows 3.0, and more than enough to run Windows NT 3.1 (which required a fuckton of RAM to run).

ah i remember black and white monitors in India (yes we had those) and now i've LED LCD monitor.

Man, I remember when having 512MB or ram was high end. This was about the time a 9700 pro was changing the world of video cards and 3DMark2001 SE scores were the top posts around here. Man 10 years goes by quickly.

My old Pentium 1.6a CPU still works fine :)

Needed to put together a test box last year, so I pulled out an old motherboard & my 1.6a CPU.
I had tossed the board in my junk box due to some bulging caps that caused stability problems.
Found another old motherboard (completely dead) that had similar caps in good condition, so I got out the soldering iron & moved them.

Added a high end heat sink I had laying around and an old power supply, and it’s completely stable at 2.4 Ghz, which is good enough for testing old parts and 32 bit software.

Not bad for a 10 year old CPU :)

Back