AMD Posts Catalyst 12.6 WHQL, 12.7 Beta

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
We told you last month that AMD will cease its regular monthly release schedule and only release when the development was complete. AMD has announced the first of these this week with the release of AMD Catalyst™ 12.6 (WHQL) and AMD Catalyst™ 12.7 (Beta) drivers.

The truth is that our new driver cadence—releasing drivers as needed—gives us tremendous flexibility to provide releases that are worth upgrading to.

LOL! Releasing drivers when needed and when development is complete. Who would have ever thought of that?

Well 12.6 whql and beta 12.7 are terrible on my crossfire setup and I have reverted back to June 4th beta....Hmm AMD, I would say another new driver release is def "NEEDED!"

12.6 and 12.7 work fine on my setup. I've only run D3 with 12.7, but 12.6 was just peachy for everthing.

Been having an issue with the 12.6 and 12.7 drivers with the HDMI overscan setting resetting to its default This problem keeps popping back up every now and then before getting fixed yet again. This has to be about the 3rd time its happened. Getting rather annoying now..

Aren't you glad you'll have to wait for few months for a fix for that? Isn't this "only update drivers when enough changes can be made to make it worth while" approach without flaw?

Yea...

Yea, if I wanted this approach I would of got a Nvidia card... the regular monthly driver updates even if small and sometimes funky, set them apart from their competitor and is one of the reason I chose the 5870. But this wont be the case anymore tho. If driver quality doesn't improve I'll probably end up going back to Nvidia for my next upgrade.

Been having an issue with the 12.6 and 12.7 drivers with the HDMI overscan setting resetting to its default This problem keeps popping back up every now and then before getting fixed yet again. This has to be about the 3rd time its happened. Getting rather annoying now..

I had to used the registry fix for 12.6 on my wife's PC. I was a bit irritated with it until I learned what needed a good swift kick.

Yea, if I wanted this approach I would of got a Nvidia card... the regular monthly driver updates even if small and sometimes funky, set them apart from their competitor and is one of the reason I chose the 5870. But this wont be the case anymore tho. If driver quality doesn't improve I'll probably end up going back to Nvidia for my next upgrade.

I think it's too early to make a call on the new 'strategy'. I'm giving it 6 months before deciding what was better.

As far as NVIDIA, yeah, they are on top of things much more than ATI is and I like that. But they also killed my perfectly working (back then) 8800GTS512 with a driver that messed up fan control. That bug ended up causing a lot of dead hardware. So they are very, very far from perfect.

AMD is at least consistently stupid. When nvidia fucks up it tends to much more severe.

On that note I'm glad to be back with nvidia (GTX670) even if my last experience with them was one of the worst I've ever had with drivers (8800GT).

Back