Wireless Emergency Alert System Goes Live

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
On Thursday, a new Wireless Emergency Alert system went into operation to warn of severe weather through wireless carriers. The program, a coordinated effort of the National Weather Service and FEMA, utilizes cell towers to get the messages out via text messages.

"They only are intended to be a bell ringer," Gerber said. "They're not intended to replace other sources of information. They're simply, 'Here's the action you need to take, and get additional information from other sources," such as a weather radio.

Hopefully cells will have the option to turn this feature off, don't really want this fear service.

FEMA?! Who let Walton Simons start making decisions? Doesn't anyone know that he only got his job because Bob Page of Page Industries and VersaLife manipulated people so he'd get appointed?

My alert system: Look outside. Is there a big ass storm cloud on the horizon? Yes, take action. No, continue whatever I was doing. Beyond that, something like a tornado warning, it's probably a little too late to do much but hide. People just need to be educated ahead of time on how to handle bad weather, not 10 minutes before something is about to kill you. This is why schools teach weather safety and do things like tornado drills.

My alert system: Look outside. Is there a big ass storm cloud on the horizon? Yes, take action. No, continue whatever I was doing. Beyond that, something like a tornado warning, it's probably a little too late to do much but hide. People just need to be educated ahead of time on how to handle bad weather, not 10 minutes before something is about to kill you. This is why schools teach weather safety and do things like tornado drills.

I guess I can walk down the street to get a view of the horizon since I can't see the horizon from my house.

I don't watch tv or listen to the radio either.

You can't turn off Presidential alerts...You will listen to Big Brother...
Its for your own good.

I hope this is removable in custom Android ROM's.

hardocpers are so hardcore they dont want to be warned about hail that could break their car windows, blizzards that could lock them in their homes, and tornadoes that could kill them. hardocpers are truly special individuals

could have used this today, what looked like a little thunder storm, tore through our cookout with golf ball sized hail and 40mph winds....

yup.. got a message today saying something like "flash flood possible" and also had a check box to turn it off.

Back