AMD Catalyst 12.6 and the AMD Catalyst 12.7 Beta

HardOCP News

[H] News
The folks at AMD just sent word that the new Catalyst 12.6 (WHQL) and the AMD Catalyst 12.7 Beta drivers are now available as are the 12.7 CAP. Hit the link for the complete list features, fixes and performance enhancements.

• AMD Radeon HD 7900, AMD Radeon HD 7800 Tri-CrossFire configurations + Eyefinity no longer results in a BSOD when launching a DirectX application
  • AMD Radeon HD 7900, AMD Radeon HD 7800 Eyefinity/Multiple Display configurations no longer results in a BSOD when using desktop applications
  • AMD Catalyst 12.6 includes some additional fixes(not found in the AMD Catalyst 12.6 Beta) for the AMD Radeon™ HD 7900, AMD Radeon HD 7800, and AMD Radeon HD 7700 graphics cards for issues related to the GPU hanging when the system goes to sleep. Please ensure that your System BIOS is up to date. Some occurrences of this issue may be related to outdated System BIOS.
  • Resolves CrossFire scaling issues seen in AMD Catalyst 12.4 with Elder Scrolls: Skyrim CrossFire • AMD Catalyst Control Center – Overdrive page is no longer intermittently missing
  • AMD Catalyst Control Center – GPU Activity gauge is no longer missing
  • AMD Radeon HD 7900 CrossFire Configuration – no longer results in system hang after cinematic in Call Of Duty: Black Ops
  • Heroes and Generals: Blocky corruption in scenes with smoke effects when run in DirectX 11 mode are no longer experienced.
  • Dirt Showdown: Improves scaling for CrossFire configurations using the AMD Radeon HD 6000 Series
  • HDMI audio is no longer disabled if the connected HDTV is powered Off/On.

Comments

Was having issues with sleep in 12.6 beta with a 6970. Hopefully the 12.7s resolve the issue

The beta package is corrupt and the release notes for the beta don't exist. Nicely done AMD.

AT&T's CDN must be having issues then. wget from another machine downloaded it in full.

I'm thinking about getting a couple 7770's to replace my 560 Ti (I have a crossfire mobo) but I've been reading in the past months that the drivers have been pretty bad lately. Is this still continuing or are the drivers starting to improve?

Its about f'ing time! That HDMI audio issue has been driving me crazy! Trying these out when I get home tonight.

HDMI audio is no longer disabled if the connected HDTV is powered Off/On.

This should have been fixed months ago. I will never buy an AMD card again, my last "red" card before the 7970 was the 9600pro. Since then I've been using nVidia cards up until now. I've never had such stupid issues go unfixed for this long using nVidia cards. AMD has lost my support.

So much for things getting simpler. I've about had enough of this AMD driver horseshit.

Hmmm, fixed crossfire issue in Skyrim, as far as I can tell, yet created new issues. Looks much nicer than before, including the glitches in the healthbars, the shout bar, the compass.
At least they are different ones now, right? :)

Been waiting on this sooo long...I use my Rig to run my theater and it's been driving me crazy.....
The whole time I thought it was the 7970 causing the problem in my HTPC. I had to program a TV power toggle button on my Harmony remote which I ended up using quite often (turning the tv off and then back on restored the audio). I think the issue may be been there for quite some time but I never ran into the issue until I removed the HDMI switch out of the chain. I think the switch kept the audio link up on the HTPC. Anyway, hopefully this is truly fixed.

And the HDMI audio still doesn't work if I dont extend my desk top to the damn Reciver... No more Red team for me after this it's driving me crazy.. Only does this crap with my 7970 card with the new audio crap.. Makes me have so many damn hand shaking issues and can't test my video files with out turning on my projector. If I pop in my old 6850 everything works fine.

12.6 WHQL and 12.7 BETA both don't like my system. I get studdering when opening and closing windows, my taskbar studders/flashes as well(best description I can come up with) and my Intel RST RAID manager shows a blank window when I bring it up.

The 12.6 June 06 BETA however works without issue with the 12.7CAP. Odd. But as long as I have a stable driver to work with I'm good.

Scooter, did you try a clean install? Maybe you have legacy files from an older version...

Also,
AMD Radeon HD 7900, AMD Radeon HD 7800 Tri-CrossFire configurations + Eyefinity no longer results in a BSOD when launching a DirectX application

Are you freakin' serious AMD? Please hire more people for your software dept, jesus fucking christ.

Looks much nicer than before, including the glitches in the healthbars, the shout bar, the compass.

Are you saying the glitches look better or that they are gone?

Because my Skyrim HUD gets all crapped up with the 12.7 beta.

do they change anything from the 12.6 beta to the whql version?

12.6 wrecked my hybrid crossfire system, and it's been giving me problems on my 7850 system too.

I'm having worse performance in Skyrim with 12.6 WHQL vs 12.6 Beta. I can't even get smooth 60fps inside Breezehome, it's all stuttery.

Are you saying the glitches look better or that they are gone?

Because my Skyrim HUD gets all crapped up with the 12.7 beta.
Oh no, not gone, just different issues. My HUD is distressed as well with the 12.7 beta's. The characters and landscape look better. The stuttering is gone. Looks cleaner and smoother, with the exception of the HUD. Which previously was not an issue.

I dunno if there is really any improvement with anything else tho. D3 looks the same, haven't played much of anything else.

12.6 betas gave me random solid blue or black screens.
Went back to 12.4 all better. Dare I try 12.7 beta

I'm fairly confident the since Trinity the main engineering dept folks are back trying to fix the shambles that was the 7970 driver releases. There has been significant improvement in the last two weeks alone than the last 6 months.

Oh no, not gone, just different issues. My HUD is distressed as well with the 12.7 beta's. The characters and landscape look better. The stuttering is gone. Looks cleaner and smoother, with the exception of the HUD. Which previously was not an issue.

I dunno if there is really any improvement with anything else tho. D3 looks the same, haven't played much of anything else.

if you set shadow maps to anything but 4096, it will clear up the issue.

its currently being investigated by AMD.

There is no problerm with 12.6, only 12,7

if you set shadow maps to anything but 4096, it will clear up the issue.

its currently being investigated by AMD.

Really? That's surprising. Oh, I mean the part where they're investigating it.

;)

Can anyone confirm if the 12.7 beta drivers really increase performance in Skyrim?

Scooter, did you try a clean install? Maybe you have legacy files from an older version...

Yup. Did it using the simple uninstall.. reboot.. install.. reboot. And uninstall.. driversweeper.. reboot.. install.. reboot. The new 12.6 WHQL and 12.7 BETA both had issues. The 12.6 June 6 BETA works without a hitch. The 12.6 June 6 seems to be a much smaller installation. I'm wondering if it's one of the extra items in the later drivers(like the AMD transcoding) that's causing the issue as it's not in the 12.6 June 6 BETA. Maybe I'll try a driver only and CCC install later.

;)

Can anyone confirm if the 12.7 beta drivers really increase performance in Skyrim?

Running two 5870's in xfire and I seemed to notice a positive difference.

Hoooooooooooly shit, the 12.6 drivers just turned off the display. Signal is going to the monitor, computer is on and running normally, but there is nothing on the screen.

Can you walk through what you did to get to that glitch?

Rebooted my computer and the dialog box for Catalyst that said the new drivers were available showed up, so I chose to download now. Downloaded in Catalyst, then set to install. Chose custom install, did not check or uncheck anything, then proceeded. Screen went out when the new drivers were detected, came back on with a blank screen.

^^^ Happened to me as well. Had to unplug my monitor and plug it back in to get video again.

;)

investigation was quoted from an official AMD beta tester from another site..

AMD are going down the pan. What, they can't support their one year old products anymore? When was the last time they fixed anything for the older cards? I have a 6970 that would quite like some "new" drivers, but I guess that the nearly bankrupt AMD can no longer afford the driver team's wages!

Either that, or they have quietly outsourced to India.

Do you have issues with the 6970 though?
The old adage of if it ain't broke, don't fix it, might apply in your case.
Otherwise, I get your frustration.

Has anyone had an GSOD while viewing Flash videos with the latest plugin (11.3 r300)? I'm not sure if it is just Flash, or a compatibility issue between Flash and 12.6. Clocks on my 7750 are stock 830/1125, and it isn't overheating (idling at 38C)...

6970 lightning crossfire here..
still using 12.3... tried 12.4 (lot of issues)
i'm afraid to try 12.6 and 12.7beta..

anyone here using 6970 lightning xfire with 12.6/12.6 beta/12.7 beta?
please do share..

I just added a second 6970 and run 12.6. I had to do a fresh install of Windows to get it to work but it is working in BF3 anyways. (all I play).

I have never been able to go from one set of AMD drivers to the next without a fresh install of windows. Even now one card gets stuck on slow clocks and I to disable crossfire and then re-enable it to get it wake up but then it usually works for a few days without issue. Performance is less than I hoped for but I can live with it.

Back