Microsoft Surface Chassis Suffers Low Yields

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this DigiTimes article, anonymous sources say that Surface chassis production is currently suffering from low yields. The article sounds like a whole lot of speculation and guessing, but rumors are always fun to debate / discuss.

Microsoft reportedly planned to adopt unibody magnesium-aluminum chassis for its Surface tablet PCs originally, but affected by chassis makers' limited capacity, the company has instead turned to adopt a magnesium chassis and use MegVapor technology for surface treatment to allow the device to feature a similar exterior to traditional metal chassis; however, due to the method having a rather low yield rate, is has greatly affected Microsoft in trying to mass produce its new tablet PCs, according to sources from the upstream supply chain.

What a stupid misuse of the term. It's not because it's a case plant that it has a yield like a corn field.
A yield is only when the thing you planted returns more of it, like a grain of corn yields an ear of corn, or an investment yields more money in interest rates.
I don't think that if you plant magnesium alloy, you will get more of it.

So how much heavier will a pure magnesium case be, and why do they even need a surface treatment? Is it because it dissolves in water or burn in a flash?
It would be great if the Surface could replace my Swedish fire starter when camping. One less item to carry...

Microsoft has been making devices like routers, mice, and keyboards for years. I'm pretty sure they're capable of working through supplier issues like this, and I'd be surprised if there weren't any problems.

What a stupid misuse of the term. It's not because it's a case plant that it has a yield like a corn field.
One definition of the word yield is "the full amount of an agricultural or industrial product". This is an industrial product, thus the number produced is the yield.

The word is perfectly appropriate.

A yield is only when the thing you planted returns more of it, like a grain of corn yields an ear of corn, or an investment yields more money in interest rates.

So how much heavier will a pure magnesium case be, and why do they even need a surface treatment? Is it because it dissolves in water or burn in a flash?
It would be great if the Surface could replace my Swedish fire starter when camping. One less item to carry...

Magnesium cases are not new. My Sony Z505 had one in 2001. It was pretty much the first Ultraportable line, they even nixed the optical drive.

OMG I want a Surface sooo bad! Can't wait to get one and install Windows 7 on it!

Understand something before you comment on it. A yield is the output of anything, in general. The use of magnesium is for lightweight to higher strength ratios and magnesium requires certain surface treatments so that corrosion is minimized. There is a common misconception that magnesium cases are somehow potential ignition sources. That is false.

Also, there are only a few manufacturing techniques that can produce solid mag chassis. If they sent this overseas, I can see why they are getting low yields. Asia has a horrible record for producing mag chassis because of their limited knowledge of how that material needs to be processed. There is a lot to consider when fabricating mag chassis. It is not that easy to do.

You mean Windows 8? Why would you not want a touchscreen OS on a tablet computer?

Yeah, greatly reduce the touch capabilities along with making in slower and reducing battery life. Just run Windows 7 in a VM, should work great with HyperV.

Microsoft has been making devices like routers, mice, and keyboards for years. I'm pretty sure they're capable of working through supplier issues like this, and I'd be surprised if there weren't any problems.

And they tend to drop them like hot potatoes without warning.

I would never, ever in a million years buy another hardware product from Microsoft, except maybe a keyboard or mouse. Been burned too many times.

I think people will remember this, and it's going to hurt sales.

Now, as for low yields on a metal frame, well, that's just silly :)

Also, there are only a few manufacturing techniques that can produce solid mag chassis. If they sent this overseas, I can see why they are getting low yields. Asia has a horrible record for producing mag chassis because of their limited knowledge of how that material needs to be processed. There is a lot to consider when fabricating mag chassis. It is not that easy to do.

There are thousands of companies who work with aluminum. I don't get why they just don't use aluminum. A few grams in weight savings? I like the look of anodized aluminum.

There are thousands of companies who work with aluminum. I don't get why they just don't use aluminum. A few grams in weight savings? I like the look of anodized aluminum.

Because of Apple lawsuits. Aluminum is the exclusive intellectual property of Steve Jobs. Even typing the word in a forum is putting yourself in danger of infringement. By the way, has anyone bothered to let Lan Li know?

I imagine Microsoft just has a thing for NeXT enclosures. You know, the ones made out of magnesium ;)

It's a good marketing thing anyway. Microsoft needs to make the Surface cool, and magnesium adds to the cool factor.

Because they are trying to create something different. The Idea here is to create a signature device, like nothing else out there. Everyone is already comparing Surface to the iPad and I think Microsoft is trying create at least some differentiation.

Back