Apple Granted Patent for Head-Mounted Computing Device

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Very quietly this week, Apple was granted a patent on a head mounted display device on an application filed back in 2006. While Google was conducting a knockout demo of Google Glass, Apple was busy applying for a broad patent on the same basic process. It looks like litigious Apple Corp is setting up for another epic court battle somewhere on down the road. Thanks to [H] member Sly for the heads up.

Google’s patent is very specific to Google Glass — it’s for a wearable display with an integrated finger-tracking input sensor. Apple’s on the other hand, seems pretty broad, covering a variety of head mounted display technology implementations.

I saw a commercial for a wearable computer many years ago. I've seen finger-tracking software in sci-fi tv shows since the 90s, like in Earth Final Conflict. Both featured full interfaces.

Whether or not they actually *worked* (they didn't) the ideas were all there, which is clearly prior art.

...I estimate that it will take about 10 years and $300 million dollars in court/lawyer fees in lawsuits for the courts to figure that out.

Discussion thread on Apple lawsuit against Google Glass coming to a forum near you! And good, I hope Apple can kill Google Glass before it becomes popular enough for a bunch of people to be walking talking spy cameras for Creepy Uncle Google.

Whether or not they actually *worked* (they didn't) the ideas were all there, which is clearly prior art.
Don't forget the rules of the game have changed, it's a first to apply rule for patents now, not a first to invent.

...I estimate that it will take about 10 years and $300 million dollars in court/lawyer fees in lawsuits for the courts to figure that out.
I estimate if we do see this technology Apple will charge 2-3 times the cost Google would have.

Apple can eat a dick , a truly magical , revolutionary, amazing, wonderful, incredible, extraordinary, better and cheaper dick.

Discussion thread on Apple lawsuit against Google Glass coming to a forum near you! And good, I hope Apple can kill Google Glass before it becomes popular enough for a bunch of people to be walking talking spy cameras for Creepy Uncle Google.

Join me in this 2 minute rant!

Damn you Emmanuel Googlestein! Damn you! Raa!

(continued for 2 minutes)

Apple can eat a dick , a truly magical , revolutionary, amazing, wonderful, incredible, extraordinary, better and cheaper dick.

Apple will own you, and your dick. You will see. In fact, they probably already have a patent on your dick as some sort of game controller.:D

Wait, what? How the fuck can they patent that? Shit like that has been in movies/games/whatever for years. Don't the military have some helmets with HUDs built in now?

Unless they're doing something new and innovative with it I don't get "what" they're actually patenting.

Wait, what? How the fuck can they patent that? Shit like that has been in movies/games/whatever for years. Don't the military have some helmets with HUDs built in now?

The number of films/shows/pictures whatever must be...

Vegeta-Scouter.jpg

Over 9000! :eek:

Yes, Prior art, but more importantly for most high tech patents, especially software related....

OBVIOUS UNDER THE ART,

But the patent system has devolved into the Patent Office rubber stamping anything not ridiculously blatantly nutz, and then letting the courts and the corporate legal departments sort it all out.

Lost in the mess is the fact that garage inventors, like oh, Steve Jobs, haven't got a chance if a corporate great white, just ified or not, aims its "I'll patent that, thanks" gun in his direction.

The loss in innovation that the patent system was supposed to foster, but now suppresses, is immeasurable.

Please read the patent... From what I gather it is some sort of invention/method on how to deal with peripheral vision issues/strain??? and not necessarily the display itself. Dealing with what I have not figured out yet:).

These freaking things are written worse then a law in the books, hard to understand (at least for me lol). Looks like there is a lot of diagrams of current known methods of HUDs etc which

The present invention provides methods and apparatus for treating the peripheral area of a user's field of view in a head mounted display, and thereby creating improved comfort and usability for head mounted displays

FUCK. PATENT OFFICE. Its so vauge and retarded. And Apple will sue anything or anyone that comes close to making something similar.

I see that Apple hasn't lost their touch. Being a bunch of fraudsters and thieves.

APPLE how about these nutz on ya chin.

F you apple and goto hell you bunch of thieves and frauds.

Apple’s on the other hand, seems pretty broad, covering a variety of head mounted display technology implementations.

Broad patents should never be granted to anyone. They are holding back the progress of all mankind for the sake of pocketing some money they do not deserve.

Developed in the 70's and fielded in the 80's

IHADSS.jpg

That's the IHADSS that came with the Apache

This one is for the F-35

ELEC_HMD_F-35_HMDS_Testing_lg.jpg

Please read the patent... From what I gather it is some sort of invention/method on how to deal with peripheral vision issues/strain??? and not necessarily the display itself. Dealing with what I have not figured out yet:).

These freaking things are written worse then a law in the books, hard to understand (at least for me lol). Looks like there is a lot of diagrams of current known methods of HUDs etc which

Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiihSdo4KDY

Could be, I have so far deciphered the patent is for a light emitter in the periphery of HMD/HUD, also mentions of color correction by that emitter. The goal of being a better viewing experience, in what fashion I did not find.

For all I know could be something pretty lame like that, but then again that is something right up Apple's alley.

[]http://eaglet.skr.jp/MILITARY/PICTURE/IHADSS.jpg[/img]

This one is for the F-35

[]http://media.defenseindustrydaily.com/images/ELEC_HMD_F-35_HMDS_Testing_lg.jpg[/img]

The top one looks waaaay more creepy than the bottom one. Like a creepy evil baron or something... The other one looks like a friendly human fly-man.

Apple needs to die! Wasting time in court over and over again. Who is really paying for all this non-sense?
Maybe the Chinese knocking shit off left and right are up to something after all.

I hope Apple sues the military. It will wake people up, maybe some people in high places will begin to realize how the latest patent bill didn't fix everything.

IHADSS.jpg

This one is for the F-35

ELEC_HMD_F-35_HMDS_Testing_lg.jpg

You beat me to it, and it doesnt look like an Apple either, they better watch out, Lockheed Martin might be sued or is it BOEING, in any case, SCREW apple, them patent pansies. on side note +1 for Google :)

I would imagine astronaut helmets have some kind of computing electronics built into them... will they be forced to stop wearing them now? Not that it matters anymore because there's no more space program, but what about other countries who still have a space program? Will they be forced to remove all electronics, such as vital life equipment, just to comply? This is ridiculous.

I think patents for stuff like this are just stupid. In fact the entire concept of a patent is stupid. It should either be abolished, or greatly revamped. Companies like apple only do well because of IP laws such as this, not because they're actually the best.

The traditional reason for a patent was to protect an inventor of a whole invention for a short time to give the inventor a chance to market it. Ex: the light bulb, the washing machine, the car. Big full blown inventions, not silly little details on existing inventions that have been around forever.

Yeah, because Apple is so much more trustworthy...lolz.

Yeah, because Apple is so much more trustworthy...lolz.

Well, Apple is a company I can currently avoid. Google has cameras everywhere and Adsense is all over the Internet going O.O at stuft we do. For the moment, I'm only cheering them on because Apple has a shorter reach than Google.

Lot of this stuff seemed like it was military tech. Hey Apple... has anyone patented the military yet??? Something to think about in your bid for world conquest. ;)

What I think is awesome is that they patented this 6 years ago and didnt bother to do shit with it. This is the problem with patents, just patenting anything and never producing a product with it. If you have failed to take advantage of your patent within x amount of years, it should automatically be forfeit.

Back