AMD Announces Preliminary Second Quarter Results

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD today announced that revenue for the second quarter ended June 30, 2012 is expected to decrease approximately 11 percent sequentially. The company previously forecasted second quarter 2012 revenue to increase 3 percent, plus or minus 3 percent sequentially. The lower preliminary revenue results are primarily due to business conditions that materialized late in the second quarter, specifically softer-than-expected channel sales in China and Europe as well as a weaker consumer buying environment impacting the company's Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) business.

...business conditions that materialized late in the second quarter, specifically softer-than-expected channel sales in China and Europe as well as a weaker consumer buying environment...

Market speak for "More people are buying Intel and VIA's stuff or skipping out on x86 altogether to use those zany little ARM processors!"

Market speak for "More people are buying Intel and VIA's stuff or skipping out on x86 altogether to use those zany little ARM processors!"

Don't forget Kepler. That hit AMD's graphics unit right in the gut. Took the wind out of the 7000 series' sails.

Don't forget Kepler. That hit AMD's graphics unit right in the gut. Took the wind out of the 7000 series' sails.

I did forget about Kepler! :eek: I often do that since I really don't play games much, but yeah, that's a very good point.

Wait, AMD makes slower CPU's and GPU's all the way around, really not competing anywhere, and yet...they're failing?! I call hocus pocus!

In all seriousness though, as much as I like AMD (used their CPU's for years and my last GPU was a 6870) they are falling wayyy behind and FAST. Kind of sad that even something like an Intel i3 can beat a Bulldozer in most games and programs. That's a bad thing. Very bad.

Makes you wonder how Intel/Nvidia can create technology that's so much better...like, what are AMD's engineers doing???

...like, what are AMD's engineers doing???

Intel defeated them by sending delicious Milton Bradley board games a few years ago and productivity at AMD has gone down the tubes since.

Candy-Land-MB.png

Seriously though, it stinks to hear news like this. Competition is what drives the industry to go further and faster while being more efficient. I don't think there's another company in any sort of position to worry Intel overly much.

AMD just needs a new Athlon 64 and hire 2x the amount if people on the driver teams who are competent.

The 7XXX series is fine hardware wise, they lead for 6 months. Most folks are worried about the high end but that is not where the money is made. Im sure there was a sigh of relief when they got most of the consoles on lockdown.

Damn... candy land. What a fun game it was back in my childhood days. lol... don't judge me. :p

Damn... candy land. What a fun game it was back in my childhood days. lol... don't judge me. :p

I played it too. My older brother was extremely patient by putting up with me wanting to play over and over again on weekends. :D

OMG AMD is losing money? :eek: Who would've thought.

Uh... no

What's with the 'the sky is falling' sentiment? The forecast for 2012 chipmakers, mainly on the desktop arena and GPU arena, has dropped due to the economic climate. This affects everyone, btw. nVidia last quarter had a pretty poor showing and Intel isn't going to have the same year they did last year. This isn't an AMD problem but a worldwide one.

Intel and Nvidia has teH big $$$$$ and fab advantage over poor AMD. :(

Who cares about the fab advantage? Their products don't magically give me warm fuzziness for my money. They need to step up to the plate if they want my cash.

Oh, and yeah the 7000 hardware may or may not have been fine, but who cares if the drivers make it suck anyway? My money can buy better.

Uh... no

What's with the 'the sky is falling' sentiment? The forecast for 2012 chipmakers, mainly on the desktop arena and GPU arena, has dropped due to the economic climate. This affects everyone, btw. nVidia last quarter had a pretty poor showing and Intel isn't going to have the same year they did last year. This isn't an AMD problem but a worldwide one.

Because its fun to talk about AMD being dead because Bulldozer was a dud. The 7000 cards are doing just fine. Nvidia has 2 cards, the $400 GTX670 and the $500 GTX680. AMD has a $450 7970 that's faster than the 670 and the 7950 that's about as fast as the 670 but $60 cheaper. The 7870 and 7850 are doing just fine at their price points as well.

We get this thread every quarter.

Makes you wonder how Intel/Nvidia can create technology that's so much better...like, what are AMD's engineers doing???

They can make better technology than AMD because they have (ALOT) more money than AMD. Its that simple. R&D and the best engineers cost $$$, and Nvidia and Intel have the cash to get the best in both areas.

Intel is AMD x 10,000. If I recall their R&D budget alone dwarfs AMD's entire income.

I'm not sure how much bigger Nvidia is, but I do know that they a HUGE presence in academia (its comparable to Intel) that AMD can't match and they don't have a crapton of debt to worry about.

Who cares about the fab advantage? Their products don't magically give me warm fuzziness for my money. They need to step up to the plate if they want my cash.

Well to be fair, it gives them a more competitive edge.

Because its fun to talk about AMD being dead because Bulldozer was a dud. The 7000 cards are doing just fine. Nvidia has 2 cards, the $400 GTX670 and the $500 GTX680. AMD has a $450 7970 that's faster than the 670 and the 7950 that's about as fast as the 670 but $60 cheaper. The 7870 and 7850 are doing just fine at their price points as well.

We get this thread every quarter.

+1

Its important to understand that enthusiasts, and products aimed at them, don't dictate the success or failure of any of these companies. However, given that this is an enthusiast forum, its difficult to not look at it through enthusiast lenses.

if intel shows increased revenue, this will be fun to watch.

if it really was a soft market, all is forgiven.

llano was supposed to be competitive. They should have been selling as many as the core i3's in laptops

Trinity isn't a big enough leap to make most current amd owners upgrade or purchase new systems for. It's just going to replace current apu sales.

Back