Seagate And DensBits Announce Strategic Agreement For SSDs

HardOCP News

[H] News
Seagate Technology, the worldwide leader in hard disk drives and storage solutions, and DensBits Technologies Ltd (“DensBits”) the inventor of the world's first Memory ModemTM have announced today a strategic agreement for the development of low-cost, high-performance Solid State Drives (“SSD”) for the consumer and enterprise markets. In conjunction with the agreement, Seagate has made an undisclosed equity investment in DensBits.

I never cease to be amused by the fact that when it comes to press releases, EVERY company proclaims themselves as the leader of their industry :p

It's like the "everyone gets a trophy" of the business world...

Who still even makes hard drives? Aren't there only a few companies that actually produce them? Being a leader in an industry of four manufacturers is almost as silly as Intel saying that they're number one in x86.

Seeing as its Seagate and its new technology, itll have a 1 hour warranty?

Zarathustra[H];1038885283 said:
I never cease to be amused by the fact that when it comes to press releases, EVERY company proclaims themselves as the leader of their industry :p

It's like the "everyone gets a trophy" of the business world...
LOL, I'd like to see one press release claiming to the worst in their industry, even if it's just a "The Onion" press release. :D

LOL, I'd like to see one press release claiming to the worst in their industry, even if it's just a "The Onion" press release. :D

If I was making a press release, I'd do it! Then again, it wouldn't be true because my company is an industry leader in its market.

Who still even makes hard drives? Aren't there only a few companies that actually produce them? Being a leader in an industry of four manufacturers is almost as silly as Intel saying that they're number one in x86.

It's largely down to Seagate (who swallowed Maxtor, Conner and Samsung), Western Digital (They acquired Hitachi/IBM) and Toshiba now.

This is anything but a scientific bit of research here...

But I went to Newegg.com, search for "1TB SATA" under Hard Drives. I ignored adapters and NAS devices that didn't indicate which brand of drive was in them (like Buffalo)... Bare drive with or without caddy or GTFO, basically. I tallied which brands showed up.

Seagate: 17. Includes Samsung. As well as "Lenovo" branded drives which clearly have the Seagate logo on them.

Western Digital: 18. Includes HGST ("A Western Digital Company") and HP drives. (All HP drives listed were Western Digital parts)

Toshiba: One. Just one.

Other: iOmega. "User-Swappable hard drive for ix4-200d NAS Server 4TB Series", no product image so I couldn't tell you if it's a Seagate or Western Digital drive in there.

Three brands. With two making up over 90% of the market.

Sounds about right.

Unfortunately, it's the shit brands. :(

You ain't kidding. I rushed out to buy a Samsung drive when I heard rumours that Seagate was buying them out just so I could make sure I had an actual non-Seagate manufactured drive as a backup for my mirroring backup setup. I hope I won't have to replace it for quite some time.

I miss the Quantum Bigfoot. I felt like my computer was a walking paranormal conspiracy theory in action with one of those inside it. :) Who bought Quantum anyhow?

I miss the Quantum Bigfoot. I felt like my computer was a walking paranormal conspiracy theory in action with one of those inside it. :) Who bought Quantum anyhow?

Quantum is a Seagate line of drives? Or Samsung...Seagate has Barracuda? I don't know...

Quantum is a Seagate line of drives? Or Samsung...Seagate has Barracuda? I don't know...

I dunno, it might be a Seagate series of drives now. They used to be their own company back when they made te Bigfoot which was sexy because it was a 5.25 inch drive in a mostly 3.5 inch world. Those extra inches of size made me feel a lot better when I had it in my computer.

The Bigfoot drives were the ones that killed the company. Maxtor bought them out. Seagate bought Maxtor out.

Those things were definitely unique.

Too bad the huge platters gave them long seek times.

Yup, they were really sluggish performers, but you could get lots of storage space for less money. I guess it wasn't _that_ much less money because they didn't sell very well. They also IIRC had a tendency to fail sooner than 3.5 inch drives.

Seagate and Western Digital, and to a lesser extent, HP and IBM.

If I was making a press release, I'd do it! Then again, it wouldn't be true because my company is an industry leader in its market.
Perhaps a disgruntled employee who knows he's on his way out could one day send one of those press releases and enough copies would be floating around the 'net before the company could revise it. :D

Perhaps a disgruntled employee who knows he's on his way out could one day send one of those press releases and enough copies would be floating around the 'net before the company could revise it. :D

*head scritches* Offhand, I don't really know of anyone who's disgruntled. Of course, I don't know everyone in the company, but people I've met are mostly happy with stuff. I guess that's a good thing.

Back