Lawyerbots Replacing Human Lawyers

HardOCP News

[H] News
On the surface, this seems like a great idea. That is, until the machines take over the world and the first wave of robot overlords already have lawyerbots. Think about it. :eek:

Software that sifts through millions of documents for relevant information gets the green light to replace human lawyers "The courts are signaling that if properly implemented and validated, these tools are reasonable and defensible," says Grossman. "I believe we will begin to see increased acceptance and adoption of technology-assisted approaches."

Would be better to replace politicians... I mean, how would they be bribed? Organic oil? :p

Also, lawyers already have cold and dead eyes, who's going to notice...:confused:

This sounds more like glorified search bots. Sounds like they'll replace paralegals moreso than actual lawyers.

Would be better to replace politicians...

All a representative does is represent the people that elected them. If a piece of software can accurately represent the intent of the people why not replace them? They do a horribly inefficient job anyway. Basically shitty middle-ware that misconstrues what the people want.

This sounds more like glorified search bots. Sounds like they'll replace paralegals moreso than actual lawyers.

+1 this seems more likely to replace paralegals and a lot of Junior lawyers, but not lawyers in general. You will still need lawyers to argue cases based off the information found. It may cut down the large number of lawyers, but not lawyers in general.

If they replace lawyers GREAT!

Now you won't go to jail for giving in to your instincts and shooting them on sight!

I was thinking the same thing. This is going to make it hard for new people to get into the door now that the grunt work that earns them their stripes is now done by robots.

So, instead of blowing us up, skynet will just sue us into oblivion?

I welcome our new searchbot lawyer masters. At least when they overcharge me for their services, I'll know some of the money is going to find a good home in the pockets of other IT people who did the development and maintain the lawyer server farm. :D

The goal is to cut down the cost on large document searches for case-relevant information where the files are already in digital format. No lawyer at a big firm is doing this sort of work anyway. Either they hire a pile of people to do it or their existing paralegals and clerks do it. A small-timer might do his own research but he's also not combining through hundreds of thousands of documents.

I was thinking the same thing. This is going to make it hard for new people to get into the door now that the grunt work that earns them their stripes is now done by robots.

I seriously doubt that since it is putting together a case based on the information that makes your stripes. Paralegals are usually the ones that do research and gather information, not junior lawyers.

I seriously doubt that since it is putting together a case based on the information that makes your stripes. Paralegals are usually the ones that do research and gather information, not junior lawyers.

Hmm, I would figure the process was paralegal -> junior lawyer -> lawyer. I was envisioning that every lawyer earned his/her stripes by doing crazy research and info gathering for their junior lawyers/lawyers until they upgrade a level.

Hmm, I would figure the process was paralegal -> junior lawyer -> lawyer. I was envisioning that every lawyer earned his/her stripes by doing crazy research and info gathering for their junior lawyers/lawyers until they upgrade a level.

So...what you're saying is that being a lawyer only requires a level grind for 3 levels and after that it turns into nothing but raiding endlessly for gear? That doesn't sound like a very fun MMO. Who made it? Is there a RMAH? We already know by this thread that it has a bunch of dirty gold farming bots.

So...what you're saying is that being a lawyer only requires a level grind for 3 levels and after that it turns into nothing but raiding endlessly for gear? That doesn't sound like a very fun MMO. Who made it? Is there a RMAH? We already know by this thread that it has a bunch of dirty gold farming bots.

*Chuckle* I think you were trying too hard with this one. It has to come naturally. Let the force flow through you young padawan.... :D

Better report those people for botting. Layer MMO is lame. IT MMO is much better, more classes and more levels with a good amount of gold farming.

Also when our robot overlords take over these lawyers will prove us guilty in every sense and have us executed. It's the cats fault!

all that goes through my head is Bender from Futurama becoming a lawyer and the resulting robots name becoming Law-Bender.

Why don't we have robot referees yet?

Good question. I think we could improve technology but we may not replace live referee on the field just yet.

I think a field/football with sensors would be a great idea. Put a touch sensitive strip at the perimeter of the field so you know whether the players feet were on the ground or not when he caught the ball.

the NBA is the worst. Imagine if it were impossible to flop and get fouls called like Ginobili or Gasol do on a regular basis lol

Better report those people for botting. Layer MMO is lame. IT MMO is much better, more classes and more levels with a good amount of gold farming.

Also when our robot overlords take over these lawyers will prove us guilty in every sense and have us executed. It's the cats fault!

An IT MMO would be a lot more fun! Though, my characters would all probably die horribly by getting tangled up in and strangled to death by the messes I leave in communications closets.

Wait...the cats? I _knew_ they were somehow involved in this plot! It's the smoked garlic rub for all of us!

Lawyers without hearts or spines?
Nobody is going to notice.

if we keep going this router unemployment rate is going to be 50%

a common misconception. Introducing labor-saving machinery does not increase unemployment in the long-run, but there is a transition period where people have to learn new trades. This is just part of the cycle of new technology, however, and should not be feared.

An IT MMO would be a lot more fun! Though, my characters would all probably die horribly by getting tangled up in and strangled to death by the messes I leave in communications closets.

Wait...the cats? I _knew_ they were somehow involved in this plot! It's the smoked garlic rub for all of us!

Haha I know what you mean, my network chars got entangled and strangled by CAT6 cables last few times I ventured to the network closet dungeons. Luckily I have leveled up since then.

Lol and very much so, lots of smoked garlic rub for the lot of us :p.

Haha I know what you mean, my network chars got entangled and strangled by CAT6 cables last few times I ventured to the network closet dungeons. Luckily I have leveled up since then.

Lol and very much so, lots of smoked garlic rub for the lot of us :p.

I always go for the sales character and so I can basically Best Buy-sit all day and rip off the noobs looking for gear. I'm pretty sure that even the 5-port Linksys with CAT5 would murder me most of the time, but I usually hide behind the Long Haul and SQL guys on server room raids until everything is dead and then steal all the good drops.

I'm pretty sure I caught my cat ordering a pepper grinder on Amazon yesterday. He emptied the web cache and is denying it, but I know what I saw!!! >.<

I always go for the sales character and so I can basically Best Buy-sit all day and rip off the noobs looking for gear. I'm pretty sure that even the 5-port Linksys with CAT5 would murder me most of the time, but I usually hide behind the Long Haul and SQL guys on server room raids until everything is dead and then steal all the good drops.

I'm pretty sure I caught my cat ordering a pepper grinder on Amazon yesterday. He emptied the web cache and is denying it, but I know what I saw!!! >.<

Haha your quite the opportunist :p.

LOL yeah yesterday my girlfriends cat jumped up on me and laid down and began clawing at my legs in a tenderizing motion so I tucked tail and got the hell out of dodge. Pretty sure he's getting me ready for the BBQ. I'm going to have to keep my eye on him.

Haha your quite the opportunist :p.

That's a good way to say it! Most people use less polite descriptive terms. ;) Really, somone -should- make a MMO for us! *taps screen* Are you listening EA Games? We all know your a bunch of jerks, but go do something for us anyway! And pay us money for coming up with the idea first. :D

LOL yeah yesterday my girlfriends cat jumped up on me and laid down and began clawing at my legs in a tenderizing motion so I tucked tail and got the hell out of dodge. Pretty sure he's getting me ready for the BBQ. I'm going to have to keep my eye on him.

Mine does that to me a lot. At first, I thought he was being cute; then I thought he was being perverted and kinky, but now I'm pretty sure he's trying to figure out which parts to eat raw and which ones he wants to marinade and grill. No doubt, the Robo-Lawyer will be helping him in court when I turn up dead.

+1 this seems more likely to replace paralegals and a lot of Junior lawyers, but not lawyers in general. You will still need lawyers to argue cases based off the information found. It may cut down the large number of lawyers, but not lawyers in general.

I specialize in litigation. This software essentially is designed to separate the useful documents from the irrelevant. Once you have the "useful," an attorney still needs to review it and incorporate it where appropriate. In litigation where 1 million documents (or more) might be produced between the parties, companies are keep from having armies of lawyers review each document.

That's a good way to say it! Most people use less polite descriptive terms. ;) Really, somone -should- make a MMO for us! *taps screen* Are you listening EA Games? We all know your a bunch of jerks, but go do something for us anyway! And pay us money for coming up with the idea first. :D

Mine does that to me a lot. At first, I thought he was being cute; then I thought he was being perverted and kinky, but now I'm pretty sure he's trying to figure out which parts to eat raw and which ones he wants to marinade and grill. No doubt, the Robo-Lawyer will be helping him in court when I turn up dead.

That would be quite the MMO lol. And I agree, EA get your ass to work on this, also we demand credit + at least 60% of the profits for the idea.

Yeah I thought that same exact thing, at first I was like "aww kitteh :D", but then it hurt, he wouldn't stop, and he would do it consistently with an evil look on his face. Better level up our lawyers some more, or craft a device that weakens the robo lawyers because they definitely won't be representing us :eek:!

That would be quite the MMO lol. And I agree, EA get your ass to work on this, also we demand credit + at least 60% of the profits for the idea.

Yeah I thought that same exact thing, at first I was like "aww kitteh :D", but then it hurt, he wouldn't stop, and he would do it consistently with an evil look on his face. Better level up our lawyers some more, or craft a device that weakens the robo lawyers because they definitely won't be representing us :eek:!

60% sounds completely reasonable to me. *whipcracks at EA* Go and do our bidding or we'll ship a crate filled with cute kitties to you!

I wonder if robo-lawyers are shielded from solar flares. If not, as long as the cats go to trial during a period of high solar activity, their legal representation will spend the duration of the procedings in a state of constant BSODs and boot looping. :)

60% sounds completely reasonable to me. *whipcracks at EA* Go and do our bidding or we'll ship a crate filled with cute kitties to you!

I wonder if robo-lawyers are shielded from solar flares. If not, as long as the cats go to trial during a period of high solar activity, their legal representation will spend the duration of the procedings in a state of constant BSODs and boot looping. :)

If it was massive enough to disrupt electrical systems then we should surely win. If all else fails, EMP will do the trick :D!

If it was massive enough to disrupt electrical systems then we should surely win. If all else fails, EMP will do the trick :D!

That's a great idea! I guess I'll hafta wrap one of my laptops in tinfoil so I can surf the web after the EMP messes up the entire world's electronics and throws us back into the stone age.

Zarathustra[H];1038881118 said:
But are they licensed to practice law? :p

They would effectively replace paralegals. It's already happening now I imagine.

That's a great idea! I guess I'll hafta wrap one of my laptops in tinfoil so I can surf the web after the EMP messes up the entire world's electronics and throws us back into the stone age.

Faraday box around my house should do the trick, don't feel like using that much tinfoil lol.

Faraday box around my house should do the trick, don't feel like using that much tinfoil lol.

You know, I was just thinking...
derailed-train-derailed-thread-demotivational-poster-1237346157.jpg

...and it's our fault. Our mods might not be happy with us. :p

You know, I was just thinking...
derailed-train-derailed-thread-demotivational-poster-1237346157.jpg

...and it's our fault. Our mods might not be happy with us. :p

LOL so true, we ran off on a tangent and derailed the whole thread.

/rerail ;)

So anyways, I would not like these lawyer bots being used as a primary entity, but rather a helper if it goes that far.

You guys are in such a mood today. I'm convinced that is because on the scale of crazy things we have heard today, Robot Lawyers and The Great Cat Revolt come in somewhere close to the bottom.:D

Back