Biologically Accurate Robot Walking Legs

If you'll notice it is still assisted in stability. It can freely move up and down, and to a limited extent forward, but not laterally. It's a good start, but I hope to see it walking without a frame some time. Obviously a frame is needed at this stage to protect such a financial investment.

Biologically accurate? I just looked down at my legs, I don't have a thick wiry muscle protruding out 7 inches in from of my thighs. Nor do I walk like Frankenstein's monster... :)

Well... when they can develop it to balance without a crutch, it'll be time to leave rehab, oh our current health care system sucks sooo... your stay will be a little longer for recovery. :D

Just looks like an animatronic that any engineer or crafts guy can put together. I'd be more impressed if it could do that without supports.

Wow this video pretty much sucked ball sacks.

Looks like any other robot shnits...still have yet to be impressed by any robot anything.

Just looks like an animatronic that any engineer or crafts guy can put together. I'd be more impressed if it could do that without supports.

I've never heard of a serious attempt to duplicate human-style balance in a walking robot.

I've never heard of a serious attempt to duplicate human-style balance in a walking robot.

How about that video i posted :p

This was how it originally walked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNSS6Skd5ns&t=1m

They eventually improved it to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvbAqw0sk6M

The weight rolls along the foot from back to front, and the feet actually goes ahead of the knees. Most walking robots move like in the first video. With the feet parallel to the ground at all times and staying below the center mass.

I think someone described the human walk as a 'controlled fall', that would involve a lot of weight being freely shifted around. If we can have a robot that can do a free form walk that doesn't need both legs to be on the ground and retain a human posture (legs straight), that would be an accomplishment. Asimo can do it, but his reverse chicken leg posture is purely mech.

Back