New 7850 constant Underscan on boot.

PinchedNerve

Limp Gawd
Hello.

I just received my 7850 today & after install I was greeted with 1080p underscan. Well it took me a while & I figured out how to get that fixed but every time I reboot its back to being under scanned & I have to open up CCC, move the slider one step left & then back to 0% to fix the issue.

How can I prevent from having to fix this every boot?

Btw, this is Cat 12.7. Coming from Team Green. Last AMD card was a couple years ago with a 4870 I think it was.

Thanks for any help.

P.S. I did click "apply" when I set 0% underscan but as I said before, every reboot it comes back.

I've got a similar setup that needs the bar to be slid towards overscan, but I'm on a 4890 with a likely driver.

In my setup it remembers it on resume/reboot. There is a checkbox on that page that says "Use the scaling values instead of the..." On my settings it is checked, not sure if that would change anything, but it may be worth a shot. Sadly I have no other ideas.

Do you use a TV, or hdmi receiver with your setup? I had issues with that, and I believe it's the EDID info that does it.

Do you use a TV, or hdmi receiver with your setup? I had issues with that, and I believe it's the EDID info that does it.

Just HDMI to my Asus VE278Q.

Update.

Bought a new HDMI cable. Now when I boot up the image is still under scanned but if I don't do anything for say 15 seconds after boot, the image will fill the screen. Is this how it works for other people? Not sure the new HDMI was the difference because I don't think I sat & waited with the old HDMI cable.

I had a similar issue with my 7950 a while ago. Not using HDMI is what fixed it for me... but I suppose that is your only option?

Not my only option. I have Displayport & can't seem to find a local store with a Displayport cable for sale, let alone a mini to standard (looked yesterday), or DVI. I really do not want to use DVI since the cable is much bigger. I prefer smaller cables when possible & swapping cables is a hassle when this really shouldn't be an issue to begin with.

Edit: DVI has no issue on boot. Sigh.

Last edited:
Its a bug with HDMI

Heres the fix ( from http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=62100&page=2)

Just be careful when mucking with the registry

Originally Posted by thatdude90210
I've seen that on one of my computers that's connect to a monitor that only has HDMI input. Set it right and it would revert after reboot or from hibernating. I found a fix somewhere by googling sometime back.

Go to the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\video{####....}\0000

Create a new DWORD:

"DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan" = dword 0x0000

Note: there might be several {####....} , should be the one with most of the ATI settings.

Same thing happens to me with my 5870. Started happening after updating to 12.7. Also tried 12.6 and the same issue occurs. The prior drivers didn't have this problem. If I had the money to change back to NVIDIA now I'd do it because this is the most annoying issue since I turn off my computer when I'm not using it.

HDMI is such a terrible standard... just older a DisplayPort cable from Monoprice. Then it won't break again when you update drivers.

Back