Your Tax Dollars At Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardOCP News

[H] News
Attention taxpayers, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration would like you to know that, after years of exhaustive research, no evidence of mermaids has ever been found. Thanks to [H] reader Philip M. for the link to the laugh.

But are mermaids real? No evidence of aquatic humanoids has ever been found. Why, then, do they occupy the collective unconscious of nearly all seafaring peoples? That’s a question best left to historians, philosophers, and anthropologists.

What a terribly uninformative title, Steve. For shame. ;)

But yes, clearly we needed "years of exhaustive research" to tackle this extremely important and worthwhile endeavor. :rolleyes:

there was a show on history or something about mermaids they took it so very serious. it was petty comical. it reminded me of the ancient aliens. cant explain something. the next logical step is to jump to the most absurd conclusion.

What about Dragons?.....Its possible, between the time Dinosaurs evolved into birds........

there was a show on history or something about mermaids they took it so very serious. it was petty comical. it reminded me of the ancient aliens. cant explain something. the next logical step is to jump to the most absurd conclusion.

History Channel, TLC, Discovery...etc all became crap the day they started airing "reality" shows and "what if" shows. Makes me hate TV now. There was a time when documentaries reigned supreme and I could watch them for hours, now its just the same crap over and over again.
:mad:

Well, for one the article just says they've never found evidence of mermaids...not that they've been spending millions on the sole purpose of finding them...in fact, they've probably never spent a penny on looking for mermaids.

Secondly...I'd rather my tax money go towards them then the military. At least here we have an institution that actually explores and does some good towards the mysteries of the ocean instead of blowing innocent people up and melting the faces off of little infants sleeping in bed at 3AM in the morning.

Well, for one the article just says they've never found evidence of mermaids...not that they've been spending millions on the sole purpose of finding them...in fact, they've probably never spent a penny on looking for mermaids.

Secondly...I'd rather my tax money go towards them then the military. At least here we have an institution that actually explores and does some good towards the mysteries of the ocean instead of blowing innocent people up and melting the faces off of little infants sleeping in bed at 3AM in the morning.

Yeah, because if we didn't develop the means to protect ourselves and continue our establishment as a world super-power, no one would be constantly attacking us at all...please.

I had an argument with my teacher in like 2nd grade that mermaids was real because I saw it with a picture in the dictionary in front of the class...

Then i found out it was the encyclopedia that had all the facts you cant argue in it....

Yeah, because if we didn't develop the means to protect ourselves and continue our establishment as a world super-power, no one would be constantly attacking us at all...please.

Good God man! Educate yourself on these matters.

The "terrorists" hate us because we've been blowing up their country for the last 20 some odd years. Wouldn't you hate America too if they killed your family and neighbors? Of course you would.

America creates its own enemies. If we had never gone to the Middle East then we wouldn't have problems with them. Does China have problems with the Taliban? What about Russia? What about Germany? WHAT ABOUT ANY COUNTRY THAT ISN'T THERE KILLING THEM?! Exactly.

People are constantly attacking us because we're constantly attacking them. How many soldiers do you think would die if we left the Middle East?

Again, learn some facts and get your head out of Uncle Sams ass...please.

Sorry for going off topic! I just read what people like DejaWiz spew out of ignorance and uneducated thoughts and I have to say something.

Its what makes me a Patriot! :)

...blowing innocent people up and melting the faces off of little infants sleeping in bed at 3AM in the morning.

I think this is THE MOST ignorant comment I have ever read. I guess you don't follow the news that isn't shown to the SHEEP-le via cable TV? As the United States traveled to Baghdad for liberation, they were handing out candy, coloring books, and toys to the kids of the nation. Have you seen the countless number of articles and stories of soldiers risking their lives to save foreign national children and provide them with happiness? How about the billions upon billions spent on humanitarian aid and the countless number of soldiers/engineers sent solely for the well being of the nationals of the countries we are in? Read this and educate yourself about a father who sacrificed himself for a complete stranger. Do casualties happen? Yes, and guess what, they happen in the United States as well from day to day activities. But I can say from experience that the soldiers are doing their damn best to prevent them. Of course there are some outliers like Jeremy Morlock heading up the "2nd Infantry Division Kill Squads," but outliers exist in every organization.

If you aren't trolling, I truly pity you and pray that you find enough $$$ somehow for a one-way ticket out of this great nation protected by selfless professionals.

I think this is THE MOST ignorant comment I have ever read. I guess you don't follow the news that isn't shown to the SHEEP-le via cable TV? As the United States traveled to Baghdad for liberation, they were handing out candy, coloring books, and toys to the kids of the nation. Have you seen the countless number of articles and stories of soldiers risking their lives to save foreign national children and provide them with happiness? How about the billions upon billions spent on humanitarian aid and the countless number of soldiers/engineers sent solely for the well being of the nationals of the countries we are in? Read this and educate yourself about a father who sacrificed himself for a complete stranger. Do casualties happen? Yes, and guess what, they happen in the United States as well from day to day activities. But I can say from experience that the soldiers are doing their damn best to prevent them. Of course there are some outliers like Jeremy Morlock heading up the "2nd Infantry Division Kill Squads," but outliers exist in every organization.

If you aren't trolling, I truly pity you and pray that you find enough $$$ somehow for a one-way ticket out of this great nation protected by selfless professionals.

I'm not going to argue with your points as they ARE valid...but why are we spending all this money on them when we have so so SO many issues in our OWN country?

Not to mention the fact that most of the help we provide over there is again from our own evil doings...helping rebuild towns? Great! Except we were the ones that blew them up. Helping to provide medical and food aid? Great! Except most injuries are probably, again, our doing...not only that but WE NEED MEDICAL AND FOOD AID ALL ACROSS OUR OWN COUNTRY!

Not to mention the fact that if we got our asses out of there and stopped letting all the oil be controlled by our people and instead let that money go towards these Middle Eastern countries they'd be 1000x better off not needing any assistance from us as they'd have their own damn money. That is if they could vote for their own leaders instead of ones the we purposely put in place so that The Great Empire of America can continue on its evil path.

Granted all of this is in a very broad sense, but the truth still holds.

We are over there for political gains and that is all. All the little niceties we provide over there are all a cover in "please take this candy bar and coloring book and forget that we destroyed your house!"...not to mention that, AGAIN, I'm sure there are PLENTY of kids in this country that would love to get half the shit kids in the Middle East are getting.

I mean, really man, you can't be that blind to all of this. Yes you do make some good points, but how about you look at the reasons BEHIND what it is we're doing.

What you said reminds me of that picture that was floating around a while back depicting a soldier giving some refugee or something some water and seemed all nice and heart warming only for the real image to come out showing the same thing except on the left half of the picture theres a soldier holding a rifle right against the mans head. Of course that part was cropped out!...

Thanks for the derp. Hey, you see me rubbing my index finger against my thumb? That's the worlds smallest violin I'm playing right now as giant crocodile tears flow from my eyes. Lol.

n

But they do have mouths. Win win for us with a dependage appendage....[

In movies, they're typically hostile and have razor-sharp teeth. If we encounter a mermaid, I'll let you have the victory. I'll stay on the boat.

I'm sorry, but the problem is not the misguided, if noble, intentions of some soldiers serving abroad, it's the fact that they're being sent there to service the interests of aristocrats, imperialism hasn't changed since the 15th century, just empires replacing eachother in a constant power struggle, with citizens as peons on the chessboard.

We should bring those troops home and defend our borders, our presence in foreign colonies is not helpful to anyone but the ruling entities involved, however one wishes to define them.

How the flocking, sporking hell did POLITICS get into a discussion about MERMAIDS? Keep that crap out of threads like this! :mad:

How the flocking, sporking hell did POLITICS get into a discussion about MERMAIDS? Keep that crap out of threads like this! :mad:

It's an election year, silly. Everything is about politics, at least in the states...even though no one will actually vote...just complain...not that I blame them since we're spoon-fed candidates and are left to try to pick the ones we think will do the least amount of damage while in office...

Hehe, I are tricks you into reading moar politics!

You sound pretty serious. Brainwashed much?

The title of the article is "Your Tax Dollars At Work"

Steve brought politics into it right from the beginning with a (completely irrelevant) incendiary comment about wasting taxes. I think this would be a case of Steve trolling the commenters.

The title of the article is "Your Tax Dollars At Work"

Steve brought politics into it right from the beginning with a (completely irrelevant) incendiary comment about wasting taxes. I think this would be a case of Steve trolling the commenters.

Pretty much.

Anything with science that Steve doesn't like and taxes gets the backhanded treatment. That and things that relate to women. It's kind of gross sometimes.

Flocking? Sporking? Come on bud, say what you really wanna say, and next time use an even bigger and redder font so we know you're really angry and fed up!!

LIKE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back