Zuckerberg Is A Bad Role Model For Aspiring Tech Execs

HardOCP News

[H] News
Did you know that dropping out of school isn't the best way to become a multi-billionaire? Whodathunkit?

The myth of the brilliant Ivy League student who starts a business in his dorm room, drops out of school, and goes on to run a successful high-tech start-up for many decades to come is essentially just that: a myth. Despite a few high-profile exceptions - such as Mark Zuckerberg and Bill Gates - the vast majority of CEOs running successful U.S. high -tech firms have college degrees, and more than half have at least one graduate degree.

Yes, but opening a new revolution in the market/economy is what turns you from nothing to a billionaire the quickest. Is it safe? Fuck no, that's why opening a business is hard as shit. He makes it look easy. But why is that?

SIMPLE MORONS: You see the people who SUCCEED. You DON'T see the people who fail because they aren't on TV. They aren't with the media. They aren't living in a mansion. They are failing. You don't want to be a failure, so the human brain doesn't even consider the process of it.

I like the show Shark Tank :p People should watch that more often. Some people come in with innovative ideas and the sharks bite all over. Then some mother who bakes cookies comes in and they call her a retard.

What's wrong with cookies dork?!

Uhhhh as far as innovative ideas, goodluck in making a corporation out of it - living off of it - taking it off - marketing it... I can go on and on and on. You're trying to make an innovative idea out of something that has been stomped on and beaten by corporations. It's like trying to compete with Walmart, you're a moron if you try without some kind of differentiation.

Aren't most of the billionaires today in the tech sector not college educated? Gates, Jobs, I think Ballmer and maybe Wozniak as well (though I'm not sure about Wozniak).

Aren't most of the billionaires today in the tech sector not college educated? Gates, Jobs, I think Ballmer and maybe Wozniak as well (though I'm not sure about Wozniak).

Isn't that Jobs guy like not alive anymore so he can't be a present tense bajillionaire?

Isn't that Jobs guy like not alive anymore so he can't be a present tense bajillionaire?

I know right? It seems like a sales pitch. Go to school, become a CEO. Just because intelligent and successful people often went to school, it doesn't mean the school in itself created some type of person.

People are idiots with statistics and often report common fallacies. If 3 in 4 gay people are left handed, does it mean 3 in 4 left handed people are gay?

I guess IQ, opportunity, drive, ambition, money, support, family, race, place of birth, timing, creativity and market conditions aren't factors at all at determining success.

True that! Only drop out of Harvard if you steal an idea from a couple of guys twice your height.

Ive been wearing nothing but hoodies all this time for nothing? I have to drop out of Harvard too? What a pain.

If you want to be an employee, then a degree really counts.

If you want to be an entrepreneur, then a degree means nothing since it is nothing you couldn't have learned without reading a few books. Degrees are over rated but they really help on a resume.

This reads like the following:

"Ignore the success stories, keep taking out student loans kthnx".

Yes, but opening a new revolution in the market/economy is what turns you from nothing to a billionaire the quickest. Is it safe? Fuck no, that's why opening a business is hard as shit. He makes it look easy. But why is that?

SIMPLE MORONS: You see the people who SUCCEED. You DON'T see the people who fail because they aren't on TV. They aren't with the media. They aren't living in a mansion. They are failing. You don't want to be a failure, so the human brain doesn't even consider the process of it.

I like the show Shark Tank :p People should watch that more often. Some people come in with innovative ideas and the sharks bite all over. Then some mother who bakes cookies comes in and they call her a retard.

A+++++++ post, would read again.

P.S. Thanks for reminding me to set Shark Tank back on my new TiVo Premiere Elite XL4 :D.

I know right? It seems like a sales pitch. Go to school, become a CEO. Just because intelligent and successful people often went to school, it doesn't mean the school in itself created some type of person.

People are idiots with statistics and often report common fallacies. If 3 in 4 gay people are left handed, does it mean 3 in 4 left handed people are gay?

I guess IQ, opportunity, drive, ambition, money, support, family, race, place of birth, timing, creativity and market conditions aren't factors at all at determining success.

Nope, clearly everyone's a winner! /joking

The article is complete bullshit. If you want to be a rich CEO, you have two choices:

1. Be from a rich family and go to elite colleges and be put in high places.
2. Be from an average family, be smart, do your own thing and get lucky. College is optional but not important if you can strike it rich before graduating.

The fact is, if you are a normal guy, from a normal income family, and you get a college degree, there is no way in hell you will ever become a rich CEO unless you get lucky, and the college degree still makes no difference.

In fact, the only garenteed thing a college degree gets you is a student loan to repay. It does NOT increase your chance of getting a job (unless you want to work retail, like managing a Pizza Hut or Burger King (only after working for minimum wage for two years flipping burgers)

Here is the Forbes list of the worlds richest people:

No College:
William Gates III
Lawrence Ellison
Eike Batista
Amancio Ortega
Karl Albrecht
Ingvar Kamprad

College:
Carlos Slim Helu
Warren Buffett
Mukesh Ambani
Lakshmi Mittal
Bernard Arnault
Stefan Persson

Note: None of the above have a PHD or Masters degree.

Of, of that list, you can almost move Mukesh Ambani to the 'no college' list, since he graduated from the Mumbai University, which is the same thing as High School plus 2 years of technical college in the US (It is the standard degree rich Indians get by simply completing the required government schooling).

BTW: The non-college list just recently lost one person when Steve Jobs died...

If you want to be an entrepreneur, then a degree means nothing since it is nothing you couldn't have learned without reading a few books. Degrees are over rated but they really help on a resume.

Yep, accurate assessment right there.

The article is complete bullshit. If you want to be a rich CEO, you have two choices:

1. Be from a rich family and go to elite colleges and be put in high places.
2. Be from an average family, be smart, do your own thing and get lucky. College is optional but not important if you can strike it rich before graduating.

People form humble beginnings can become a CEO (or get rich in banking, consulting, law, medicine, or private equity). Yes, what university you go to matters, but what doesn't matter is how rich your parents are.

Correct-ish if your business is based entirely in software. Incorrect for everything else.

People form humble beginnings can become a CEO (or get rich in banking, consulting, law, medicine, or private equity). Yes, what university you go to matters, but what doesn't matter is how rich your parents are.

Actually, having rich parents helps a lot. Sucks, but its true.

Back