The UK Wants ISPs to Store All of Their Traffic Data

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If the British government has its way, all ISP’s will be required to route all data going through their servers to a government Black Box, which is in reality a data decrypter. Tin foil hats aside, this has really bad idea written all over it. Parliament has to approve the plan before any forward movement will take place. Let’s all hope the members of Parliament have more common sense than the ones hatching up this plan.

Pushing aside our inner-conspiracy theorist, the process has the potential to leave a lot of very sensitive data wide open to hackers, and that includes sensitive communications like your email.

First of all, a really really bad idea.
Second, who's going to pay for storing all the data? We're talking billions a year here.
Then there is the possibility of misuse of the data, who's looking out for the security of the private citizen?
Hackers anyone?
Did I mention this is a bad idea.

All those who proposed this should be named, ridiculed in public and summarily fired.

Any idea how much data would have to be stored? Any ideas to the cost of that?

If they do it it's a hackers paradise. There box is going to have attacks 24/7. Also reading the article what if you attack it with a massive DDOS attack? Shut the intenret down for them and cost millions in lost revenue

Sounds awesome!

Can someone invent low cost Terabyte wireless with a range 10 times that of Earth and give it to the public, Thanks in advance.

Regards Alpert.

Second, who's going to pay for storing all the data? We're talking billions a year here.
Then there is the possibility of misuse of the data, who's looking out for the security of the private citizen?
Hackers anyone?

Oh, don't worry, that data will never be compromised. You can trust that. ;)

Storage costs aside, I see this going to end up as a British version of the infamous "great firewall of china".

The "speed", and some of these other "concerns" can easily fixed by the ISPs mirroring the data to Big Brother, rather than routing it through the government.

So...what if people just started sending HUGE amounts of crap data, like a zip file with just a bunch of random 1's and 0's, and overload the system? I'd be willing to hit my max monthly data cap JUST to help crash such a horrible idea. lol

I'll bet anyone here a beer that "secret government black box" will be out of space (and full of pr0n) in a day.

Wonder how they are going to sift through my doubly encrypted sessions? Surfing over a scattered DTLS connection while using SSL. Short answer: they can't. So once again another government tries to do the impossible because they lack basic understanding of technology. Oh and even if they do manage to implement something even close to 1% of what they want, it will be extremely easy to DDoS it to death, oh and I would love to try.

Ha ha ha ha ha.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

OMFG how can somebody so stupid get elected?

Even Dan Quayle didn't have any ideas THAT stupid.

Oh wait, part B) of their plan:

Everybody has to go back to 14.4K modems...

That's how they can avoid "data overload" - they'll have 100 gigglyhurtz connections so they can suck up all your ASCI pr0nz and not even come close to saturation...

My guess: some goverment "expert" bought tons of WD/Seagate stocks and want to make fortune...

OMFG how can somebody so stupid get elected?

They didn't alone...they had to be joint elected with another group of people that no one really likes to beat out the last group of people...who no one really likes either.

Anyone really surprised? The NSA is going to be doing this by 2015. The NSA has already built the facility in the middle of nowhere to do it. They also said they want the ability to store something like 15 Yottabytes (really massive amount of data) at this facility.

Information control is the currency of the future.

One step closer to the Orwellian nightmare. We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness, my friends.

Some people might have to learn the hard way.

If the world turned out to be V for Vendetta, Gatacca, and/or Minority Report, I will truly say that the world has ended. It'd be the second worse ending for us than being destroyed by a meteor or by the hand of a supreme being.

Slow down people, this is just a few MP's trying to get ISP's to store IP addresses that customers are visiting.

This was on BBC Question time a few weeks ago. One member trying to promote and the other three and the host just shot it down as a waste of time - which it is. They said the people they're trying to target will easily evade it (they actually mentioned buying a simcard with cash, hotspots, encryption, even Tor routing). They all just made the guy look like a prat, it was entertaining.

This thing doesn't have a change in hell of getting passed through parliament. And for christ sake people, do you really think they can just plug a box in the will do real-time decryption? I'm disappointed in you.

Slow down people, this is just a few MP's trying to get ISP's to store IP addresses that customers are visiting.

This was on BBC Question time a few weeks ago. One member trying to promote and the other three and the host just shot it down as a waste of time - which it is. They said the people they're trying to target will easily evade it (they actually mentioned buying a simcard with cash, hotspots, encryption, even Tor routing). They all just made the guy look like a prat, it was entertaining.

This thing doesn't have a change in hell of getting passed through parliament. And for christ sake people, do you really think they can just plug a box in the will do real-time decryption? I'm disappointed in you.

Yep basically some techno-ignorant MP is approached by some tech company hoping to get it's nose into the Govt/PFI gravy train by pushing a daft idea under the guise of national security.

Happens all the while.

Anyone really surprised? The NSA is going to be doing this by 2015. The NSA has already built the facility in the middle of nowhere to do it. They also said they want the ability to store something like 15 Yottabytes (really massive amount of data) at this facility.

Information control is the currency of the future.

True, and I'd be willing to bet a beer that the NSA has their fingers in this as well. The NSA already has access to just about every bit that is transmitted in the US and MidEast.

All those who proposed this should be named, ridiculed in public and summarily fired.

You're talking about a country with millions of cameras watching everyone. I'm not surprised they're trying this, and it might work.

Britain has been thoroughly pussified. They took away all the guns, then they started on knives, then they started watching themselves buying groceries, and soon they will record everything they do online, all for "safety." And at the same time they wouldn't dare deport people who stand in their streets with signs saying "Death to Britain" and "Death to the Infidel" because THAT would be infringing on rights.

Hackers anyone?

Agreed.

Maybe Blighty doesn't want to get their information second hand from the CIA's black box program (it's been hooked into the telecommunications since 9/11), as that's how they caught a few people involved in the London bombings of '05...Wouldn't be surprised if terrorism or WMD phrases get thrown into the argument for some impact to their reasoning (like Blair and the intercontinental missiles Iraq supposedly had in '03 that they could launch within 40 minutes:rolleyes:).

Britain has been thoroughly pussified. They took away all the guns,

We never had the guns in the first place. So we didn't lose anything.

As the UK is a small country that the majority of the population had lived in more urban areas for a very long time, the need for firearms for the masses never happened or was needed. Most of the hunting land was owned by powerful lords etc. so the masses were never allowed to hunt there. No need for guns!

We also never had a pissed off indigenous population to fend off as we took over their land.

The guns that were banned a few years ago were handguns. It affected a very small minority of people. In fact I didn't know anyone that was affected by it. It was a small group of gun club folks and collectors. A tiny minority.

The ban came about after some nut job thought it would be a good idea to murder 16 young children. At that point the Govt. thought why exactly did people need such devices (they didnt really) and as our Govt. at the time wasn't under the control of unelected/undemocratic groups such as the NRA, it banned them.

We as the majority had no problem with that. Killing 5 year olds is considered quite anti-social and unnecessary in the UK.

As a UK citizen I can still own shotguns and hunting rifles. Just not handguns.

Its no hardship. After all I've reached the age of 41 and I do not know any friends or family that have been killed, wounded or threatened with firearms. I'm quite happy with that.

As for the need for guns to protect from home invasions? Well if my experience of staying with US families is anything to go by, I would recommend locking your f**king doors as a good first step rather than letting the guys just walk into your house at 3am and hoping you have your gun to hand.:rolleyes:

How did the bullshit with the cameras and all the sissy little weapons laws get passed?

Normally with key incidents playing a role in getting the law passed, like the guy who sniped a bunch of people in the town, and then blew his head off before the police assault team could get to him, and another guy with an assault weapon from WWII, I think they actually shot that guy.

The camera situation, well that was due to the amount of crap that happens in the main shopping areas like some of the main London streets are notorious around Christmas time, and then there are incidents like the taxi driver who got his throat cut by a f#@king psycho, he tried blaming a book for his actions before the video game excuse was fashionable, or the recent riots instead of sending some unlucky sod to take pictures of instigators, they can do it from the safety of a control room.

And at the same time they wouldn't dare deport people who stand in their streets with signs saying "Death to Britain" and "Death to the Infidel" because THAT would be infringing on rights.

Yes that a simple thing called "Freedom of Speech". Maybe you've heard of it? It's a normal thing in a civilised society.

Things like that have to apply to everyone whether you agree with what they say or not.

So...what if people just started sending HUGE amounts of crap data, like a zip file with just a bunch of random 1's and 0's, and overload the system? I'd be willing to hit my max monthly data cap JUST to help crash such a horrible idea. lol

I'd send the contents of my swap file from server to server multiple times per hour just to fill up their drives :)

We never had the guns in the first place. So we didn't lose anything.

As the UK is a small country that the majority of the population had lived in more urban areas for a very long time, the need for firearms for the masses never happened or was needed. Most of the hunting land was owned by powerful lords etc. so the masses were never allowed to hunt there. No need for guns!

We also never had a pissed off indigenous population to fend off as we took over their land.

The guns that were banned a few years ago were handguns. It affected a very small minority of people. In fact I didn't know anyone that was affected by it. It was a small group of gun club folks and collectors. A tiny minority.

The ban came about after some nut job thought it would be a good idea to murder 16 young children. At that point the Govt. thought why exactly did people need such devices (they didnt really) and as our Govt. at the time wasn't under the control of unelected/undemocratic groups such as the NRA, it banned them.

We as the majority had no problem with that. Killing 5 year olds is considered quite anti-social and unnecessary in the UK.

As a UK citizen I can still own shotguns and hunting rifles. Just not handguns.

Its no hardship. After all I've reached the age of 41 and I do not know any friends or family that have been killed, wounded or threatened with firearms. I'm quite happy with that.

As for the need for guns to protect from home invasions? Well if my experience of staying with US families is anything to go by, I would recommend locking your f**king doors as a good first step rather than letting the guys just walk into your house at 3am and hoping you have your gun to hand.:rolleyes:

Good for you, now, about that steak knife that you have with the sharp and pointy end. I don't think any reasonable person would need one of those, now would they....?

Oh dear, you picked up a brick and glanced at a window in a most hostile manner, Assault with a deadly weapon! All those CCTV camera's are there for YOUR protection, you don't have anything to hide do you? nothing at all? good, good! we'll just be putting one of those in your place of work, just in case someone else decides to lift a box of paper clips. nothing for you to worry about!

Personal freedom seems to be something you Brits really don't need much of to feel nice and safe. Low Gun crime rate? awesome! Violent crime rate? not so awesome. The UK has a violent crime rate of 2034 per 100,000 citizens. the worse rate in the EU, a higher rate than the US, with around 400 per 100,000.

Step out of your glass house before casting stones.

35n5uz4.png

Personal freedom seems to be something you Brits really don't need much of to feel nice and safe. Low Gun crime rate? awesome! Violent crime rate? not so awesome. The UK has a violent crime rate of 2034 per 100,000 citizens. the worse rate in the EU, a higher rate than the US, with around 400 per 100,000.

Care to provide source(s)?

Good for you, now, about that steak knife that you have with the sharp and pointy end. I don't think any reasonable person would need one of those, now would they....?

Oh dear, you picked up a brick and glanced at a window in a most hostile manner, Assault with a deadly weapon! All those CCTV camera's are there for YOUR protection, you don't have anything to hide do you? nothing at all? good, good! we'll just be putting one of those in your place of work, just in case someone else decides to lift a box of paper clips. nothing for you to worry about!

Sorry did I touch a nerve there?

Back