Pirate Bay Founder Fined For ‘Continued Involvement’ In The Site

HardOCP News

[H] News
It seems the courts just keep piling the fines on The Pirate Bay founders. This guy seems pretty laid back considering he will never be able to own anything nice, you know, like...ever.

Although the amount levied by the District Court is significant, Neij appears unfazed. “I don’t mind civil cases,” he told us. “I don’t live in Sweden, and it’s not like an extra $71,000 would hurt the $10,606,000 I already owe.” Along with the other founders of The Pirate Bay, Neij does indeed owe millions of dollars in damages and fines so his predicament and attitude is perhaps best summed up by paraphrasing the earlier words of fellow site founder Peter Sunde. “Why stay at just a few million dollars?” Sunde said. “Why not make it a billion dollars instead?”

Shoulda named the site the "Everyone here obeys all laws everywhere Bay". Then no one would EVER have suspected them.

Isn't there a phrase out there about poking a hornet nest with a stick or something?

Thats actually pretty funny, since he will never have to pay it if he doesnt live in Sweden. Or am I mistaken?

His Mom's mansion, car, pool, jet, few people will actualy check the title whether it's "his" or his "Mom's", and the one's that do....will see that the possessions are his "Mom's" :D

That whole situation is stupid. They should just lock him up or quit harassing him, telling him to pay 10 million and then tacking on more fines wont make him more likely to pay a debt that he already cant afford to pay any way.

It could still be meaningful, as he could capitalize on it and make millions elsewhere, which at some point in the future a local government could easily be coerced into extraditing him in exchange for getting to keep a portion of his assets with the rest being turned over to Sweden.

...And the site is still up.

Real bang-up, cracker jack job they did trying to "take down" TPB. :rolleyes:

...And the site is still up.

Real bang-up, cracker jack job they did trying to "take down" TPB. :rolleyes:

Thanks to magnetic links its pretty much impossible to halt torrent sites since the hash information is now inside the torrent "cloud" if you will. Even if Pirate Bay was actually "switched" off tomorrow , they could form a new site inside of a day and have everything up and running.

All this is now is a giant waste of tax payers time.

A perfect example of why the world needs serious copyright reform. The current laws don't work and merely show how broken the present system is.

I read MAFIAA in that article as MAFIA, not that there's much of a difference..

The courts can suck it. My contempt for nearly all "justice" systems in this world is seldom equaled by anything else. These guys are heroes.

The courts can suck it. My contempt for nearly all "justice" systems in this world is seldom equaled by anything else. These guys are heroes.

I wouldn't call them heroes , maybe unlikely proponents of an anti-enforcement movement but they are by no means heroic. They make money off that site you know , a lot of advertising money in fact. Personally I'm glad they are around since they demonstrate the wrongs of abused copyright law and the overreaching arm of all modern day Governments but I would never label these guys folk heroes.

I'd be slightly curious how much money was spent by the court system in legal fees, paid judges, lawyers, hearings, etc paid for by tax payers to levy this additional $71k that will never be paid. Almost seems like society should sue the MAFIAA for these costs as any sentient being knows that the pirate bay founders will not be able to pay this sum now or in the future making it a waste of the courts time that could have been used to prosecute actual cases with some merrit.

I wouldn't call them heroes , maybe unlikely proponents of an anti-enforcement movement but they are by no means heroic. They make money off that site you know , a lot of advertising money in fact. Personally I'm glad they are around since they demonstrate the wrongs of abused copyright law and the overreaching arm of all modern day Governments but I would never label these guys folk heroes.

I dont mind them making alittle money off the site. Do you know how much it costs to run a server each month.

What angers me even more is how as a private company these copyright folks have twisted law to get the government to pay for what they should be footing the bill for. So now I as a US citizen am paying for something that I dont agree with.

I dont mind them making alittle money off the site. Do you know how much it costs to run a server each month.

What angers me even more is how as a private company these copyright folks have twisted law to get the government to pay for what they should be footing the bill for. So now I as a US citizen am paying for something that I dont agree with.

That's just it , they don't have to much at all to run Pirate Bay. That's what you gotta understand now or people do I mean. Magnetic Links store information about the hash in the active torrent so you no longer have to host the hash information on the site when you download the .torrent. Instead once you grab the magnetic link (which contains only a URL for your torrent client) its virtually fractional in size compared to a .torrent and it has the benefit of being harder to trace through the torrent.

Right now even with all the traffic they get , they aren't paying shit for their server to host mag links. They may not be millionaires but they are far from "suffering".

They should re-pronounce the site as Pirat eBay. :D Pirat would be pronounced pee-ROT. :p

What's worse is not the fine, but the reason for the fine. He was unable to prove that he was no longer involved. So they automatically fined him. It's assumed that he's still involved, even though in the final decision of the Swedish Supreme Court he's guilty of past involvement with the site, meaning the only involvement of his that was proven was in the past, but there's no proof of him being involved with the site now. But because he failed to prove that he was NOT involved, it's supposed that he is still is.

The key words were when he said he doesn't live in Sweden. He lives somewhere else and can make money / own nice things just fine. Sweden's civil judgement most likely does not apply there, so he doesn't give a rats ass. He just can't do it in Sweden, where they can lien/garnish/etc.

What's worse is not the fine, but the reason for the fine. He was unable to prove that he was no longer involved. So they automatically fined him. It's assumed that he's still involved, even though in the final decision of the Swedish Supreme Court he's guilty of past involvement with the site, meaning the only involvement of his that was proven was in the past, but there's no proof of him being involved with the site now. But because he failed to prove that he was NOT involved, it's supposed that he is still is.

Yeah. How exactly do you prove that?

It's like the celestial teapot fallacy all over again, kinda sad he has to try and prove a negative.

I read MAFIAA in that article as MAFIA, not that there's much of a difference..

There is no difference. Both are extortionists and seem willing to do just about anything for money they didn't rightfully earn.

Back