Another Xbox Music Service Rumor Surfaces

HardOCP News

[H] News
Bloomberg, quoting several people with "knowledge of the situation" claims that Microsoft plans to launch an Xbox music service to rival Apple and Spotify.

By combining the best features of competing services, Microsoft seeks to build a digital product that lets customers consume music any way they like. The maker of the Xbox console is building the new music business after its unsuccessful effort with the Zune service, which will close and move customers to Xbox Music, the company said on its website.

Glad I didnt get too used too zune, I actually already prefer it to itunes

Yea, Xbox music... Going for the Xbox branding instead of the dead Zune (which the hardware came and went, came and went, came and went - then said the Zune brand isn't dead, it's still alive and well, just the hardware was done). Xbox is a more valuable brand, of course, but Microsoft needs to stay in the game more than usual. They kill anything that doesn't last more than a year or two then drop all support for it.

I think people prefer anything over iTunes. It's a disgrace on Windows. I hope its better on Mac, otherwise - WTF Apple. iTunes is a horrible music manager. Hell, it can't even manage multiple iDevices in my home (my iPad, wifes iPad, 2 iPhones - son and wife). It will throw music on one, then half on another then apps are spread around (some on one, others on a different one) and all sorts of weird shit... It is never consistent.

Why not bring back the damn Zune service than friggin Microsoft, sheesh.

If your gonna compete, bring back the Zune!

/me hugs his 40GB Original Zune.

This is getting retarded and a moving head fast to market saturation. This will end in a huge bubble bursting in the market.

Spotify and Netflix type services are the future. People want on demand streaming content. They no longer want to manage discs or files between devices.

Spotify in general is a great deal at $10 or so...

The major problem is the RIAA, Studios in Hollywood, The cable companies, and cell phone companies throwing hissy fits instead of adapting.

RIAA and Hollywood want you to pay for every device you want to listen or watch on... fuck THAT!

The cable co's/cell phone co's are clinging to their over priced inflated cable packages, these are out dated. Eventually the whole industry needs to realize that going direct to the customer and around the consumer is the way to go. Unfortuatly they will have to strong arm the cable co's and get them to stop strangling the bandwidth to consumers. This will allow high quality video and audio to be provided via stream, and (say TNT for instance) allow cable stations to stream there channel on the net to subscribers. XBMC, WMC, Apple TV, Roku, WDTVLive, etc are all great setup tops to put channels on.

But i will end my rant because this will never happen.

Rumor? What rumor? They announced it at E3, and I even sent the link in with very skimpy details about it to steve and the news email here.

It's happening, heck even the App has been in all the windows 8 previews.

Back