Nvidia 304.79 Beta Driver Release

hammerforged

[H]ard|Gawd
Win 7 32-bit

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windo...top-win8-win7-winvista-32bit-english-beta.exe

Win 7 64-bit

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windo...top-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-english-beta.exe

Release Notes:

http://guru3d.com/news/nvidia-geforce-30479-beta-download-/

Adds support for NVIDIA TXAA

NVIDIA TXAA is new film-style anti-aliasing technique designed specifically to reduce temporal aliasing (crawling and flickering in motion) through a combination of hardware AA, custom CG film style AA resolve, and a temporal filter. The Secret World is the first game to support TXAA (support will be enabled in an upcoming patch). TXAA is supported on GeForce GTX 600-series Kepler-based GPUs.

New SLI Support - Adds or updates the following SLI profiles:

The Secret World - added
End of Nations - added
Nexuiz (also provided earlier via NVIDIA Update)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Future Soldier (also provided earlier via NVIDIA Update)
Tornado Force - added
Tribes: Ascend - updated

Key Fixes

Fixed a compatibility issue with Civilization V and GeForce 400/500 series GPUs
Fixed instances of flickering or missing mouse cursor when hardware cursor is enabled (reported with Aion, World of Warcraft, Eve Online and
others).
Fixed instances of very low frame rates in Deus Ex: Human Revolution (DX11).
Fixed an issue that caused a PC reboot instead of a PC shut down.
Fixed an issue that led to a black screen after driver installation.
Power management mode settings now persist across driver over installs.

GeForce GTX 680:

Up to 18% in Batman: Arkham City
Up to 15% in Dragon Age II
Up to 10% in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
Up to 60% in Total War: Shogun 2 (fixes performance issue with latest game patch)

GeForce GTX 560:

Up to 14% in Batman: Arkham City
Up to 5% in Battlefield 3 with SLI
Up to 4% in Dragon Age II
Up to 8% in The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings with SLI
Up to 7% in Lost Planet 2

Key Fixes

Fixes an intermittent vsync stuttering issue with GeForce GTX 600-series GPUs.
Fixes an issue where some manufacturer's factory overclocked cards default to and run at lower clocks.
Fixes a performance issue in Total War: Shogun 2 with the latest game patch.

NVIDIA SLI Technology – Adds or updates the following SLI profiles:

Spec Ops: The Line
PlanetSide 2
F1 2011 – updated profile
Final Fantasy XIV – updated profile
Saints Row: The Third – updated profile
Torchlight II
Tribes: Ascend

NVIDIA 3D Vision – Adds or updates the following 3D Vision profiles:

Alan Wake's American Nightmare – rated Poor
Borderlands 2 – updated profile with new convergence settings
Depth Hunter – updated rating to 3D Vision Ready
Mass Effect 3 – updated in-game compatibility message and profile to be more compatible with community 3D mods
Max Payne 3 – updated rating to Excellent and updated in-game compatibility message to inform users to use DirectX 11, disable MSAA and use SSA0.
Street Fighter X Tekken – rated 3D Vision Ready
Tiger Woods PGA 12: The Masters – rated Good
Tribes: Ascend – rated Fair
The Walking Dead – rating Good

Other Profile Updates

Added NVIDIA Control Panel antialiasing support for Diablo III
Added NVIDIA Control Panel antialiasing support for L.A. Noire
Added NVIDIA Control Panel antialiasing support for Rayman Origins
Added NVIDIA Control Panel antialiasing support The Secret World
Added NVIDIA Control Panel ambient occlusion support for Star Wars: The Old Republic
Disabled FXAA for several Windows programs like Media Player and Movie Maker.

NVIDIA Surround

Surround settings now persisted after new driver overinstall.

NVIDIA CUDA

Includes support for applications built using CUDA 5 Preview or earlier version of the CUDA Toolkit. More information at http://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-toolkit

Additional Details

Installs PhysX System Software v9.12.0604.
Installs HD Audio v1.3.17.0.
Supports OpenGL 4.2
Supports DisplayPort 1.2 for GeForce GTX 600 series GPUs.
Supports multiple languages and APIs for GPU computing: CUDA C, CUDA C++, CUDA Fortran, OpenCL, DirectCompute, and Microsoft C++ AMP.
Supports single GPU and NVIDIA SLI technology on DirectX 9, DirectX 10, DirectX 11, and OpenGL, including 3-way SLI, Quad SLI, and SLI support on SLI-certified Intel and AMD motherboards.

Last edited:
60% in TW: Shogun 2? May have to give them a try.

Question: I got the Total War package from Steam, do they update the game automatically or do I need to manually patch them?

Why are they always mentioning the GTX 560 but never the GTX 570 :(

Nice, finally this TXAA they were touting at launch.

Kinda sucks that the game has to support it and it can't be enabled in drivers, though. Plus, being 600-series nVidia specific, I wonder how many games will actually take advantage of it.

60% in TW: Shogun 2? May have to give them a try.

Question: I got the Total War package from Steam, do they update the game automatically or do I need to manually patch them?

Steam always updates your game. You're fine.

Nice, finally this TXAA they were touting at launch.

Kinda sucks that the game has to support it and it can't be enabled in drivers, though. Plus, being 600-series nVidia specific, I wonder how many games will actually take advantage of it.

Probably going to be a slow start just like FXAA. Unless they can find a way to force it in all games like FXAA, it will take a while for developers to start using it widely and rightfully so, there's been so many different type of AA over the years that I can see not wanting to tie up too many resources on the latest and greatest form of AA when it may be gone next year and replaced with something else.

Probably going to be a slow start just like FXAA. Unless they can find a way to force it in all games like FXAA, it will take a while for developers to start using it widely and rightfully so, there's been so many different type of AA over the years that I can see not wanting to tie up too many resources on the latest and greatest form of AA when it may be gone next year and replaced with something else.

The problem is that this, unlike FXAA, does not appear to work on all cards. However, we might be able to hope for an injector eventually...but maybe not even that.

Here's a blog post from Timothy Lottes (dev for FXAA) about TXAA:

http://timothylottes.blogspot.com/2012/07/txaa-out-30479-driver.html

FYI the performance increases are compared to the 301.42 WHQL driver, not the previous beta 304.48 (which have been working very well for me).

Alright, TXAA was added...but game developers need to enable it. Is there even a game out there right now that we can test it with?

Fixed an issue that caused a PC reboot instead of a PC shut down.

Thank F*CK they fixed that. It was bloody annoying.

Finally some drivers that work on my 650m (m14xR2). Installed without a modified inf file. I don't seem to have an adaptive vsync option in my control panel though...

Alright, TXAA was added...but game developers need to enable it. Is there even a game out there right now that we can test it with?

The Secret World will have it once they make it available again.

For some reason I apparently missed they totally disabled the option in settings in the last patch. I'd expect it to be back soon though now that the drivers to actually take advantage of it are out. They could just be patching some last minute things to optimize for it I guess.

Hmm I'm noticing a flash video hardware acceleration bug with this release. The video is flickering between frames of the video content and a blank green screen unless you go full screen, might be an SLI thing but I haven't bothered to check yet.

Ok yeah there's a lot more stuttering in games now and I just had Batman crash out pretty hard. Looks like i'll roll back to 304.48.

I had great results with this driver and my MSI Lightning 680s with BF3 MP (fwiw).

Running a GTX 580 with these drivers. No problems so far with any games. BF3 is playing normally as it should. So far so good.

Portal crashes if alt-tab out and back in (680, one screen.)

Witcher 2 still stutters badly with these just like 304.48 did despite higher fps than WHQL drivers. Using gtx 670

Witcher 2 still stutters badly with these just like 304.48 did despite higher fps than WHQL drivers. Using gtx 670

Does it stutter in general or in specific areas? For some reason the area outside Henselt's camp drops under 30fps when looking left coming out of the camp despite <50% gpu usage... dunno why. Do you get the same?

Does it stutter in general or in specific areas? For some reason the area outside Henselt's camp drops under 30fps when looking left coming out of the camp despite <50% gpu usage... dunno why. Do you get the same?

I'm just at the tutorial. The 301.42 don't stutter nearly as much i get frame rates in the 50s to 60s with some drops in the 40s. With the newer betas its pretty much always 60s and 70s but there's a noticeable stutter. Vsync on it's a little better but still very noticeable.

edit: maximum pre-rendered frames set to 1 made it a lot smoother now

Last edited:
I'm just at the tutorial. The 301.42 don't stutter nearly as much i get frame rates in the 50s to 60s with some drops in the 40s. With the newer betas its pretty much always 60s and 70s but there's a noticeable stutter. Vsync on it's a little better but still very noticeable.

edit: maximum pre-rendered frames set to 1 made it a lot smoother now

The tutorial area is notoriously poorly coded and laggy, the actual game runs a lot better. Btw what did you have pre-rendered frames set to before?

The tutorial area is notoriously poorly coded and laggy, the actual game runs a lot better. Btw what did you have pre-rendered frames set to before?

It was set to "Use 3d application setting" changing it to 1 made a big difference for me. I haven't gotten around to play the game yet but that stuttering just smacked me in the face when I switched to the betas.

Hmm I'm noticing a flash video hardware acceleration bug with this release. The video is flickering between frames of the video content and a blank green screen unless you go full screen, might be an SLI thing but I haven't bothered to check yet.

Yep, getting this too. For now I've disabled hardware acceleration in Flash.

Just ran into this myself. Good thing Netflix uses Silverlight or my son would throw a fit. :)

I just got a GTX 680 and getting really poor performance from it. Crysis 2 (DX11+hi res tex pack) runs 20-25 @ 1080. Something ain't right.

I get a lot of driver crashes/recoveries with these
"nvlddmkm has stopped responding"

Can't figure out if its my overclock or if the drivers are just unstable as is.

I get a lot of driver crashes/recoveries with these
"nvlddmkm has stopped responding"

Can't figure out if its my overclock or if the drivers are just unstable as is.

Probably your overclock. I was getting the same. It stopped when I changed my RAM back to 2T command rate, even though the manufacturer recommended 1T and claimed it would work with 16GB, which it obviously did not.

poor drivers. Max paybe 3 stuttery now, as is COD MW3 which NEVER was and so is BF3. Had a CTD in BF3 also. Tried reinstalling clean, there is something wrong with these drivers. Went back to 304.48 and everything is smoother / stable.

I just got a GTX 680 and getting really poor performance from it. Crysis 2 (DX11+hi res tex pack) runs 20-25 @ 1080. Something ain't right.

What detail settings? Maxed out, Crysis 2 with all those addons is actually pretty hard on a system.

Back