Where the World's Tweets Come From

HardOCP News

[H] News
Researchers at the University of Oxford have mapped the world's tweets. The U.S., Brazil, the UK and Indonesia seem to be the biggest tweeters. China, for some odd reason, seems to tweet the least. ;)

By mapping the distribution of tweets in the world it becomes apparent that Twitter is allowing for broader participation than is possible in most other platforms and media. In other words, it might be allowing for a 'democratisation' of information production and sharing because of its low barriers to entry and adaptability to mobile devices. Similarly barriers to the dissemination of information, such as censorship, are also visible through the small proportion of tweets originating in China (home to the largest population of internet users in the world).

The US tweets the most? That makes sense considering that we have the highest density of bird-brained idiots on the planet.

And none of them (tweets) have any intrinsic value. Except for that Niel DeGrassse Tyson guy, hes pretty funny.

Or atleast to me, I would have thought one of the european countries would have been next.

The twitter demographics elude me. I must know 100+ people addicted to facebook but cant think of anyone I know of that "tweets" (or at least has ever mentioned it)

This could also be used as an indicator of how boring a country is. If you have a country with a large number of tweets and a high twitter/internet penetration ratio then that most likely means there isn't anything better to do in that country.

This could also be used as an indicator of how boring a country is. If you have a country with a large number of tweets and a high twitter/internet penetration ratio then that most likely means there isn't anything better to do in that country.

Better an interactive internet zombie than a tv zombie

It's funny I don't know a single person that uses twitter. I must be surrounded by smart people :D.

It's funny I don't know a single person that uses twitter. I must be surrounded by smart people :D.

Well, everyone here is pretty much a super genius so yeah, that's true! :p Though you'd have to use more than one screen to do that surround thing to be wrapped in the awesomeness of all of us, right?

Well, everyone here is pretty much a super genius so yeah, that's true! :p Though you'd have to use more than one screen to do that surround thing to be wrapped in the awesomeness of all of us, right?

Lol very true, I need two more monitors :p, at least at home where my 23" is, at work only need one more (though they're 19" 4:3 not 16:9).

Lol very true, I need two more monitors :p, at least at home where my 23" is, at work only need one more (though they're 19" 4:3 not 16:9).

*jealous* Well at home, I have nothing but laptop screens and the only 16:9 one is on my netbook. At work, I sit mostly behind a Dell laptop with a second 4:3 screen attached. No surround [H] luff for me.

*jealous* Well at home, I have nothing but laptop screens and the only 16:9 one is on my netbook. At work, I sit mostly behind a Dell laptop with a second 4:3 screen attached. No surround [H] luff for me.

You need upgrades :p.

who actually uses this most self-absorbed form of masturbation? I automatically shitlist anyone that thinks twitter is cool.

Who cares.

Twitter is still useless crap for useless people, and it will always be useless crap for useless people...

Back