Man Lives Off Craigslist Ads For a Month

He is a weirdo with little value for his own safety.

Surprisingly I actually want to see that after watching the trailer. Looks pretty interesting.

Looks like a "how-to" tutorial on being a useless leech on society... great for hippies, not very useful to people who enjoy proper hygiene.

Considering the crap economy, how about a documentary about how to learn a trade, and apply that trade to help their fellow man, who in turn are rewarded with "dollars" they use to get help from their peers in the community. Isnt' that great, everyone working together and helping each other? Kinda sounds like a society... with jobs and money.

After all, what could possible be more SELFISH than not getting a job and contributing to your community?

Looks like a "how-to" tutorial on being a useless leech on society... great for hippies, not very useful to people who enjoy proper hygiene.

Considering the crap economy, how about a documentary about how to learn a trade, and apply that trade to help their fellow man, who in turn are rewarded with "dollars" they use to get help from their peers in the community. Isnt' that great, everyone working together and helping each other? Kinda sounds like a society... with jobs and money.

After all, what could possible be more SELFISH than not getting a job and contributing to your community?

^^^ THIS

WMOhr.jpg

Do you not know the current economic climate? Even with good trade skills you act like finding a job is something that could be done in a couple minutes.

I have held 3 manager positions since I was 18 (I'm 26 now) and have worked at numerous customer related positions since I started working. Top of my class in this field of work no doubt yet I have been without a job for 2 months...can't even get hired flipping fucking burgers at any one of the 7 fast food places around my area.

Granted I agree with the "how-to" for hippies...but get your head out your ass and realize that shit has changed for the worse the past decade. Nothing in the job industry is any better and is just getting worse all the time.

----------------------------
On topic:

Movie looks interesting...I've actually thought of doing something similar just as a experiment/travel the country for cheap while seeing the more gritty side of tourism that you can't find in some tourism book. Thought inducing idea to say the least! Can't wait for the movie to come out :)

Surprisingly I actually want to see that after watching the trailer. Looks pretty interesting.

I agree, something along the lines of Super Size Me, something to watch, no big expectations, just some good fun to see where it all goes.

Granted no way I'll pay money to watch this, I'll wait for it to come to TV :D

Do you not know the current economic climate? Even with good trade skills you act like finding a job is something that could be done in a couple minutes.

I have held 3 manager positions since I was 18 (I'm 26 now) and have worked at numerous customer related positions since I started working. Top of my class in this field of work no doubt yet I have been without a job for 2 months...can't even get hired flipping fucking burgers at any one of the 7 fast food places around my area.

Granted I agree with the "how-to" for hippies...but get your head out your ass and realize that shit has changed for the worse the past decade. Nothing in the job industry is any better and is just getting worse all the time.

Don't vote Obama next time....

Kinda weird that he claims people today live in their own bubble. Reality is every human being on earth since the dawn of man, lives in their own bubble. Very few people really knows what's truly going on in a country, let alone the world.

Granted I agree with the "how-to" for hippies...but get your head out your ass and realize that shit has changed for the worse the past decade. Nothing in the job industry is any better and is just getting worse all the time.)
Meow! Defensive much? You read more than what was said, and I also lost my job of 10.5 years and just got off unemployment as a contractor w/ no healthcare. The bad economy is all the more reason there should be documentaries about networking and bettering yourself, not how to use 21st century tools to become a full-time professional bum. ;)

And besides, we have known since the dawn of society that people can contribute nothing and live purely off the charity of others, the only thing new about this is that he's using the web to leech.

Kinda weird that he claims people today live in their own bubble. Reality is every human being on earth since the dawn of man, lives in their own bubble. Very few people really knows what's truly going on in a country, let alone the world.
And if anything, thanks to the information age and modern networking tools, one's bubble has increased dramatically.

As a kid, I moved about every two years (all over, US + SE Asia + Europe), and the inconvenience of writing snail-mail meant you just lost contact. With modern tools, distance becomes irrelevant so its easier (and thus more likely) to stay in touch.

I also find it comical that the film-maker is driving in a big city and says "I want to see if I can find a community". How much bigger of a community can you find than people that have amassed together for mutual benefit in a large densely populated city? LOL!

Haha, I want to see that. The San Fran bush dude scares everyone out there the first time.

----------------------------
On topic:

Movie looks interesting...I've actually thought of doing something similar just as a experiment/travel the country for cheap while seeing the more gritty side of tourism that you can't find in some tourism book. Thought inducing idea to say the least! Can't wait for the movie to come out :)

Off-topic:
I've been laid off since April. I have 3 technical certificates, 1 degree and am a trained real estate agent (will need to get re-certified). I live with my parents, and do odd jobs here and there by going through Craigslist if it's related to computers. I also do computer and technical support on the side but isn't much of a real job at the least. I don't know what's up with the economy or with employers nowadays but if I can't get hired by some place like Wendy's or two Walmarts, then something is definitely wrong.

I have three friends that are good examples. One with a vocational nurses certificate and an AA degree has been laid off about 11 times in the last 6 years. Two others have BS degrees and have been laid off about three times in the last 10 years. One of the two is working as a manager for Dominoes. He cannot find a steady job for his intended degree-- electrical engineering. The other one has not found a job with his degree in biology. He, like myself, has been doing odd jobs here and there, and his current job is a temp work as a courier.

It seems a college degree nowadays is nothing more than a bullshit piece of paper saying "hey, I graduated college. Now what?" It seems that's how employers think nowadays. Trade skills doesn't seem to get you anywhere either. Hell, a job that says two years minimum experience in a related field is bullshit already because where do you get experience in a related field in the first place that doesn't require minimum experience?

Of my three friends above, one is actually seriously considering going to Canada to look for work and may take one in Vancouver seeing he has not gotten a single job offer in the US for the last 8 months.

Maybe I should take my sister's advice-- Lie on my resume and job application. Don't put down I graduated college. Put down fake jobs because supposedly majority of employers don't call the other employers for reference. And, that your highest math was Algebra II and Trigonometry and not AP Calculus AB.​
On-topic:
I'd definitely watch this.​

great movie to see all the weirdos around america.

some people are humorous though, like that dude who said he'd give free lodging in his van if you play with his cock.

Maybe I should take my sister's advice-- Lie on my resume and job application. Don't put down I graduated college. Put down fake jobs because supposedly majority of employers don't call the other employers for reference. And, that your highest math was Algebra II and Trigonometry and not AP Calculus AB.

Don't forget to redo your Facebook page and give employers your password.:)

Edit: forgot quota tag.

Maybe I should take my sister's advice-- Lie on my resume and job application. Don't put down I graduated college. Put down fake jobs because supposedly majority of employers don't call the other employers for reference. And, that your highest math was Algebra II and Trigonometry and not AP Calculus AB.

Don't forget to redo your Facebook page and give employers your password.

I don't get what makes some of you who only come into these news posts and somehow make this into a "Don't vote for Obama" or "This looks like hippy crap." No one thinks your smart with those comments. This isn't YouTube or Facebook.

The movie looks good. The guy isn't "mooching." In fact, if you even watched the video - you would see he takes a look at the ads on Facebook and helps out people who need help to get some money to spend on food or whatever. Why spin it and make it sound like he is a hippy or that he is living off of people's well being?

Don't vote Obama next time....

I don't know why anyone blames Obama for anything.

First of all, all this economic mess was created by George Bush. The man started a train wreck that cannot be stopped. No person on earth could stop his mess.

Secondly, it's the corporations. Bush worked with a lot of companies, and a lot of those companies work with Obama as well. Did we ever find those WMDs? In that process though we got this nation into debt, yet somehow the oil companies are breaking record profits ever since.

I would have loved to see Ron Paul run for president, but we have Mitt Romney instead. That guy seems like Bush 2.0. So yea, I'm voting for Obama because it can always get worse.

All you people that cannot find a job - move to Nebraska. Unemployment here is less than 3%. Employers are competing for new hires. The economy is booming in Omaha. If you can't find work - move. I work 7 days a week 10 hour days. The specific building I work in at my company is back ordered 16 weeks - and we are a manufacturer. We will be working overtime until December - at the very least.

:rolleyes:

And you can shut right the FUCK UP with this partisan lazy minded "I've drank the kool-aide happily because I'm a non thinking simpleton" bullshit. The political / corporate church of FUCK YOU, GOT MINE and the capitol hill lackeys that have helped the oligarchs loot our fucking country are the REAL reason shit sucks...

Ah...no. Companies provide exactly what consumers want, that's how they stay alive.

The common American wants the absolute cheapest item that satisfies their needs. Companies MUST outsource, and MUST use foreign labor to get that done.

Don't be angry with companies, be angry with consumers.

I don't know why anyone blames Obama for anything.

First of all, all this economic mess was created by George Bush. The man started a train wreck that cannot be stopped. No person on earth could stop his mess.

Secondly, it's the corporations. Bush worked with a lot of companies, and a lot of those companies work with Obama as well. Did we ever find those WMDs? In that process though we got this nation into debt, yet somehow the oil companies are breaking record profits ever since.

I would have loved to see Ron Paul run for president, but we have Mitt Romney instead. That guy seems like Bush 2.0. So yea, I'm voting for Obama because it can always get worse.

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah...no. Companies provide exactly what consumers want, that's how they stay alive.

The common American wants the absolute cheapest item that satisfies their needs. Companies MUST outsource, and MUST use foreign labor to get that done.

Don't be angry with companies, be angry with consumers.

Eh? I don't think he was talking about those types of companies. I think he was referring to the ones that were directly involved in bringing down the house, and continue to spend countless cash to lobby for their own agenda against what the common people want. You see, when you have endless cash, it's easy to drown out people.

I suggest you research:
- Lehman Brothers
- AIG
- Most investment banks that openly knew their high risk shell game could cause a major disturbance but continued to do it anyways.
- Enron (besides playing a lovely shell game, these fucks lobbied for deregulation and when they got it, they intentionally shut down power plants in California to drive up the cost of electricity on citizens) .. oh and they have direct ties to the Bush family.

It's all fine to live in the pure-Republican ideal of "deregulation will solve everything" but in a truly free market, greed will own and the consumer/citizen will lose.

I could really go on.

BTW, I'd be willing to bet that Romney has a snowballs chance in hell. He's the poster board of what most Americans hate right now. A classical example of the "1%" that is talked about. Again, just like with Kerry, the second party will go with an opposing candidate that has zero appeal to people.

And besides, we have known since the dawn of society that people can contribute nothing and live purely off the charity of others, the only thing new about this is that he's using the web to leech.

Yikes. Clearly he was also trying to demonstrate that people are still kind and that kind communities still exist. His film is the counter-argument to the idea that technology has removed some of those aspects of American society. The fact that it appeared that he achieved his goals is a tribute to the idea that Americans can still support and take care of one another, whether charitably or out of genuine desire.

It's all fine to live in the pure-Republican ideal of "deregulation will solve everything" but in a truly free market, greed will own and the consumer/citizen will lose.

Given that a truly free market has never existed yet, what empirical evidence do you have to backup this opinion?

Eh? I don't think he was talking about those types of companies. I think he was referring to the ones that were directly involved in bringing down the house...

You are correct, I should have been a bit clearer with that statement.

I think this is about a movie/documentary not politics...

Obviously the guy making said film has never heard of CouchSurfing....

Why the attitude? You act like you are better than anyone else but you are only 26 yet mad because you haven't found a job in a few months. Start asking the more important question: Why did you lose the last 3 manager jobs you had?

Given that a truly free market has never existed yet, what empirical evidence do you have to backup this opinion?

Do you see any of the opinions in this thread linking to empirical evidence?

:rolleyes:

And you can shut right the FUCK UP with this partisan lazy minded "I've drank the kool-aide happily because I'm a non thinking simpleton" bullshit. The political / corporate church of FUCK YOU, GOT MINE and the capitol hill lackeys that have helped the oligarchs loot our fucking country are the REAL reason shit sucks...

That's an awesome koskids screed. Got more? umadbro?

Back